Wiki Posts
Search

Cannot earn miles on codeshare flights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2011, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Cannot earn miles on codeshare flights?

Hi -

I recently flew BCN-TLV on IB-marketed flight operated by El AL (LY).

I could have bought the ticket either as LY or IB coded, but I chose to buy it as IB to earn Iberia Plus points, which I wanted to transfer to BA after Nov 16.

Since the flight points did not post automatically, I submitted a credit request, which was denied. When I called to inquire, I was told one could not earn IB points on codeshare flights.

Is that really the case? Why would anyone ever buy codeshare tickets if there are no frequent flyer benefits?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I suspect that's generally basura / rubbish - one usually earns miles / points on a direct codeshare as if one were flying the airline. E.g. flying LY as an IB codeshare, you should earn as if flying IB; it would not work if you were flying attempting to earn as a oneworld codeshare on a non-oneworld airline - a different thing (e.g. AA operated by FJ). I can;t believe IB is that different... see the thread with contact information to "upgrade" your complaint.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Update - I tried talking with multiple supervisors, sent multiple emails, and was turned down in all cases.

They said that the only codeshare flights that are valid for points accrual are the ones operated by OneWorld airlines or other airlines participating in the IB+ programme.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
I suspect that's generally basura / rubbish - one usually earns miles / points on a direct codeshare as if one were flying the airline. E.g. flying LY as an IB codeshare, you should earn as if flying IB; it would not work if you were flying attempting to earn as a oneworld codeshare on a non-oneworld airline - a different thing (e.g. AA operated by FJ). I can;t believe IB is that different... see the thread with contact information to "upgrade" your complaint.
Last time I looked, the IB website was very clear on this: you do not earn miles on flights which are operated with a non-OW/IB+ partner even when flown under an IB code.
While the majority of airlines have a different policy, IB is not an isolated case. In *A, BD has the same policy as IB.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
Last time I looked, the IB website was very clear on this: you do not earn miles on flights which are operated with a non-OW/IB+ partner even when flown under an IB code.
The Web site is definitely not clear on this. Maybe it is clearer in Spanish, but in English, it is not. From the Web site (my bolding and underlining):

Iberia maintains agreements with other airline companies for selling seats on certain routes operated by them under the code IB4XXX, IB7XXX. These are called "Shared Code Flights" and Iberia Plus cardholders will earn points on all of them.

Now, there are parts of the Web site that may state otherwise, but I am not sure why I have to pay the price of them publishing conflicting information on the Web.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyal
The Web site is definitely not clear on this. Maybe it is clearer in Spanish, but in English, it is not. From the Web site (my bolding and underlining):
mmm... you forgot to mention that this immediately qualified by the following:
Originally Posted by IB website
(*) one world alliance ( American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Jal, Lan, Malev, Qantas, Royal Jordanian ), and with airlines associated with Iberia Plus such as Royal Air Maroc.
Moreover, when you look at the earnings' table for IB flights, you get the additional clarification:
Originally Posted by IB website
OBSERVATIONS OF AVIOS AND ELITE POINTS:

- Tables also valid for flights operated by Iberia Regional Air Nostrum and Vueling (VY and IB5XXX code)
- Iberia owns the right to modify these tables, as well as routes and flight programming.
- IBERIA owns the right to exclude Elite Points and Avios earning fares. Please check the terms & conditions here
- Flights with IB code operated by companies not associated with Iberia Plus programme do not generate either Avios or Elite Points.
- Please, check routes and class restrictions in flights with IB code operated by other companies on each company table.
That makes it, imo, 100% clear that codeshares earn in IB+ only if the operating airline is itself an IB+ partner (and even then, there may be additional restrictions). El Al is clearly not an IB+ partner, hence why you do not earn on such flights.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 6:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the clarification, NickB. It does seem the preponderance (of even contradictory information) shows IB+ will not grant miles on IB codeshares on non-oneworld operated flights. We can hope with further AIG integration this will change - but for now, nada (I was definitely wrong in my post above).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.