Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD-MAD flight nearly empty?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:04 am
Original Poster

ORD-MAD flight nearly empty?

I just viewed the seat availability map for our ORD-MAD IB flight on Mar 21. It appears nearly 90% empty. Can this be right? We are currently in row 12 at window on this A340-600. I am thinking that we would be more comfortable in the center 4 seats near back. Should I call IB and change? Have ORD gate agent reseat us? Should we just go back there when we board? I know the word is out that IB isn't so great, but I find it hard to believe that the flight is really so empty. This will be our first ever IB flight.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Strange. They're not striking on 21/22 MAR, so this flight has a good chance of going out (and filling up from the strike on the 19th). Call and reseat ASAP.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:41 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Since the questions revolve around one specific airline, we'll move this to the Iberia forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:03 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Don't use the seat map as a reference because it might be misleading. I had a talk with an IB rep recently and she informed me that since IB instituted a charge to pre-reserve seats in Y until 24 hrs before dept (except for top elite members with Emerald and Sapphire status), a lot of passengers wait until the day before to get their seats in order to avoid the charges.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks aw. That makes sense
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Exactamente. A seat map only shows assigned seats - you could have a tour group, any number of people, with tickets for that flight with as yet unassigned seats. A GDS connected tool will reveal the actual situation - how many seats (often up to a maximum of seven) are available in each fare class.

Change for your four in the back seats and you might find yourselves crowded; if the flight departs with lots of available seats you can generally move once the hatch is ready to close / closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.