Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

FFN - earn 9/1 to 12/30/2008 - Now Official - Complete T&Cs and FAQs in First Post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FFN - earn 9/1 to 12/30/2008 - Now Official - Complete T&Cs and FAQs in First Post

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
I have one night in Sydney in Jan. where I am thinking of taking advantage of this program. A couple questions - how worth it is it to pay approx. $75 x2 here on nights I don't really need, and what's availability like there in Jan.? Worth the risk? Thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by tkey75
I have one night in Sydney in Jan. where I am thinking of taking advantage of this program. A couple questions - how worth it is it to pay approx. $75 x2 here on nights I don't really need, and what's availability like there in Jan.? Worth the risk? Thanks.
I would think that availability would be tight - I had 2 rooms for 3 nights last Jan (part of the CNZ fare) but first room was booked in the summer and 2nd booked in Oct - then converted to FFN usage (I'm a Diamond with points that I use to hold FFN awards).

However, if you get it, that would be a spectacular deal since rooms there are like $750 USD. You could try if you have other usage in mind domestically that would cost at least $150 which would make it breakeven for you.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs down

Don't listen to Peter. Terrible idea. Just terrible. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Cool yah livah, brotha!

Thanks, Peter. I think I'll give it a try.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Do e-deal rates qualify or

are they among the nebulous "discounted rates" that don't earn FFN?

Sorry if this is common knowledge but In an earlier prom with similar T&Cs, I was given conflicting info by Hyatt reps,

thanks
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:04 am

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
does the gp member have to pay the bill?

My wife is the Hyatt plat, but I am the one with the Mastercard. My plan would be to use my Mastercard to pay for our stays (which are under her name). Any experience on whether that would still qualify for the 2000 point MC bonus?

Or could this possibly run afoul of gold passport rules and invalidate the stay entirely?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by aabrock2187
My wife is the Hyatt plat, but I am the one with the Mastercard. My plan would be to use my Mastercard to pay for our stays (which are under her name). Any experience on whether that would still qualify for the 2000 point MC bonus?

Or could this possibly run afoul of gold passport rules and invalidate the stay entirely?
You're probably safe at "Full service" Hyatt but not at Hyatt Place. Why don't you get your wife as an authorized user of your MC with her own card?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:29 am

Why would this not work for hyatt place peteropny?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:34 am
Suspended

Exclamation Caution!!

I hate to quetion Peter's knowledge when it comes to Hyatt, but I am not at all certain that one can earn GP points while another name is on the credit card that pays the bill. Moreover, I seriously doubt that such payment would generate a FFN.

I am unsure that this would work as I am almost positive that other hotel frequency programs require the name on the credit card to match the name on the bill for points earning purposes -- I am positive that Hilton requires this, and am pretty certain that both SPG and Marriott, do, as well.

Therefore, based on my beliefs, I would be quite surprised that Hyatt departs from the above modus operandi.

I certainly would get something in writing from the Hyatt rep -- if you can -- concerning what you intend to do.

Good luck!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by msbuz
Why would this not work for hyatt place peteropny?
Some people have reported that the room becomes registered to the person that holds the credit card at Hyatt Place.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:36 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
The only MasterCard I have is a Citibank debit card. If I use my usual Visa to reserve the room and at check-in for incidentals, but switch to my MC debit card to pay the final bill... will I be eligible to earn the 2K bonus pts after two stays using this method?

Old Aug 28, 2008, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT
The only MasterCard I have is a Citibank debit card. If I use my usual Visa to reserve the room and at check-in for incidentals, but switch to my MC debit card to pay the final bill... will I be eligible to earn the 2K bonus pts after two stays using this method?

That should work - in the past its been keyed off the last payment method - of course we don't know if its changed - at least this time the FFNs themselves aren't dependent on the payment method.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: Soon to be free agent...
Thanks for the feedback NJUPINTHEAIR...after searching the forum I got the sense that it would be best for the credit card to have my wife's name on it, just to avoid any possible issues.

I'll follow peteropny's advice and get her added as an authorized user to my MC. We try to keep our credit cards to a minimum, but some things are worth it right?
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aabrock2187
Thanks for the feedback NJUPINTHEAIR...after searching the forum I got the sense that it would be best for the credit card to have my wife's name on it, just to avoid any possible issues.

I'll follow peteropny's advice and get her added as an authorized user to my MC. We try to keep our credit cards to a minimum, but some things are worth it right?
Agreed. Better safe than sorry and the FFN promotion is definitely worth it.

However, the FFN promotion that is upcoming does not require you to use a MC, as I recall. I think that you can use any credit card. What it does provide you is a bonus of 2,000 GP points if you use a MC after every two separate stays. So, unlike years gone by, it seems any combination of credit cards will generate a FFN after two separate stays, but only using a MC will get you the 2,000 GP bonus.

If I am wrong in this recitation, please correct me!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Spot on. :-:

I would just add that if you want to go for the whole enchilada, it's best to do the whole stay - reservation to check out - on MasterCard in the right name, all according to Hoyle. I recall getting sideways a couple of years back because I mixed them (maybe it had to do with what was in my profile, I don't remember the specifics). It took a GP Diamond Desk angel to perform a medium-sized miracle to get me sorted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.