Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Shanghai - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2008, 8:05 am

Stayed at the Hyatt at the Bund, not so convenient for my purpose, and the taxi drivers don't have a clue where is it.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Grand Hyatt is right next door to the PH, that would be a more convenient alternative unless you prefer the Bund hotel.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:39 am

Has anyone stayed at the PH Shanghai yet?

I have booked for November, has anyone tried it yet?

Thanks

Luxurybiztraveller
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'll be there starting October 14, so no opinion yet, but soon!

Last edited by peteropny; Sep 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm Reason: Edit out link - irrelevant after merging
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
The hotel is officially open on 10/1. Till then only guests with inviation can stay in the few rooms on the 2 already open floors. The front desk manager gave me a tour when I stayed in the next door GH.It totally blows PH TYO away. In room Espresso machine, the toilet automatically opening up the lid as you walk in, charger for laptop within the safe, the view from the tallest building of the world. It's just wow after wow with style.

Last edited by jimmychang; Oct 4, 2008 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 26, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up Award Space is Bookable

I just got of the phone with CS and was able to book 2 nights in a Park King room in November for 18K per night (and yes, they will convert to FFN).
Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
For those having a coming pay stay:

Experience the new Park Hyatt Shanghai, now through November 30, 2008, and earn 2,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points per stay. For reservations, call your nearest Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Centre or visit hyatt.com and request Offer Code GP727.

Last edited by jimmychang; Oct 4, 2008 at 7:35 am
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

I arrived at this hotel so ready to be blown away by the new "greatest Hyatt in the world."

After one night, my initial feeling is, sadly, that the hotel clearly needs shaking down but, worse than that, there are architectural issues that will be harder to resolve.

My room, which was categorized as a "Park Suite" -- a category which actually gets you a suite at other Hyatts -- was just a larger room here. The rooms manager who met me claimed there were no suites yet opened for guests. I cannot believe a Park Hyatt would open with no usable suites but have no way to contradict the claim.

Due presumably to the architecture of the building, there is wasted space behind pillars and in the large separate room for the toilet (unlike many suites, there is no guest toilet room, but then this isn't really a suite anyhow). The result is that closet hanging space is divided into two sections, one in the area leading to the toilet, one in the rest of the bathroom. There is no cabiner of drawers, just a small cardboard-like two drawer thingie in one of the wardrobes.

Lack of English skill is a major problem except among the few foreign staff, although the local staff all claim to speak English. To get a package left for me at the desk delivered, I had to speak to three different people, none of whom could figure out what I was asking for. I fortunately had the card of a western staffer from when I checked in, and by insisting to speak to him, finally got my package delivered.

All windows are controlled by electric shades which cannot be operated manually. It's ny first morning and they don't work, leaving the room with no exterior view. Two people are working on it and seem to have gotten it fixed - for now.

The room has a view of the river but the view of the key part of the Bund is blocked by the Jin Mao tower and the Grand Hyatt.

Toiletries are Acca Kappa. Lots of digital stuff, including a TV in the bathroom (which is in the mirror facing the sinks and hence not viewable from the bathtub, what were they thinking?), the aforementioned coffee machine, and the also previously mentioned toilet seat which snaps to attention when you get near it. The shower looks interesting, though.

They say I can just go to the restaurant or room service and get my diamond breakfast, for free. I hope there won't be an argument at checkout, currently there is no way to check the bill on the room TV set which is, of course, a medium size flat screen. The bed was very comfortable, not rock hard like at many other Chinese hotels.

I'll comment further after a few days but my initial feeling is this place needs at least a few months shakedown and someone at Hyatt management needs to tell them that you can't call it a suite at the PH level if it isn't really a suite. The architectural issues are going to be harder to deal with.

Sorry, no way to take and transmit photos.

I am hopeful that after a few days I will have a more optomistic update.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Updates --

Positive: Ran into the GM and he told me they are planning to change this room style name as they know it isn't a suite. I suggested "deluxe corner king" like the PH Tokyo uses.

He also said there is more furniture coming for the large unused space in the area where the toilet is.

Going in the main public building entrance (not easily reached from the hotel entrance), there is a downstairs with a convenience store -- a Lawson, showing the Japan influence of Mr. Mori -- and restaurants. Very useful to find.

Internet access is free in the room, which is all I've tried so far.

Negative: Management concurs that I am not the only one whose mobile has big problems getting a signal here. Apparently it is a problem in the entire building and someone is working on it, but it will take a while to fix.

I used their laundry bag to store my dirty clothes and they took them and laundered them. Of course, I called and they won't charge but it appears to be a general policy that needs to be changed. Just because stuff is in their laundry bag doesn't mean I want the hotel to wash it.

Lack of English comprehension continues to be a problem with virtually every employee I have (attempted to) speak to.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 16, 2008 at 3:52 am
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:58 am

Good review

Thanks for the detailed review, did you get a chance to use the pool and the bars? Is it worth me bringing my trunks?

Regards

Daniel
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Luxurybiztraveller
Thanks for the detailed review, did you get a chance to use the pool and the bars? Is it worth me bringing my trunks?

Regards

Daniel
Still haven't checked out the bar in the lobby but you motivated me to go take a look at the pool and gym and those would be a big positive for this hotel: located on the 85th floor, the pool dimensions are about 8m x 20m (and maybe 1.5m deep). Decent selection of gym equipment and of course a spa that I didn't check out. Nice locker room as well. All definitely top class.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thanks for the info.. Sounds like many of the Park Hyatts. You can pretty much take the list and draw a line down the middle. Some you really want to visit and some that are just so so. I cxl my ffn reservation. Also given the pain of getting a visa to China just not worth the trouble. Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Verdict: Not yet ready for prime time

I am judging this hotel by the standards of a luxury hotel, which is what it purports to be. I understand this may be a soft opening but I was charged full rack rate -- the hotel refused to discuss corporate rates when I booked, saying I would be upgraded to a suite. This did not happen, allegedly because no suites were done.

So I was paying NYC or Hong Kong prices -- RMB4140 per night for a "park deluxe" (of which none are yet done so I received an "upgrade" to a larger, yet still regular, room) -- for substandard performance.

So many things went wrong that I cannot remember them all. Curiously, this included many things that work perfectly at the Grand Hyatt across the street -- like being able to get an international newspaper. Finally on Sunday afternoon, they hand delivered the Singapore "Straits Times" -- only it was the Saturday edition!

For the last two days of my stay, there was no internet access from any room, and the problem had still not been fixed when I left. One of the two foreign managers, the director of rooms, spoke to me as I checked out. He seemed happy to be rid of me, and offered no apologies or rate reduction.

I will be emailing the GM (whose last assignment was at the GH Tokyo) and will likely try this hotel one more time in some months to see if the problems are fixed. The good news is that 80% of the problems are service problems and hence can be fixed, the bad news is that service is often the hardest to get right.

My recommendation for those who want to stay at a Hyatt in this area is, for now, to stick with the club level on the Grand Hyatt.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 2, 2008 at 12:26 pm
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:08 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
I have two FFN08 nights booked over Christmas—will be interesting to see how it is then...
Old Nov 1, 2008, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Interesting, because I have been a big fan of the Grand Hyatt Shanghai...but was looking forward to trying the PH.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:17 pm

Has anyone experienced what benefits are given to Diamonds? Does the hotel give free breakfast or a room upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.