Wiki Posts
Search

MAD - LAX route

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
MAD - LAX route

Does IB fly the 340-300 or 340-600 on the MAD - LAX route?

Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:26 pm

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by go4bal
Does IB fly the 340-300 or 340-600 on the MAD - LAX route?

Thanks.
go4bal

A340-300.

dutch_122
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
They used to fly it with a 747... but seriously, the A340 is such a great way to get to Europe from California. We use AA/Eagle SMF-LAX, and there is even an airside shuttle that connects to the Tom Bradley International terminal (afternoon only, and as long as you have boarding passes).

Then a nice long flight (11:20) for dinner, wine and a sleep across the Atlantic and you are in Madrid Barajas, relatively easy connections onward to wherever you are headed if you are not staying in Madrid. The return is nice as well, as you do not lose a day.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: IB Plus Gold
any idea when the summer-season flights for MAD - LAX will be bookable? Found today on the www. of Iberia only flights via ORD, JFK,.... but not the direct one.

Thanks

Spainfly
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:13 am

I'm not sure, Spainfly, but be sure to check all days - IB only flies this route three days weekly, iirc, and intends to fly (only) four days weekly in summer; the flights are showing for me on the Iberia website.

The intent originally was

Madrid – Los Angeles – Madrid

IB6171 MAD1235 – 1615LAX 340 x247
IB6170 LAX1755 – 1415+1MAD 340 x247

and to add one day in summer.

After a 14 year absence in this market, reintroduction of this flight has been most welcome to me.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:28 am

thanks JDriver.

I checked to book flights with my IB Plus points, and it did not show the direct flight there.

But will double check again, and yes, I am aware of the flight days, and checked a Saturday, where they noramlly fly this route.

Thanks

Spainfly
Old Oct 11, 2011, 9:00 am

Interesting! I see the flights on sale, but have not checked every day - I wonder if Saturday is a day they plan to drop? Or is there a variance between what the site shows for pints and money? Extraño. Good luck.

Originally Posted by spainfly
thanks JDriver.

I checked to book flights with my IB Plus points, and it did not show the direct flight there.

But will double check again, and yes, I am aware of the flight days, and checked a Saturday, where they noramlly fly this route.

Thanks

Spainfly
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:58 am

it seems that they will fly Monday, Wednesday and Friday MAD - LAX,... was wrong with Saturday.

But another story is, taht it absolut impossible, online, to find a possibility, with points for business from MAD to USA. I did not only try LAX, also ORD, JFK, BOS, MIA and DFW with AA.

Hopefully with calling the Gold-CC they will help, but have not a lot of hope.

Had anyone luck in the past with booking this?

Thanks

Spainfly
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:05 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
it seems that they will fly Monday, Wednesday and Friday MAD - LAX,... was wrong with Saturday.

But another story is, taht it absolut impossible, online, to find a possibility, with points for business from MAD to USA. I did not only try LAX, also ORD, JFK, BOS, MIA and DFW with AA.

Thanks

Spainfly
Using AA miles: looking this past spring I found some availability for the MAD-LAX flights in J for this fall - in fact I had to change my upcoming trip a few times and I was still able to rebook a seat on IB6171.

But when I started looking at availability 330 days out I couldn't find any - so this led me to believe that chances seem better to book 6 months out vs 11. But I certainly have no idea at this point what IB's historic pattern has been with making available MAD-USA award seats - obviously.

What could very well be playing a role in your inability to find award seats ex-MAD for next summer, is a couple of months ago when AA ppl were looking to book their award seats for next summer there was an abrubt blackout of US-Europe "mileSAAver" seats on AA metal and given that BA has horrible surcharges ALOT of people were booking IB and using MAD as their gateway city. And then of course there's the Olympics playing a factor.

But none of this is giving you much help, I'm sorry. I wish you good luck with the Gold Desk.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
They used to fly it with a 747... but seriously, the A340 is such a great way to get to Europe from California. We use AA/Eagle SMF-LAX, and there is even an airside shuttle that connects to the Tom Bradley International terminal (afternoon only, and as long as you have boarding passes).

Then a nice long flight (11:20) for dinner, wine and a sleep across the Atlantic and you are in Madrid Barajas, relatively easy connections onward to wherever you are headed if you are not staying in Madrid. The return is nice as well, as you do not lose a day.
The same A340 with no seatback IFE and a level of cabin service so surly it is renowned? What changed?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM

In September we flew both BOS-MAD and MAD-LAX in Business Plus using AA miles (two pax each way). I was really impressed by both the hard product and the service, and of course MAD is a wonderful airport. And no ridiculous BA copays!

I booked each of our tickets just a couple of days before departure, and we traveled on our first choice of dates. In each case I had been monitoring availability, and I know that the seats had not been available until the day I booked. I suspect that they hold most or all of the cabin for potential revenue pax until relatively late. The good news is that unlike some airlines, they do seem very willing to release their unsold seats for last-minute award booking.

This may not help those who must nail down their travel details far in advance, but those with the flexibility to book at the last minute (and/or to book a one-way outbound before booking the return) may do very well.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: ex AA EXP now a Free Soul
Flew direct LAX-MAD flight last summer

Yes! What a change to fly directly to Spain from LAX! BUT was very disappointed because of NO IFE on backseats. And I hate their "pay for your exit row seat" policy...
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:22 pm

I take my own IFE - though Business Plus has it in armrest screens, I won't rely on it. As for surly service, Spain doesn't have much of a cultural value for slavish customer service, so most will not provide Sterling service unless one personalizes and initiates pleasantries.

OTOH, I was very surprised with really brilliant customer service provided by the luggage desk when our bags went missing, and an occasional employee - but ground staff are not empowered to handle problems, and some can even be surly (not more, IME, than many other airlines).

Paying for different services or seats - this a la carte pricing is insinuating itself to many airlines. We will see a rationalising of practices and pricing with AIG owning both Iberia and British Airways, IMO, much as we are seeing the rationalisation of their FFPs with the new Avios points.

In the end, I am paying for the immense convenience of LAX-MAD and decent connections as well as lower pricing in some instances, and will leave top notch entertainment and food to my ground plans.

Originally Posted by volvo99
The same A340 with no seatback IFE and a level of cabin service so surly it is renowned? What changed?
Originally Posted by flightpath844
Yes! What a change to fly directly to Spain from LAX! BUT was very disappointed because of NO IFE on backseats. And I hate their "pay for your exit row seat" policy...
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:29 am

I have realized a few days ago, that they have changed flight days for Summer. Instead of 1, 3 and 5, it is now 1, 3 and 6. Maybe they fly 4 x a week (was 1, 3, 5 and 6 July and August 2012) again in summer 2012.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the update!

With Katla volcano rumbling threats, Spain may be a better sure entry to Europe next summer and Iberia may come in handy (not to mention LHR and the summer Olympics).

No givens, but remember Eyjafjallajökull? Petty tantrum compared to Katla's possibilities, especially given 1755's historical eruption (Katla is rumbling and overdue an eruption, unfortunately).

I have realized a few days ago, that they have changed flight days for Summer. Instead of 1, 3 and 5, it is now 1, 3 and 6. Maybe they fly 4 x a week (was 1, 3, 5 and 6 July and August 2012) again in summer 2012.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.