Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2023, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Sometimes customer service on twitter is quicker than other ways to contact Iberia:
https://twitter.com/Iberia_en
Print Wikipost

Iberia Award ticket cancel Avios refund

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeanB
Is this normal?

I just cancelled a one-way IB+ award flight from MAD-GUA.

Apparently I'll get the Avios re-credited (I'll wait & see), but no refund at all of fees / fuel charges / taxes.

According to the IB booking, I paid £120 in fees, plus another £45 in "taxes and surcharges", plus another £20 or so in airport charges and so on. The agent on the phone informed me that "fuel surcharges" (she actually said fuel "taxes") would not be refunded. Apparently though, that covers £165 = £120+45, so both sets of fees charged. The remaining £20 of my original payment is soaked up by the £25 change / cancellation fee.

In other words, I get back my Avios, but it's cost me £185 to book and cancel the flight itself. I'm pretty unhappy about that - is it right?
No, you should get it all back minus the £25 cancellation fee. If you don't actually get it back, call in a few days to claim it. Avios as well, assuming it was all a plain vanilla award ticket on IB alone.

The agent (in the UK?) was probably confused since airlines usually manage to argue that fuel surcharges aren't refundable on paid tickets. (whereas taxes must be, minus a "processing / admin fee" they usually can get away with)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:57 pm

I'll add that sometimes the money takes longer than the Avios to be refunded, so I would wait a few days before calling in the (unlikely) case that you don't get it.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I have what should be an easy valid refund: I used Iberia avios to book a one-way Iberia flight which I now need to cancel. What's the best way to do this: by phone or online?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ehallison
I have what should be an easy valid refund: I used Iberia avios to book a one-way Iberia flight which I now need to cancel. What's the best way to do this: by phone or online?
Award cancellations can't be done online.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Part-pay with cash refund?

Can someone please confirm that if I book an Economy Avios award and pay a higher amount of cash to reduce the Avios needed, that both the taxes & fees and the extra cash paid are refundable?

This would be a simple one way flight on IB metal booked in Economy (not Blue class if that makes any difference).

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Can someone please confirm that if I book an Economy Avios award and pay a higher amount of cash to reduce the Avios needed, that both the taxes & fees and the extra cash paid are refundable?

This would be a simple one way flight on IB metal booked in Economy (not Blue class if that makes any difference).

Thanks!
"Economy" is fully flexible / refundable so, yes, you do get everything back without any penalty.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
"Economy" is fully flexible / refundable so, yes, you do get everything back without any penalty.
Thanks. Hopefully I won't need to refund but you never know!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 12:42 am

Which number do we need to call to cancel an avoid IB ticket? I tried numbers from different countries and they all said they were the revenue ticket dept. The worse is I tried +34913894357 twice, and the same answer...

Originally Posted by DeanB
Is this normal?

I just cancelled a one-way IB+ award flight from MAD-GUA.

Apparently I'll get the Avios re-credited (I'll wait & see), but no refund at all of fees / fuel charges / taxes.

According to the IB booking, I paid £120 in fees, plus another £45 in "taxes and surcharges", plus another £20 or so in airport charges and so on. The agent on the phone informed me that "fuel surcharges" (she actually said fuel "taxes") would not be refunded. Apparently though, that covers £165 = £120+45, so both sets of fees charged. The remaining £20 of my original payment is soaked up by the £25 change / cancellation fee.

In other words, I get back my Avios, but it's cost me £185 to book and cancel the flight itself. I'm pretty unhappy about that - is it right?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maplenight
Which number do we need to call to cancel an avoid IB ticket? I tried numbers from different countries and they all said they were the revenue ticket dept. The worse is I tried +34913894357 twice, and the same answer...
I tend to call +34 91 374 2442 when I need to talk to Iberia Plus via Skype.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:20 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to book an off-peak business class award ticket from Madrid to Chicago using avios (transferred from BA and my Chase Sapphire Card).

The cost is 34k + $137 (which is a steal).

The trip isn't totally set in stone yet, but I found availability for 2 seats in business, so I would like to book them and think later.

From what I understand, if I want to cancel the ticket, all I need to do is pay the 25 euros fee right? Then I'll get 34k + $137 back.

Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:31 pm

Yes, but you pay €25 for each ticket. Keep in mind that the refund (both the money and the Avios) can take a variable amount of time (of course, you can also call to change them to another date with availability, paying the same €25).
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you book in dollars your cancellation fee will also be in dollars, but I can't remember off-hand how much is charged in USD. Something similar to 25 euros.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Yllanes
Yes, but you pay €25 for each ticket. Keep in mind that the refund (both the money and the Avios) can take a variable amount of time (of course, you can also call to change them to another date with availability, paying the same €25).
After speaking to four different phone agents I finally got the one I needed. I xld an Avios booking and received the refund notice so that is moving along but no Avios back in my account yet.

How many days would you wait, if the refunds for cash/Avios differ, before calling and asking when the Avios would be put back.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:42 pm

I think the Avios should only take a few days. The cash portion is more unpredictable. I made my last cancellation on a Thursday and everything was back in my account the next Monday (perhaps earlier, I didn't check), but in the past the cash portion has taken a while (you get the refund notice from IB straight away, I mean the actual money back to your credit card).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Great thread. Thanks to all.Saved me a headache as I was looking for Royal Air Maroc flights TATL. non-refundable - no thanks.

still having a hard time with the IB site- EF shows lax-mad-rak (marakesh) as available but not IB.Com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.