Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia strike called off - OT but close enough

Iberia strike called off - OT but close enough

Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Talking Iberia strike called off - OT but close enough

Collective sighs of relief from the BA board!

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8NAD4K20121210

Needless to say, this doesn't rule out problems in Q1 2013...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Per Iberia's twitter feed, the strike has been called off!!
I was getting worried that they had not cancelled any flights 4 days prior to the first strike day.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
"and because we don't want to harm passengers"

… and because we want to be on full pay in the run-up to Christmas?

Cynical? Moi?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Yinzer
I love seeing stuff like this. Honestly, have no problem punching people like this when I see them in person. Maybe you'll learn from that. I guess I live in my own world. Common sense and all when you run your mouth. Oh well, maybe you can cry to someone else about it since I'm one of those customers.
I guess you just proved my point, since you don't seem to be interested in discussing the issue and want to resort to violence...

So how is the iberia situation different from what happened at BA?
What do the strikers hope to gain by striking instead of negotiating?
Why is the strike planned in the week with the biggest impact on customers?

I would love to hear the other side of the story, I haven't heard anything on that so far. To me the strike doesn't make any sense at all.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Though dropping routes.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...istanbul,-cair
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
They should have been arressted for even suggesting the idea. Since when has 6 days of consecutive strikes ever been acceptable behaviour? Then accussing management of being inappropriate when they wanted to destroy people's Christmas while making racist comments about people in management.

It would be good for Vueling to do some mass recruiting and then keep buying Iberia's assets until Iberia is closed down and Vueling comes the de facto national carrier.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
You would do well to learn that in a democratic, free society, the right of a person to strike is one of the most basic ones... Iberia employees have a fundamental and undeniable right to strike for as long as they want. I understand that for a Briton the rhetoric might be slightly unfamiliar and grossly offensive, but that is how business is done in different areas of the world. If, in the UK, we had unions that were slightly stronger, perhaps the distribution of wealth would be different, and the class-hierarchy would be long dead. As it stands, it is little wonder that certain (very large) segments of the population view 'middle-class' as a disdainful term...

I say this (in the interest of full disclosure) as a person who is flying IB in two days, and was scared of this strike ruining my plans.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm not against unions, but I often find myself despising their management. Clear communication is key and I fear that management is all too often the stumbling block.

That said, there will always be troublemakers. My father worked for BEA and certainly has a few stories to tell - only a minority mind you.

IB Express is profitable, and I'm sure as it grows it will serve as a very good example of the necessity to restructure mainline ops.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pianoamit
You would do well to learn that in a democratic, free society.
In a truly democratic, free society, all the stakeholders should have a say about the particular matter.

Thus all the affected passengers, aviation employees who rely on Iberia to fly normally, non-union staff, Iberia management, shareholders and debt holders should have a say in Union's strike vote.

If only 30% of the union member can decide 100% of the crew should go strike, 1 million passengers should be stranded, and lots of smaller and medium business to loose money due to the strike, that is not democratic or free society. The passengers' rights for travel is violated, the small business owner's rights have been f**ked thoroughly.

So, in this 7,000 union votes (let us call it as I do not have exact number) VS 2 million passengers and stakeholders really represent liberal, democratic value? Or it is actually a robbery ideology: I am not happy about the house I am living, so I am going to rob you to make you pay.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chongcao
In a truly democratic, free society, all the stakeholders should have a say about the particular matter.

Thus all the affected passengers, aviation employees who rely on Iberia to fly normally, non-union staff, Iberia management, shareholders and debt holders should have a say in Union's strike vote.

If only 30% of the union member can decide 100% of the crew should go strike, 1 million passengers should be stranded, and lots of smaller and medium business to loose money due to the strike, that is not democratic or free society. The passengers' rights for travel is violated, the small business owner's rights have been f**ked thoroughly.

So, in this 7,000 union votes (let us call it as I do not have exact number) VS 2 million passengers and stakeholders really represent liberal, democratic value? Or it is actually a robbery ideology: I am not happy about the house I am living, so I am going to rob you to make you pay.
Spoken like a true deluded capitalist.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by T8191
"and because we don't want to harm passengers"

… and because we want to be on full pay in the run-up to Christmas?

Cynical? Moi?
+1

IB pilots have demonstrated over the years that they have no interest whatsoever in the passengers. Probably they are realizing now that it is true that the company might go bankrupt.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by doctor15
Per Iberia's twitter feed, the strike has been called off!!
I was getting worried that they had not cancelled any flights 4 days prior to the first strike day.
IB is still a joke of an airline, alas...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.