Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Iberia Airlines | Iberia Plus
Reload this Page >

Iberia remodels its Business Plus Class (2009 - going to lie-flat)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2009, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GOLD - AF Platinium

Good news for one of the most confortable seat in the sky.

Iberia remodels its Business Plus Class, offering completely horizontal seat-beds

Each passenger will have more than 2.2 meters of personal space, with an extra 30 cm between rows.
The new dimensions allow the seats to reach a fully horizontal position for sleeping.
So far three aircraft have been fitted with the new cabin congifuration, and the entire A-340 fleet will be equipped by March.
The move comes within the framework of the airline’s Total Customer Care programme, aimed at enhancing customer service across the board.
Iberia is market leader on Europe-Latin American routes in both business and tourist class.

Madrid, 2 of November of 2009
In a bid to attract more passengers, Iberia is undertaking a major overhaul of its intercontinental Business Plus class, regaling business travellers with more room, comfort and privacy.

The airline is removing an entire row of business class seats in order to expand the room between rows by more than 30 cm, from 152 cm to 183 cm. The total personal space enjoyed by each business passenger will thus exceed 2.20 metres.

The change is being effected to Iberia’s fleet of Airbus A-340s, used on routes between Spain and the United States, Latin America, and South Africa. The number of business class seats in the A-340/600s will be reduced from 52 to 42, and in the A-340/300s from 42 to 36.

Three aircraft have been modified so far in Iberia’s hangars –the job takes about 300 person-hours per aircraft– and the last unit will be finished in March of next year.

Meanwhile, the company is also working on a new design and new fittings for its long-haul Business Plus class as of 2012.

Iberia’s Customer Relations and Quality Manager, Paloma Manzaneque, says: “We want to give a new boost to our long-haul business class, a segment in which we lead the market on routes linking Europe and Latin America, both to increase our lead and to give our passengers unheard of comfort during their flights”. Iberia’s business class now boasts a Europe-Latin America market share of nearly 24%.

Total Customer Care Programme to Upgrade Service

The changes to Business Plus come within the framework of the Spanish airline’s 150 million-euro Total Customer Care Programme. Under the programme Iberia will also fully remodel the VIP lounges in Madrid-Barajas airport, add limousine services at the airports of Buenos Aires, Săo Paulo, and Mexico City, offer on-line check-in to all destinations and boarding with cell phone, and add new features to the Iberia Plus frequent flyers’ programme, including a new Platinum membership card.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:11 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Good move by IB. I was lucky enough to get this configuration on BOG-MAD the other night. Although I prefer BA for a bit more privacy, reconfiguring so these seats drop to a full flat position was the way to go and makes them much more comfortable for sleeping.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by stephem
Good move by IB. I was lucky enough to get this configuration on BOG-MAD the other night. Although I prefer BA for a bit more privacy, reconfiguring so these seats drop to a full flat position was the way to go and makes them much more comfortable for sleeping.
I am flying on this route in a few weeks. I hope they use the same metal
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:25 am

Does anyone happen to know for sure how these re-fitted planes are appearing in IB's schedules? I read somewhere else that they're putting them in as codes 342 and 345 instead of the normal codes 340 and 346...

If that's true, I feel lucky, as my upcoming flights according to expertflyer are both "342" and are indeed missing row 5.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flying JNB - MAD 28 Dec and MAD - SJU 29 Dec - anyone know if the new config will be on those routes?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by jean_tongues

The change is being effected to Iberia’s fleet of Airbus A-340s, used on routes between Spain and the United States, Latin America, and South Africa. The number of business class seats in the A-340/600s will be reduced from 52 to 42, and in the A-340/300s from 42 to 36.
Hmmmm, on my reservations from AA.com it has my March 2010 MAD-ORD IB flight as using a 340-200 but seat guru doesn't show this aircraft.

Anyone have a link for the new seat maps?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Hmmmm, on my reservations from AA.com it has my March 2010 MAD-ORD IB flight as using a 340-200 but seat guru doesn't show this aircraft.

Anyone have a link for the new seat maps?
Hi,

I think the A340-200 classification means you will be on an A340-300 with the fully flat seats. ( An Airbus A340-600 with the fully flat seats will be classified an an A345)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:52 pm

If anyone here has been on the reconfigured equipment (specifically the 340-300 that they're calling 342, which appears to have had row 5 taken out), did you feel there were any advantages/disadvantages to row 1? On the non-reconfigured equipment, it seemed row 1 was preferable as it was the only one that went completely flat.

