Clear is it worth joining? - CEASED OPERATIIONS 6/22/09 - May Restart late 2010

Subscribe
used my clear card three times (ironically for the same flight due to cancellations)

each time at IAD and the first time it took me 4 minutes from the time I greeted the Clear rep to the time I was pulling my bags after security; this time they asked for my ID and BP after I went through the security detection machine

since my flight was CXd, i went home and when I came back, one person was ahead of me and it took only 3 minutes to go through but they wanted my ID before I put my finger on the machine..

this flight was CX'd so I went home again and when I came back for my evening flight, no one in front of me, but since it joins the employee line where it had a bunch of FA's coming through their line.. I thought oh no, this will take a while.. heck no.. they stopped the FA's and let me go first.. and it was another 3 minute trip... I was amazed.. ID after security.. not sure what its supposed to be but they are not consistant with that part of the process

to say the least I am quite impressed and a believer so far
Wow, you had priority over crew! ^
which might sound great, until your flight ends up being delayed because enough people who signed up for Clear are given priority over crew...
A couple thoughts and questions...

I can't figure out the right search criteria to use so I figured I'd just ask. Does anyone know if O'hare has any plans to roll out Clear?

Second, my license and passport have my middle name and first name switched. I never went through an official name change so my License, Birth cert and SSN card still have the original order, but every other document/ID that I have shows the new order. Do you think this will cause a problem getting approved?

Lastly, did anyone see the Mythbusters where they figured out how to defeat finger print scanners? They didn't share all the details, but overall it didn't seem very difficult. I was just wondering if people think fingerprints are all that secure?
Quote: A couple thoughts and questions...

I can't figure out the right search criteria to use so I figured I'd just ask. Does anyone know if O'hare has any plans to roll out Clear?

Second, my license and passport have my middle name and first name switched. I never went through an official name change so my License, Birth cert and SSN card still have the original order, but every other document/ID that I have shows the new order. Do you think this will cause a problem getting approved?

Lastly, did anyone see the Mythbusters where they figured out how to defeat finger print scanners? They didn't share all the details, but overall it didn't seem very difficult. I was just wondering if people think fingerprints are all that secure?
That might present a problem. My middle name on my driver's license wasn't the same as on my passport and they needed to call somebody to approve it (just my initial).

No, I don't think fingerprints are secure (but out of the scope of this discussion).
I just got a e-mail regarding renewal and that prices will rise later this year. So I am thinking about the value of spending up to $128 per year for this service. I have only been able to use the card three times since it was issued. I recently applied for the DHS GOES card and have a interview in a couple weeks. I think if I am going to only spend money on one the later would be much more useful.
Quote: which might sound great, until your flight ends up being delayed because enough people who signed up for Clear are given priority over crew...
two points

1. it was UA crew so I didn't care
2. i'd rather me make it to the gate first and be a bit late then the crew make it to the gate and me not make the flight
Quote: I just got a e-mail regarding renewal and that prices will rise later this year. So I am thinking about the value of spending up to $128 per year for this service. I have only been able to use the card three times since it was issued. I recently applied for the DHS GOES card and have a interview in a couple weeks. I think if I am going to only spend money on one the later would be much more useful.
I applied for the Global Traveler card yesterday. How long did it take for them to contact you to schedule an interview after you submitted your application?

Edited to add: I was just notified that my application was provisionally approved - in less than 24 hours, and now my interview is scheduled for tomorrow.

FWIW, I love my Clear card and have used it often often to justify it's value, but that is a very individual thing...
FYI for those applying for GOES. It only took me also a day to be approved. You have to do your in person interview within 30 days in either at this time JFK, IAD or IAH. The JFK location is the only one which seems to schedule weekend appointments. I'll probably end up keeping the Clear card since it is deductible. Why do they not just merge both programs?
Where's the FAQ on GOES?
Not good at links so hope this works.

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1212775979905.shtm
Quote: Where's the FAQ on GOES?
Here are the specific GOES FAQs https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/common/FAQ.html
So this is only good at three airports?
At this time.

Can we get a report on how the GOES interview went? Thanks.
Quote: At this time.

Can we get a report on how the GOES interview went? Thanks.
Very straightforward; verified info on the application, answered a few questions, scanned fingers, and poof...done.

There is no card with this program - it is activated through your passport, so once you finish your interview, you try out a kiosk in the office, and you are done, ready to go.

I have to say, this was incredibly efficient. It took less than 24 hours from my online application submission to being able to use the system!

And FWIW, the lovely lady CBP officer was quite easy on the eyes!^
2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14