Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I was at the Grand Hyatt over Friday night. One caveat for travelers with rapidly upcoming stay plans: they're doing some construction on the lobby floor. (About a quarter of the lobby floor is blocked off with plastic sheets to reduce dust; I'm not sure what facility exactly is being renovated.) Other posts earlier in this thread have noted that you may want a non-Atrium room for noise reasons -- construction noise during business hours is yet another reason to avoid Atrium rooms, if you plan to spend much time in your room during those hours.

I noticed the thin inter-room walls as well; I checked in early and housekeeping was still working through the rooms on my floor (9th... a Gold Passport floor but not a club level since I'm still Platinum and not Diamond yet), and I could quite clearly hear the vacuum cleaner which was running in the room next door through the walls, not just the noise exiting the open door into hallway and coming back under my door. Fortunately I didn't have any noisy folks checked in next to me. I did notice the temperature control system had a feature I appreciated very much -- you can force the fan to run continuously at low or high settings instead of just the auto setting, and the resulting white noise is helpful for me when trying to get to sleep to ignore any television or other noise from adjacent rooms.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 7:33 pm

The construction was the only drawback as this was being done during Sat morning breakf (a nice crowd) w/ nail guns going off like a 21 gun salute.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I am staying there tonight & tomorrow. Was unable to get a Diamond suite upgrade - was told the reason is that all (or most) of the suites are alos currently under renovation.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
That could be. I was on the 11th floor on Saturday, and when I arrived in the afternoon it sounded like they were demolishing the room next to mine, though it could have been the next floor as noisy as it was.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:02 am

I checked n yesterday & n doing so the young guy @ the FD requested that I show him my AAA card. I understand that he has the right 2 do this, but how often does this happen/has this ever happened 2 many of u (just curious)? Its a good thing that I have a AAA card (lol). He didn't just look @ it 2 verify that I had 1 but actually started 2 type n the numbers. Other than that, I was on the 1st fl where the 2 TV's always seemed 2 lose their signal if keep any @ all. Has anyone experienced this here as well? If so, how often does this happen here?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I book alot of government rates - I would say that ~20-25% of the time they request to see my gov. ID. Note: these are for overseas/Int'l stays...
Old Jan 18, 2010, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Government rates are the bookings where ID kind of requests most often come up. Corporate negotiated rates -- even when lower than the government rates -- don't have this issue as often as with government rates.

Originally Posted by mommafrica
I checked n yesterday & n doing so the young guy @ the FD requested that I show him my AAA card. I understand that he has the right 2 do this, but how often does this happen/has this ever happened 2 many of u (just curious)? Its a good thing that I have a AAA card (lol). He didn't just look @ it 2 verify that I had 1 but actually started 2 type n the numbers. Other than that, I was on the 1st fl where the 2 TV's always seemed 2 lose their signal if keep any @ all. Has anyone experienced this here as well? If so, how often does this happen here?
I've not had this happen with this hotel in prior years, but with some other hotels -- Hyatt and otherwise -- that have asked to see my AAA card, I've often resorted to showing a Starwood card with AAA logo on it or just providing the AAA number if they pushed the issue.

I get asked for rate-affiliated ID so very infrequently in the last couple of years that I would say it's happening substantially less than 1 out of 20 stays for me. Photo ID is much more frequently requested, but I provide anything from a library card to a passport if I don't decide to push the issue.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 5:12 pm

I well appreciate both replies. Like u GUWonder, this is not my 1st time here & this has never happened b4. I didn't make a fuss b/c it would have truly been disrespectful,obnoxious,unprofessional & just morally wrong. It just let's me know that I need 2 keep my card on me @ all times (heck, as the owner of a car I guess that I have no choice).
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
I stayed at this hotel a couple days after christmas, and thought the stay went fine. There was a little bit of hammering from the construction in the morning, but it didn't wake me.

I booked the AAA rate, and they asked to see my AAA card which i didn't have, but i did have a printout of my membership confirmation. as i was getting it out, the front desk agent just said that it wasn't a big deal, and gave me my room keys.

The room was nice, it was an atrium suite on the 1st floor (i used a suite upgrade cert). Pics are here: http://www.acetravelreviews.com/Hotel/DC/grandhyatt.pdf.

I didn't have any problem with the tv signal, but the tv in the parlor room had a remote that didn't work, so as i was walking out i told the front desk agent, and when i got back there was a new remote.

overall, staff was very nice and helpful and the metro being under the hotel was great
Old Apr 18, 2010, 4:04 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Originally Posted by tom911
Getting ready to check out after a very good stay here. Had breakfast in the Grand Club this morning (assortment of pastries, bagels, toast, cut pineapple and melon, muffins), which was more than adequate for me, more so because I have brunch plans at 1 (could have booked the 3A breakfast rate, but knew I didn't want to do the full breakfast as I did last time). Only about 4 tables occupied at 9:30.

I checked in right around noon yesterday and was given a room on the 11th (Gold Passport) floor. The Grand Club is on 12 across from the elevators. Wi-fi is $9.95 or $14.95 depending on speed if not included with your status.
I just got back from the Hyatt today and largely agree with the information here. A few things to add from my experience:

1. Breakfast included salmon and a variety of cereals and dried fruits in addition to the stuff mentioned above. About 6-8 people in the lounge about 9:30 AM, fewer than that on Saturday for appetizers.