Anyone with recent experience on this?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Schultzois
If anyone here has been on the reconfigured equipment (specifically the 340-300 that they're calling 342, which appears to have had row 5 taken out), did you feel there were any advantages/disadvantages to row 1? On the non-reconfigured equipment, it seemed row 1 was preferable as it was the only one that went completely flat.

Anyone with recent experience on this?
I flew TATL recently in IB Biz and it was not reconfigured yet.
On the return flight I was in row 1 and it was flat but with an angle, ie not 180ş.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I'll be flying JFK-MAD and MAD-ORD early March in business class on Iberia. Does anyone know my chances of getting the lie-flat seats?

Also, any advice on which rows are best or worst?

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: AA
IB metal between ORD>MAD

Although the IB press release stated that by the end of March the upgrade would be complete across their A340 fleet, I also haven't yet seen the equipment change on a BusinessPlus itinerary (which still shows an A340-600) in April.

Does anyone have information about the daily ORD > MAD flight?

@Thunderroad - If you get it, congratulations and please share any thoughts should you have the opportunity.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Will do, aa. When I made the reservation, the CSR indicated that it was a 342, but I'll believe it when (and if) I see it.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 2:41 pm

I'm considering IB BusinessPlus for upcoming transatlantic round-trips. Cobine the cabin upgrades with I fares with the Amex 25% off sale, and it seems to be a good choice.

Is there any way assess the likelihood of an upgraded cabin? Trips will be in May and June -- comfortably beyond the "end of March" timetable initially announced, but it would be nice to have a more precise sense.

Do we know how many 340's IB owns? How many have been upgraded?

Is it possible to tell from the seatmap or other CRS data whether a flight is expected to be served with upgraded equipment? On BOS-MAD one day I'm considering, ExpertFlyer reflects that the back row is all x'ed out, unavailable. But that could be only a precaution, in case the cabin has been upgrade -- certainly no guarantee, and the kind of thing airlines often do with all flights when a cabin upgrade is pending.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA
@bedelman

Although IB's press releases from late 2009 touted the new configuration with an anticipated upgrade of the A340 fleet by March, Thunderroad recently posted a detailed overview of a flight from ORD to MAD in which the new configuration was not available: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...al-trip-j.html

Other higher priority routes combined with a lower than anticipated rise in J fare sales/margins in addition to the recent BA/IB proceedings may mean that the new configuration won't be available for some time (at least from ORD>MAD) but you asked about BOS so Thunderroad's post isn't very relevant. IB hasn't always been very forthcoming or correct about the exact metal that you'll be flying (another FT member was assured that they would be flying on the new configuration only to discover that it was old one) so your best bet may be to contact an IB CSR directly.

Personally I would assume that if the seats are shown as blocked from Expert Flyer, there may be a good chance that you are in luck! If you have any new insight, please feel free to update this thread as the stories have been very conflicting and neither AA or IB has been authoritative.
Old May 26, 2010, 5:47 pm

Just to add some info based on my recent flight (May 25) MAD-BOS:

I was on an A340-300 which had been re-configured as there were only four rows in the front cabin.
I had noticed that the second (and last) row in the second J cabin, row 7, had been X'd out right up to shortly before flight time. As there was somebody in the seat next to me in row 3, shortly before the door closed, I asked one of the F/As if I could move to another seat; he said yes, so I scooted back to 7A and noticed that there was now one other person in row 7 (though I later realised that she was a non-rev.)
About 10 minutes later, the Purser and another F/A came up to me, both looking rather concerned, and asked if this was my assigned seat. I said no, but I had asked another F/A for permission to move. They said that wasn't a problem, but did I know that the seats in this row do not fully recline? I said I didn't, but that wasn't a problem for me as it was a daytime flight so I wouldn't be sleeping.

I have since done some random checks on EF and every A340-300 flight I have looked at, has the entire row 7 X'd out.
So, it looks as though IB has a problem with the second J cabin on that aircraft, and they have decided to increase row 6 to the new fully-flat pitch, but leave row 7 with reduced pitch.
So what will they do if the flight has more than 30 out of 36 pax in J? Surely they won't only sell 30 seats? (Though I did find one flight showing J0, where all of row 7 was still X'd out).
And assuming they do sell some of the last 6 seats, at what stage will they tell you that you will be in a sub-standard seat?

In all other respects, the flight was fine and much as Thunderroad recently reported; IB has a very good hard and soft product in international J. (Though not as good as CX, of course.)
One thing I did not like were the headphones - they are not noise-cancelling and the over-the-ear pods do not swivel; they are at a fixed angle which I found uncomfortable.

Happy Travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.