Go Back   > > >
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 8, 13, 10:51 am   #796
  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by snwire View Post
I show my Government ID.
I often get asked for my government ID.
katstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 13, 2:37 pm   #797
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
  
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 15,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
I don't think that RTW's question on the MaW thread was ever properly addressed, let alone answered. May we do so here?
That thread was locked because it was about to go into full flame mode, much like the previous discussion on the exact same subject.

If that discussion is moved over to this thread, a very short leash will be on the discussion.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
peteropny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 13, 3:05 pm   #798
Hyatt Contributor Badge
  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Between AMS and BRU
Posts: 8,767
OK....I'm game, without the intention of offending anyone....

I really don't get why people are more upset about someone abusing a corporate rate that is reserved for a charity anymore than someone trying the same abuse on any other corporate rate they are not entitled to.

It's Hyatt you are abusing, nothing really to do with the entity the rate is assigned to.

I find any abuse of these rates equally offensive, that's to say... Not that much. It's upto the hotel to set the rules and rates for these discounts, and also to implement the enforcement of the rules. I almost find it just as offensive if I have to pay more than someone else just because they belong to some club or work for a specific corporation..... But I also get that is the way things work.

And it would be relatively easy to verify the validity of a corporate rate based on your account. But I guess the hotels are reluctant to implement that in fear of losing any bookings.... And since they control rates and availability for these rates they probably aren't even bothered that much... Any booking is better than none.

The fear/shame of getting caught however prevents me from using any of the corporate rates.... But I sometimes do feel cheated when I see what the difference really can be.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 8, 13 at 3:12 pm
RTW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 13, 7:20 pm   #799
  
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joplin,Mo
Programs: Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Platinum ,Loews First Platinum, Hilton diamond
Posts: 99
It doesn't bother me at all what rate other people use.
snwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:56 am   #800
  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 30 minutes south of EWR
Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Gold; Marriott Gold; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 7,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
OK....I'm game, without the intention of offending anyone....

I really don't get why people are more upset about someone abusing a corporate rate that is reserved for a charity anymore than someone trying the same abuse on any other corporate rate they are not entitled to.

It's Hyatt you are abusing, nothing really to do with the entity the rate is assigned to.

I find any abuse of these rates equally offensive, that's to say... Not that much. It's upto the hotel to set the rules and rates for these discounts, and also to implement the enforcement of the rules. I almost find it just as offensive if I have to pay more than someone else just because they belong to some club or work for a specific corporation..... But I also get that is the way things work.

And it would be relatively easy to verify the validity of a corporate rate based on your account. But I guess the hotels are reluctant to implement that in fear of losing any bookings.... And since they control rates and availability for these rates they probably aren't even bothered that much... Any booking is better than none.

The fear/shame of getting caught however prevents me from using any of the corporate rates.... But I sometimes do feel cheated when I see what the difference really can be.

I am a consultant and I work for many organizations, most of which give me the corporate code so I can use it when I travel. I have never been asked for proof. But, if I ever goto Asia and use the IBM or J&J code, how can I "prove" that I am allowed to use it as I don't have a company business card or email address.
Brituchenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 13, 12:10 pm   #801
  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Hyatt diamond
Posts: 595
The person who gave you the corporate code should send you a letter on company letterhead to the effect that you are a consultant authorized to use the corporate code.
suite2suite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 13, 7:08 pm   #802
  
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
OK....I'm game, without the intention of offending anyone....

I really don't get why people are more upset about someone abusing a corporate rate that is reserved for a charity anymore than someone trying the same abuse on any other corporate rate they are not entitled to.

It's Hyatt you are abusing, nothing really to do with the entity the rate is assigned to.

I find any abuse of these rates equally offensive, that's to say... Not that much. It's upto the hotel to set the rules and rates for these discounts, and also to implement the enforcement of the rules. I almost find it just as offensive if I have to pay more than someone else just because they belong to some club or work for a specific corporation..... But I also get that is the way things work.

