$1000 Iberia chase voucher questions

Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:51 am
Original Poster

$1000 Iberia chase voucher questions

Hi,

I have a $1000 voucher for spending over $30k from when I held the Iberia Chase Visa card. The voucher is expiring quite soon, so I'm looking for creative ways to redeem it.

I have a few questions and was hoping someone here could help:
  1. Can this voucher be used to pay for the cash element of reward Avios flights? The T&Cs aren't immediately clear to me.
  2. Does the fly-by date need to be before the expiry date of the voucher, or can I book a flight for a future date as long as I 'cash in' the voucher before its expiry date?
  3. I cancelled the card a while ago, and T&Cs state the 'Cardmember' must fly on this flight - further to point #1, I would be using Avios from my account but not travelling on this booking...is there any creative way around this restriction?
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

G
Old Aug 26, 2023, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can't comment about the Chase voucher specifically, but for normal IB vouchers you:
  1. Can only use them for cash bookings, NOT Avios reward bookings
  2. Must FLY before the expiry date
  3. Can use them for anybody else, whether that's a friend/family member or somebody you manage to sell the voucher to...
Seanish likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I can't comment about the Chase voucher specifically, but for normal IB vouchers you:
  1. Can only use them for cash bookings, NOT Avios reward bookings
  2. Must FLY before the expiry date
  3. Can use them for anybody else, whether that's a friend/family member or somebody you manage to sell the voucher to...
Hi Craig, all points are correct with the exception of #2. In case it helps anyone, I was recently DM'd by a member asking these questions so I'll post them here:

1) How long after the threshold did I get it?
I can't remember exactly but it didn't take very long (must've been weeks at most?) - I'd send Chase a secure message if you haven't received it just to get confirmation from them before reaching out to Iberia.

2) How does it get sent?
It's a rather normal looking e-mail from IBERIA PLUS with the subject "Congratulations [YourName]! You've earned $1000" or something like that. The e-mail has a 15-20 character coupon code at the very bottom of the e-mail.

3) How to credit it?
You're supposed to purchase a cash ticket from the Chase link for the Iberia site (something like iberia.com/chase10 I think), and at the payment section you can include a voucher code which is the one sent in the e-mail. Logged into my account, and clicking on the link, I used it against 2 tickets (not including me as a passenger), and there were no issues.

One final thing is that some people say you have to FLY before expiry date, but that's not true. I BOUGHT tickets the day before the expiry date of the code for a flight a couple of months later.

Hope this helps.
Seanish likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GeoHurst33

One final thing is that some people say you have to FLY before expiry date, but that's not true. I BOUGHT tickets the day before the expiry date of the code for a flight a couple of months later.

Hope this helps.
Good update. Thanks.

Just so people are aware, the gift cards that you can sometimes buy at a discount from Iberia do indeed need to be flown before their expiry. So there appear to be different rules here...
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:28 am

Qualifying Charges

I'm hoping to qualify for the $1000 certificate this year and would need to pay about $6000 in property tax to get to the $30000 spend. Since the terms and conditions state the spend needs to be on "products and services" to qualify, I'm concerned paying for taxes won't qualify. If this is the case, I don't want to use my credit card for taxes since they charge a fee of around $125 for this transaction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.