Search

IB Releasing Award Availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
IB Releasing Award Availability

Hi all,

I am looking to use my avios on BOS-MAD-BOS in the second half of May. There's no J availability now, but does IB ever release award seats closer in as the departure date nears? I know BA does so, but many others don't.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
All you can do is keep checking. Somebody might cancel as well...

BA in my experience have gone away from the practice of releasing seats closer to departure however. I had been checking a recent flight almost daily in order to upgrade, only to find the J cabin half empty!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
In my experience, IB releases tons of award seats far out but none whatsoever closer in.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
Originally Posted by oneworld82
In my experience, IB releases tons of award seats far out but none whatsoever closer in.
Thats true. Same experience.
If all Awards seats are gone, they wont release more......
Old May 1, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
IME it is quite difficult to find Biz awards to certain destinations, even far out.
Old May 2, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: IB Plus Gold
You could call the IB Plus Center, and maybe they put you on the waiting list.
This helped me last year and I got 2 seats in Business, which have not been available online. And I waited only 3 or 4 days to get it confirmed.

Spainfly
Old May 2, 2014, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by spainfly
You could call the IB Plus Center, and maybe they put you on the waiting list.
This helped me last year and I got 2 seats in Business, which have not been available online. And I waited only 3 or 4 days to get it confirmed.

Spainfly
Do you know if this is a benefit for IB elites, or just any member? Since you got Business, I assume it was an overseas flight. Is that correct? Thanks!
Old May 2, 2014, 8:52 pm

Once flying on a revenue ticket, I had the AA agent put me on the "waitlist" for a J seat on IB. Turns out that it cleared immediately and we were confirmed automatically.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: all

agree...that is what i see.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:20 am

I know this is a late post which won't help your trip for May, but I found that if you keep checking limited awards can open.

I was trying to get flights from BOS-MAD-BOS for 2 adults and 1 infant in Sept or Oct and saw nothing for weeks. I almost booked in November but then checked on Tuesday (July 8) and found economy award depart 9/20 return 10/4 which fit our needs, I was able to book it the next day once my Avios transfer from Amex went through.

This definitely was not there previously as I had been searching for a while, mainly using the Quantas search engine. I just checked this AM and there is no award availability on those same dates this AM, so they may not release many!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:47 pm

That's the sense I'm getting. My wife and I are going from Miami to Madrid in business during May of 2015. On their website there's a ton of availability. Got to burn through those AA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.