And it would be relatively easy to verify the validity of a corporate rate based on your account. But I guess the hotels are reluctant to implement that in fear of losing any bookings.... And since they control rates and availability for these rates they probably aren't even bothered that much... Any booking is better than none.

The fear/shame of getting caught however prevents me from using any of the corporate rates.... But I sometimes do feel cheated when I see what the difference really can be.
I think the difference with a charity rate, assuming its quite low, is that it's possible it ISN'T a profitable rate for the chain. Could be a break-even or loss rate that they are offering to a charity because it's a good thing to do. And abuse of such a rate could result in it being pulled (which is bad for the charity), whereas abuse of the IBM rate isn't going to result in them pulling IBM's rate (they are well aware IBM would happily take the business elsewhere).
rehoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:02 am   #803
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Between heaven (DCA) and hell (IAD)
Posts: 13,819
Why not just check in with the Hyatt smartphone app prior to arrival? Wouldn't that bypass any corporate code and ID issues with a check-in staffperson?
MileageAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:08 am   #804
  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: AA/BA/US/AS/WN Hyatt/HH Diamond +IHG&CC
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Why not just check in with the Hyatt smartphone app prior to arrival? Wouldn't that bypass any corporate code and ID issues with a check-in staffperson?
You can do web checkout too to avoid the desk entirely if you want. If you're a diamond member and they forget to remove breakfast / internet charges then you could be out of luck on that front though
mster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:39 am   #805
  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Programs: SPG
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowimpact View Post
You can do web checkout too to avoid the desk entirely if you want. If you're a diamond member and they forget to remove breakfast / internet charges then you could be out of luck on that front though
Would anyone share the experirnce of web check-in to bypass the ID checking? Thanks.
lukapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 9:52 am   #806
  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CA & TPE
Programs: SPG Life Plat75 Hyatt DIA AA EXPLT BA Gold SQ PPS Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukapapa View Post
Would anyone share the experirnce of web check-in to bypass the ID checking? Thanks.
It will not work at MANY properties... for instance, most Park Hyatt properties, where they greet you before you even enter the building and usually have someone escort you to the front desk.
taipeiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 10:19 am   #807
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
  
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Between heaven (DCA) and hell (IAD)
Posts: 13,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer View Post
It will not work at MANY properties... for instance, most Park Hyatt properties, where they greet you before you even enter the building and usually have someone escort you to the front desk.
Why not? You'd still check in online prior to arrival. All the staffmember would be doing is welcoming you, explaining amenities and providing you with keys. No?
MileageAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 10:59 am   #808
  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CA & TPE
Programs: SPG Life Plat75 Hyatt DIA AA EXPLT BA Gold SQ PPS Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileageAddict View Post
Why not? You'd still check in online prior to arrival. All the staffmember would be doing is welcoming you, explaining amenities and providing you with keys. No?
At Grand Hyatt Taipei, I had already checked in and had my luggage stored, but had not received my keys.. when I went to get my keys, they specifically asked for my corporate ID and I had to go upstairs (my luggage had since been delivered to my room), get my card and come back down just to show them. At PH properties, they ask regardless of whether you have done a smartphone check-in or not...
taipeiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 12:00 pm   #809
  
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: AA PLT, EK Gold, VX Gold, AB Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, Global Entry
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer View Post
At Grand Hyatt Taipei, I had already checked in and had my luggage stored, but had not received my keys.. when I went to get my keys, they specifically asked for my corporate ID and I had to go upstairs (my luggage had since been delivered to my room), get my card and come back down just to show them. At PH properties, they ask regardless of whether you have done a smartphone check-in or not...
Is this with all corporate codes? I don't recall being asked for ID?
wolf539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 13, 12:21 pm   #810
  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: CA & TPE
Programs: SPG Life Plat75 Hyatt DIA AA EXPLT BA Gold SQ PPS Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf539 View Post
Is this with all corporate codes? I don't recall being asked for ID?
I posted this up awhile ago in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...l#post20740998
taipeiflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
Contact Us - FlyerTalk - Archive - Top