Wiki Posts
Search

Iberia or LAN to Lima?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN + OW Gold + HH Gold + Club Carlson Gold + SPG Gold
Iberia or LAN to Lima?

Group trip to Lima from MUC over MAD to Lima in Y.

Could choose btw old IB 340 or LAN 767 from MAD.

Do anyone have any experiences - flying from MAD to Latin America - that could give me a short comparative chart in the following categories?

I: Seat
II: Food (Quality and amount)
III: Pre-seat assignment. I've heard that with IB you have to pay 40 euros a person to sit together traveling in a group. Would this also be the case with LAN on Codeshared IB-ticket?
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
I have travelled Madrid to Lima both with LAN and Iberia quite many times. LAN has better entertainment system and you can choose your at checkin. Iberia assigns seats randomly at checkin if you don't pay.

Pointwise IB-coded LA-operated flights might be optimal solution but this is probably too complicated for group booking...

Last edited by miikkak; Dec 22, 2014 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 22, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
IIRC, You can select seats on IB as part of a group booking.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN + OW Gold + HH Gold + Club Carlson Gold + SPG Gold
Thanks! Any perks if you are OW Gold flying IB/LAN with exeption of lounge and luggage? An my I ask what you would go for all in all btw IB/LAN?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:28 pm

Iberia or LAN to Lima?

If everything else is equal and both departure times work for you, I would recommend LA over IB.

The passenger experience is considerably better. (Usually)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Flew into London last night on 340 which had previously done Lima to Madrid. It was ancient tacky and not nice and the thought of doing Lima on that would worry me. Overhead TV screens for gods sake?!! This is 2015. Never flown LAN but surely better than IB!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, AF FlyingBlue Gold, Aegean Miles&Bonus Gold
Do check the aircraft type if its an A340-600 or the A-340-500 which is the configuration of the A346 you want! Flew with them on J but on Y you will pretty have the same entertainment as LAN. A345 offers the new configuration on J and Y. Do have a good meal on the lounge before the flight as food on iB tends to be terrible, even on J. LAN meals are slightly better but nothing to remember about. If i was you if IB is offering A-345 on that specific day go for it over LAN. LAN's B763 are getting older and older and they fly them every single day. Also take into account timings, if you want to sleep the whole night and wake up in Lima go for LAN, if you want a full day light flight go for IB. Both return back to Europe at night time.

Cheers
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
For me, Iberia wins hands-down if you are a single traveller. The 1-2-1 configuration is just so superior to having to share a row with a stranger that there is just no comparison. With the seat privacy, it is far closer to a "First Class" experience IMHO. For me, Iberia J wins over LAN J if I have a choice. ^^^

Last edited by postular; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:15 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: All Expired... :-(
Originally Posted by miikkak
LAN has better entertainment system
I haven't done Madrid-Lima, but I've done some some similar Madrid-South America destinations on both Iberia and LAN, and in Y I find LAN much better.

The entertainment system was much better, and I thought the food was better too.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by postular
Foe me, Iberia wins hands-down if you are a single traveller. The 1-2-1 configuration is just so superior to having to share a row with a stranger that there is just no comparison. With the seat privacy, it is far closer to a "First Class" experience IMHO. For me, Iberia J wins over LAN J if I have a choice. ^^^
The OP has clearly specified that is a group booking in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.