2. I don't know if this has been discussed in the thread, but alcoholic beverages in the lounge are not complementary ($3 for beer and wine, $4 for liquor) and the club lounge attendant didn't have a wide variety of drinks in her arsenal (at least from briefly talking to her).

3. I wasn't able to get turndown service the other night (I tried calling the front desk, but things were pretty busy, and the person I was directed to when I went downstairs never relayed the request to housekeeping, in spite of writing my room number on the paper.) I mentioned that the front desk manager (mostly for feedback purposes, not to ask for anything), because it seemed that the hotel tried to have pretty high standards, which I respect.

4. Rooms x30-x70 can be a LENGTHY walk from the elevators and the club (in the case of the 12th floor).

5. The escalators from Metro Center to the hotel are not moving and probably won't for the rest of the month. One of them needs to be fixed and so it'll be out of commission until about May 1.

6. Diamond amenity is pretty standard but also includes an option for a wine flight. I took points as I was more interested in them, anyway.

Overall, it was definitely a great value for the BWB stay. The prevailing rates were high ($400 including taxes for that night), and I wouldn't pay that rate for it, but in my experience, if rates are competitive with the Crowne Plaza Hamilton and much lower than the Willard, it's definitely worth going back there.
Old May 7, 2010, 9:02 am

What's the parking situation like on weekends around the hotel? I have been to a number of different DC hotels on weekends and for the most part, street parking is fairly abundant. Is this fairly the same at the Grand Hyatt in DC?
Old May 31, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Here Now.....Insect Problems

I am here now using 2 of my BWB awards. Checked in on Saturday morning w/ no trouble. Given room 1262 on the Gold Passport floor. Upon returning to my room at 430A, I noticed 2-3 bugs in the bathroom, in the face bowl. I immediately called the front desk and informed them of the problem. I declined moving immediately because of the hour and the hassle. I assumed it was a pretty isolated issue. In the morning, the manager on duty phoned me again offering me another room with the interior courtyard view. I declined again assuming this was a pretty isolated issue. Well, as the morning progressed the insect problem got worse. In addition to the flying bugs, I discovered one smashed in my bed and quite a few around the window ledge. Lauren, the front desk manager, came to my room after giving her a call and offered me the Presidential Suite for my next night. I moved to the Presidential Suite which was pretty nice. She then followed up w/ a note which apologized for the problem, offered an amenity (which I never received) and deposited 18K points into my account. This morning, I walk in the bathroom and to my dismay, there's a spider on the floor near the toilet and one in the jacuzzi tub.
Old May 31, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by vickskid76
I am here now using 2 of my BWB awards. Checked in on Saturday morning w/ no trouble. Given room 1262 on the Gold Passport floor. Upon returning to my room at 430A, I noticed 2-3 bugs in the bathroom, in the face bowl. I immediately called the front desk and informed them of the problem. I declined moving immediately because of the hour and the hassle. I assumed it was a pretty isolated issue. In the morning, the manager on duty phoned me again offering me another room with the interior courtyard view. I declined again assuming this was a pretty isolated issue. Well, as the morning progressed the insect problem got worse. In addition to the flying bugs, I discovered one smashed in my bed and quite a few around the window ledge. Lauren, the front desk manager, came to my room after giving her a call and offered me the Presidential Suite for my next night. I moved to the Presidential Suite which was pretty nice. She then followed up w/ a note which apologized for the problem, offered an amenity (which I never received) and deposited 18K points into my account. This morning, I walk in the bathroom and to my dismay, there's a spider on the floor near the toilet and one in the jacuzzi tub.
wow...18K points and a presidential suite upgrade...all for a few bugs... Grand Hyatt DC gets customer service ^

Seems like you should send a compliment to Lauren...she went out of her way to make your stay better.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Not so great... VIP Manager unaware of difference between 1W and G1

Our stay here was not so great. No upgrade of any kind. Took points (1W) for Diamond amenity, and checked G1 bonus was on the account at check-in. At checkout, both were missing, so emailed the hotel (I know, should have just called GP but thought it would be quicker since I received a card at check-out from the "VIP Manager" and had been told 1W and G1 were both there). Then had email exchange with the VIP Manager who told me 1W and G1 were one and the same thing, and I just get one x 1,000 points per stay. Er.... Quoted him Hyatt's T&C's and gave him a URL and he conceded the point. Breakfast in RC average. Still loving the Dulles Hyatt for hypoallergenic rooms and fantastic, friendly, professional service and breakfast (can order off the a la carte as a Diamond member), as well as automatic posting of G2s every time. Still, location of Grand Hyatt is pretty good for hitting up some city stuff, and you can get on street or relatively cheap lot parking ($10) if you look for it at weekends.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Delta SkyMiles, Hilton Honors, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by vickskid76
The VP of Hospitality did an excellent job @ addressing the issue. After the second incident he deposited an additional 18K points and comped the room service charges. I believe these were 2 isolated events and I still recommend this property. Location is great!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.