Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

I've cancelled a couple economy(not 'blue') avios award tickets and they are meant to be fully refundable. The call centers refused to credit the Avios manually and its been more than a week already - neither the tax nor avios has been refunded. I've done this several times in last 2 years and I always got the Avios instantly when requested - taxes were refunded within a week(an email was sent in a couple days after cancel).

Anyone else having same issue?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm in the same boat. I cancelled a business class avios award booking but never get ANY refund. I don't even get any email confirmation. Every time I call their US call center, I got response like "it will be resolved in 24 hours". What now?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Time to make an official complaint.

http://www.iberia.com/web/obsmenu.do...ickaccess=true
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Update, finally got my refund (avios and tax). Looks like PM to Iberia's Facebook really helps!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: Chicago Transit Authority: Kevlar
Good Afternoon Iberia Ticket cancellers. I cancelled a one way ticket for 2 this past Monday 7-7-14. No email, No Avios re-deposit, no fees return to credit card. They have a daily non-stop ORD-MAD and vise versa. I appreciate all of your comments and will be monitoring this string. I just signed up for Twitter for the 1st time in anticipation of needing to start sending messages and I also appreciate the link to the official complaint form. The agent did say it could take up to 30 days the 1st time I contacted them and then I called again and the agent said 20 days. To be continued.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
wait 5 working days, if they dont post, contact them on the official facebook page. They will resolve it within a few hours (my experience).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: Chicago Transit Authority: Kevlar
I'm back. Good Morning. Thank you NorthernStar84. I went onto Facebook with my Iberia account open yesterday 7-18-14, and requested the return of the Avios to the account and fees back to the credit card. Both posted this morning 7-19-14. Total 12 days from cancel. I am sure it would have dragged on without the Facebook message (do a PM at the top of the page, don't post a general message). Without Flyertalk community guidance the general public is at their mercy.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do they only refund for their own elite members or are all Avios bookings via Iberia free to cancel without penalty?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
25 euro fee on Blue and Business cancellations. Don't know what the USD equivalent is.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do they only refund for their own elite members or are all Avios bookings via Iberia free to cancel without penalty?
Only Iberia FLIGHTS, not all avoid points bookings.

So if you want to book with Avios points a partner (non-IB) flight, move them to BAEC and book from there.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So I'm $crewed?

Resurrecting this thread because I am in the same position. Need to cancel a basic ticket purchased with Iberia Avios on American Airlines flight. Iberia saying "no refund of Avios for cancelation of ticket" and "no supervisor available to talk to you."

Am I getting stiffed or is this policy?

Thanks
Old May 6, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Policy, next time transfer the avios to BA and book with them.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spainflyer
Resurrecting this thread because I am in the same position. Need to cancel a basic ticket purchased with Iberia Avios on American Airlines flight. Iberia saying "no refund of Avios for cancelation of ticket" and "no supervisor available to talk to you."

Am I getting stiffed or is this policy?

Thanks
Policy.

Us IB+ regulars always say in different threads "don't book partner airlines via IB+ because the tickets are completely non-refundable, move your Avios to BAEC and book there".

Recently some US-based FTers have started ignoring that advice to save some Avios, now that BAEC has the 7,500 Avios minimum for US flights.

I don't know who is pitching the IB+ route for booking AA award flights (it's not something that is particularly intuitive), but it's pretty irresponsible to not highlight over and over that IB+ awards (except on IB flights) are non-refundable.

Sorry you found out the hard way.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Yes, thanks

Thanks, CraigTM. The hard way indeed. 65,000 Avios -- A lot of purchases on my AmEx card.
Old May 27, 2016, 6:26 am

Are Iberia avios tickets on AA able to be changed to different dates?

I did exactly that for 4 of my party of 5 and when AA opened additional seats I tried to move the fifth and the agent noticed that flights were on AA and said that the four already moved were done so in error and they would have to escalate to supervisor.

I have email confirmation of the change but am now concerned that they will cancel my seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.