Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Clear is it worth joining? - CEASED OPERATIIONS 6/22/09 - May Restart late 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clear is it worth joining? - CEASED OPERATIIONS 6/22/09 - May Restart late 2010

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
Thanks for the information - I'm not sure I received that e-mail (the first part sounds familiar but the second doesn't) - maybe they're going by signup activation date (mine wasn't until 2/08) so I'm probably not "up" yet.
Likewise. I received an email telling me to renew now at $159 before it goes to $199. I'm giving thanx for this forum as well as "peteropny."
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I was a 2008 Diamond who reached the 2009 Diamond qualification (25 stays) on November 1st, 2008.
At that time, I called GP CS and asked them whether they could re-up my about-to-expire Clear membership.
They told me that the promo is now over and they haven't re-upped anybody since June, 2008.

Are some of you still getting your Clear membership renewed gratis???
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:13 am

Peteropny just explained to me that u have to call Clear cs to renew. They will ask u some security questions & u have to tell them that u obtained ur Clear card as a Hyatt Diamond member.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bbison
DSCAM12078926. Should be good for unlimited users.

(please note that it gives the referrer--me--a free month as well.)
That's now good for TWO extra months free through 2/16 ^
Old Feb 18, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA IK, HGP Diamond, AA, KF, Hhonnors Gold, Carlson Gold, PC Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I was a 2008 Diamond who reached the 2009 Diamond qualification (25 stays) on November 1st, 2008.
At that time, I called GP CS and asked them whether they could re-up my about-to-expire Clear membership.
They told me that the promo is now over and they haven't re-upped anybody since June, 2008.

Are some of you still getting your Clear membership renewed gratis???
Hi Boston Bali, Just to let you know i just got my clear membership renewed for Free. I enrolled clear through Gold Passport initially and it was expired in December 2008. They just called me today and through the same program that I enrolled in, I am qualified to renew at no cost. They ask for your credit card info just for a reference but make sure you ask them not to put your account on auto renewal.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Clear is Dead?

I got this e-mail tonight:

Dear Trustguy,
At 11:00 p.m. PST today, Clear will cease operations. Clear's parent company, Verified Identity Pass, Inc. has been unable to negotiate an agreement with its senior creditor to continue operations.
After today, Clear lanes will be unavailable.
Sincerely,
Clear Customer Support

This has been posted on other program threads...

I presume someone will take this over (this is only my opinion).
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:27 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Trustguy

I presume someone will take this over (this is only my opinion).
might seem like a profit making opportunity but clearly the SR creditor didn't think so.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:38 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I would like to thank Hyatt for giving us Clear while it lasted.

I'm not surprised that Clear failed though. I never received the ID with my picture on it. Of all the times that I used the Clear lane, I've never seen anybody else using it and at my home airport CVG, they've cut back the operating hours significantly in recent months. They've been running various free promotions with various travel programs like Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, Delta etc. So I'm not sure how much "full paying" customers they even had. It seems like much of the discussion on FT debates the value for the full cost of the renewal and if FTers don't agree on the value, the "general" population won't.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by peteropny
I would like to thank Hyatt for giving us Clear while it lasted.

I'm not surprised that Clear failed though. I never received the ID with my picture on it. Of all the times that I used the Clear lane, I've never seen anybody else using it and at my home airport CVG, they've cut back the operating hours significantly in recent months. They've been running various free promotions with various travel programs like Hyatt, Marriott, Starwood, Delta etc. So I'm not sure how much "full paying" customers they even had. It seems like much of the discussion on FT debates the value for the full cost of the renewal and if FTers don't agree on the value, the "general" population won't.
they were between a rock and a hard place. I signed up originally with my Hyatt Diamond referral then renewed with my Marriott Plat referral (or it could have been the other way around)

I had it in my home airport (IAD) and at DCA. I used it often but there were not enough other places for me to use it on the return. The only other place I saw it being a real benefit was MCO. Other wise elite lines were more than adequate in most locations.

I sure wasn't going to pay for this until they made it worth my while by being in a lot of airports.

on the comment of the photo ID; I have two (lost the first one.. then found it) and called and paid my $10 for a replacement.

Can I still use these as ID cards at the airport?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: 2mm+ UAL | Lifetime Titanium Marriott | Globalist Hyatt | SpireElite IHG
Used it for 2yrs (1 free thru Hyatt, 1 thru SPG). It was available at 80% of my normal airports, and rolling past the zoo at SFO on a Friday afternoon in less than 10minutes, Iwould have paid $100+ for it without blinking.

I referred more than 10 people into this program, and am gutted that they're gone.

I also am a bit anxious where my fingerprints and iris imaging are going now...
Old Jun 23, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Data

Originally Posted by KevinS
I also am a bit anxious where my fingerprints and iris imaging are going now...
Can you imagine how the folks who provided the optional social security number feel? (I was not one of them)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 10:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

The OP chimes in on the deceased venture

I passed on this otherwise great partnership that Hyatt brought to the table.I never did join simply because there weren't enough Clear lanes at enough airports.Added to that as others have stated to give up that much privacy for a system so flawed made little sense.
I think it was a lost opportunity. Had the TSA and others supported the operation I think the Clear folks might still be around
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
There is a long discussion about the closure of Clear at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...d-threads.html

Perhaps we can continue the discussion there?

Markie - Co-Mod, Hyatt
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Clear May Restart - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...returning.html

I've reopened this thread since Clear may be coming back to life.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 4:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
awesome

thanks for posting, I would never have seen that post as I don't go near that forum

i'm hoping that at a "minimum" we get whats left on our prior memberships if not some sort of carrot extension.. i'm sure not paying with cash for this service at this point in time though

i've done the freebie thing thru Marriott and Hyatt.. I'm just not sure which one of those two my renewal was on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.