Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connection time in Madrid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
The posts about minimum connect time are a bit concerning.... is there a difference in how they handle if you are in J vs Y? We are flying J ORD-MAD-FCO all on IB metal and we have 1:05 to connect, landing 7:40 am and taking off to FCO at 8:45 am. The next flight to FCO is not until 12:15 so if it's possible I would really like to stay on the earlier flight. I know we cannot predict the future but any experiences would be appreciated!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I do believe you get fast track security. It's to the right of the main security line when going back into T4. The US flights tend to be early if anything, as well. I would be fine with that connection, especially with a backup like that.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: KL Platinum
IB/KLM transfer

I'm flying MEX-MAD-AMS on two separate tickets, MEX-MAD with Iberia and MAD-AMS with KLM. According to schedule, there are 3 hr 10 min between flights, which I hope is enough to transfer.

Do you know if luggage can be checked through to AMS? I remember reading that they won't do it, but I can't find any relevant info on iberia.com

If luggage is checked-though, is there a way to transfer from T4S to T2 without remaining airside?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
Just back from a trip on which an assortment of schedule changes turned what was originally a 2 hr 10 min T4 (Iberia Express) - T4S (BA, last flight of the day to London) connection into a 50 minute connection. A late arrival into Madrid reduced it further, to about 40 minutes.

I was given my boarding passes for both flights with no comment when I checked in, and after running through T4 and T4S I was half expecting to be told I'd been offloaded when I arrived at the BA gate about 20 minutes before departure. But all was fine, and I was allowed on. I didn't have any checked luggage, which might have made a difference, and although travelling economy I was quite near the front of the Iberia Express flight, which certainly helped me make the connection.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
In order to avoid a 10 hour layover at TXL (due to an AB schedule change) I am seriously contemplating an ORD-MAD-VCE itinerary which only includes a 55 minute layover at MAD (IB 6274 to IB 3242). Has anyone reading this managed it successfully? If I understand what I have read in this thread, even a one minute delay in arrival at MAD would mean I'd be denied boarding the flight onto VCE as this would be below the threshold for a legal connection there.

The later in the day possibilities to get to VCE from MAD are NOT good.

Last edited by Clay_C.; Jan 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:32 am

You can make it quite easily with even a bit of delay. They won't rebook you automatically and the USA flights often arrive earlier than scheduled.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
You can make it quite easily with even a bit of delay. They won't rebook you automatically and the USA flights often arrive earlier than scheduled.
Thanks for the encouragement. I feel willing to risk a long layover for the reward of 7 more hours in Venice instead of accepting a long layover in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:30 am

We are considering the following itinerary in November, in business class:
Miami to Madrid by Iberia, then connecting by Qatar Airways to Doha.
The IB flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:40 AM and the QR flight starts at 9:20 AM.

1. How much time will it take for this connection, and is there time to use a lounge with showers? If yes, what are the best options?

2. We have US passports; what do we go through, security only or security and immigration in and out?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by raghu
We are considering the following itinerary in November, in business class:
Miami to Madrid by Iberia, then connecting by Qatar Airways to Doha.
The IB flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:40 AM and the QR flight starts at 9:20 AM.

1. How much time will it take for this connection, and is there time to use a lounge with showers? If yes, what are the best options?

2. We have US passports; what do we go through, security only or security and immigration in and out?

Thanks in advance.
You will arrive to T4S and QR also departs out of T4S so you will have to get a quick passport check (not immigration) and then security and get right back into the non-Schengen area. You will be able to use the Velázquez lounge which is quite nice assuming you have status or are flying business class.

The minimum connection time is 55 minutes for this, so you have plenty of time.

I will say that I'm not entirely sure about the T4S transfer process as MAD is always my destination.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hello everyone,

My husband, my one year old daughter, and I are flying LAX-MAD nonstop on Iberia. Due to traveling with the baby, we will most likely have to check luggage. I booked this leg of the trip on AA miles. We arrive at MAD at 14:15.

I'm thinking of using some Avios and purchasing a connecting flight on Iberia from MAD to Granada (GRX) that departs MAD at 15:45.

1-Is that enough time to make the MAD-GRX flight? I assume we have to go through Immigration and pick up our bags?

2-When checking in for our flight at LAX, can I show Iberia the boarding passes for our MAD-GRX flight and ask them to check our bags through to GRX which would save time and increase our chance in making our connection?

Thanks for your help everyone!
Ashley
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ashley1245

1-Is that enough time to make the MAD-GRX flight? I assume we have to go through Immigration and pick up our bags?
Bags are notoriously slow at MAD. You could easily find yourself getting off the plane at 14:30 and waiting well past 15:00 to get suitcases. That will be too late to rush upstairs and check-in again. Obviously with a baby this is much slower.

Originally Posted by ashley1245

2-When checking in for our flight at LAX, can I show Iberia the boarding passes for our MAD-GRX flight and ask them to check our bags through to GRX which would save time and increase our chance in making our connection?

Ashley
In theory this is not a problem, although others might opine with more recent experience. In practice you can find a lazy or untrained member of staff who will refuse to check beyond MAD, in which case you would be in trouble based on 1...

If there is Avios availability, why can't you call AA, pay the change fee and get an AA award ticket to GRX? No additional miles required.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If there is Avios availability, why can't you call AA, pay the change fee and get an AA award ticket to GRX? No additional miles required.
There is actually a schedule change on the lax-mad leg, so I can change the flight with no fee. However, AA is saying that there is no availability on the mad-grx leg on AA miles.

I went on BA.com and found the mad-grx leg for 5k miles so figured I would just transfer miles from my Ultimate Rewards points. I admit I'm not that advanced with mileage stuff yet, so I'm open to any and all suggestions if I'm doing something wrong! Thank you!
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Flying MEX > MAD in J on one ticket and checking one bag

We plan on flying MAD > BCN on a separate ticket

1. The MEX > MAD is scheduled to arrive at 1:15 pm. It appears as though there is a 2 pm and 3:30 from MAD > BCN on IB. Would there be enough time to connect to the 2 pm flight?

2. Will we be able to check our luggage in MEX and through to BCN on separate tickets?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Flying MEX > MAD in J on one ticket and checking one bag

We plan on flying MAD > BCN on a separate ticket

1. The MEX > MAD is scheduled to arrive at 1:15 pm. It appears as though there is a 2 pm and 3:30 from MAD > BCN on IB. Would there be enough time to connect to the 2 pm flight?

2. Will we be able to check our luggage in MEX and through to BCN on separate tickets?
1. No chance for 2 p.m. 3:30 should be fine. For sure on single ticket. Most probably on separate tickets. Puente Aereo shuttle is safer than booking on a particular flight since you can just take any flight.

2. In theory yes. In practice depends on the local staff being able and/or willing.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1.6 MM
I'm flying DFW-MAD on AA arriving 10:00 AM and MAD-RAK on Ryanair departing 1:30PM. I know that American arrives in T4S, I'm not checking bags. Is there a way to transfer from T4S to T1 airside? do i need to clear immigration? I have boarding pass for my Ryanair flight, but it requires a stamp for passport verification, is this something that can be done airside or do i need to go to Ryanair check-in counter outside in T1?

My brother and sister are flying PTY-MAD on Iberia and arrive at 10:30AM and they are on the same Ryanair flight to RAK. My brother is checking a bag in both legs of the trip. WIll he need to collect his bag at T4 and then go to T1 check-in counter?

Not sure if this matters, we are all in business class. If we have to clear immigration, are there special fast track lanes for premium travelers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.