Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Made a mistake booking, hit with $25 fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Made a mistake booking, hit with $25 fee

So I made a mistake on dates for a return flight, caught it within AN HOUR but Iberia phone agent said the best they could do was refund me the ticket minus a $25 fee. Even OneWorld Sapphire, no budge.

So did that, then went online and rebooked.

Curious if this is standard? For USA airlines, they have to give a 24hr window to fix things.
Likely I can ask my credit card for a credit via purchase protection, but would rather Iberia take the heat.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
So I made a mistake on dates for a return flight, caught it within AN HOUR but Iberia phone agent said the best they could do was refund me the ticket minus a $25 fee. Even OneWorld Sapphire, no budge.

So did that, then went online and rebooked.

Curious if this is standard? For USA airlines, they have to give a 24hr window to fix things.
Likely I can ask my credit card for a credit via purchase protection, but would rather Iberia take the heat.

Any thoughts?
Iberia do permit cancellations within 24 hours. However I'm not sure if this applies only for telephone bookings:

If you book a fare, which requires immediate payment, you may cancel it, without charge, within 24 hours of making the booking. If a refund is required, this can only be carried out where the ticket was originally issued: Serviberia, Iberia ticket offices or authorised agencies.

It seems rather odd if it doesn't apply to online bookings as well. See the following from IB's site: http://www.iberia.com/gb/service-commitment/. If I were you, I'd take this up with IB.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Iberia do permit cancellations within 24 hours. However I'm not sure if this applies only for telephone bookings:

If you book a fare, which requires immediate payment, you may cancel it, without charge, within 24 hours of making the booking. If a refund is required, this can only be carried out where the ticket was originally issued: Serviberia, Iberia ticket offices or authorised agencies.

It seems rather odd if it doesn't apply to online bookings as well. See the following from IB's site: http://www.iberia.com/gb/service-commitment/. If I were you, I'd take this up with IB.
THANK YOU. I will try again on getting the rest of my money back... seems like that policy there applies only to the phone, but its a start.
Either way, pretty ridiculous. Looks like in the USA, the 24-hr rule was introduced by the Department of Transportation as part of consumer protection laws. I'm surprised that theres no EU regulation thats similar, as usually the US seems to be behind with consumer protection vs. the EU.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
IB lets you book and then pay within 24 hours. I very rarely pay when I book for this reason. Lets me go back and double check everything with fresh eyes before I hand over any money.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
THANK YOU. I will try again on getting the rest of my money back... seems like that policy there applies only to the phone, but its a start.
Either way, pretty ridiculous. Looks like in the USA, the 24-hr rule was introduced by the Department of Transportation as part of consumer protection laws. I'm surprised that theres no EU regulation thats similar, as usually the US seems to be behind with consumer protection vs. the EU.
Is this issue covered in the EU by Distance Selling legislation? http://europa.eu/youreurope/business...e/index_en.htm.

Maybe the legal experts can help here.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Consider whether the amount of time you would spend and the angst involved is worth it to get $25 back. YMMV
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Update: Called Citi (AAdvantage Executive Card) - they said that since the ticket was non-refundable they wouldn't be able to dispute, but would give me 1000 AAdvantage miles as a goodwill gesture. I consider that to be some great customer service right there. (I also admitted this was my mistake)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.