Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: Mlife Plat,Total Rewards Diamond, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, Avis Presidents C
Originally Posted by bp888
I've stayed there on weekends and never had a whiff of the 2500 points for "Regency Club closed on weekends." Is this something new or recent? The T&C that applies states "During periods of high demand access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge may not be available; therefore, complimentary full breakfast for each registered guest and 2,500 bonus points will be given. " It doesn't say anything about weekends.

UPDATE: I called the hotel directly. And you're right, they do give 2500 points as compensation for the RC being closed on Fri, Sat and Sun stays. The agent I spoke wasn't clear when this started.
I've stayed here on a weekend before and this is the FIRST time they offered that. I didn't ask - the check in clerk went over all the points with me during check-in. That was nice - they should all do that.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 9:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

UPDATE: I called the hotel directly. And you're right, they do give 2500 points as compensation for the RC being closed on Fri, Sat and Sun stays. The agent I spoke wasn't clear when this started.
Nice that this property offers this - however, I would not expect every property to do this since this is above and beyond the T&Cs.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:23 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Excellent, I'll be there for a Sunday stay shortly. Thanks for the heads up. ^
Old Jan 4, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Just stayed here -- really mod design, probably the best work space I've ever had in a hotel with a desk running the full length of the window and good lighting. If you got 2500 points for RC being closed here I'm jealous -- the RC is on bottom floor and has virtually no food or drink, which is a shame since it's pretty big and attractively designed. They're doing construction on bottom floor for new restaurant so current one is in bar area, the breakfast wasn't bad though and we got it for free since RC doesn't do food with exception of fruit & cookies. Parking for free is a plus, location real solid -- next to convention center, on lightrail line, a mile from Hwy.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
This was my 2nd ever mattress run (1st time actually sleeping over) and it was quite pleasant!

THUMBS UP:
- Very friendly front desk staff
- Delicious breakfast (my friend and I had 3 entrees between us, comp'd under BREAKF AAA promotion)
- Reasonably fast wireless (I connected via iPass, so wasn't charged by the hotel; it was fast enough to watch The Simpsons via Hulu full screen)
- Quite comfortable bed!
- Attractive (and, at this time, very uncrowded) pool and hot tub.
- Nice shampoo, moisturizer, even good toothpaste! (I can't believe that some high-end hotels actually charge you for basic toiletries like this!)

THUMBS DOWN:
- Still charging for internet. Sheesh. Hey, Hyatt, the 1990s called and they want their internet charges back .
- Sink that splatters water all over you since it's too shallow. What were they thinking?
- Shower, which was mediocre in design and functionality.
- Noise from slamming doors. Why can't hotels use foam stoppers or something to mitigate this?!

And now for a question via selective quoting...

Originally Posted by HunterSFO
[...]
3000 for "The Next Big Thing"
2000 for "g2 bonus"
400 points for the stay
How the heck did you get all this?! Granted, I chose miles, but had I known that I could get 5400 points (as a non-Diamond member), I'd likely opt for 5400 points instead of 2500 UA miles. I'm guessing it's possible for me to call Hyatt and retroactively switch?

And given this g2 bonus, I'm wondering if it'd make sense for me to do my subsequent mattress runs at this hotel vs. the Fremont. SC is closer to my home, and only about ~$20 more a night. Your thoughts?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
This was my 2nd ever mattress run (1st time actually sleeping over) and it was quite pleasant!

THUMBS UP:
- Very friendly front desk staff
- Delicious breakfast (my friend and I had 3 entrees between us, comp'd under BREAKF AAA promotion)
- Reasonably fast wireless (I connected via iPass, so wasn't charged by the hotel; it was fast enough to watch The Simpsons via Hulu full screen)
- Quite comfortable bed!
- Attractive (and, at this time, very uncrowded) pool and hot tub.
- Nice shampoo, moisturizer, even good toothpaste! (I can't believe that some high-end hotels actually charge you for basic toiletries like this!)

THUMBS DOWN:
- Still charging for internet. Sheesh. Hey, Hyatt, the 1990s called and they want their internet charges back .
- Sink that splatters water all over you since it's too shallow. What were they thinking?
- Shower, which was mediocre in design and functionality.
- Noise from slamming doors. Why can't hotels use foam stoppers or something to mitigate this?!

And now for a question via selective quoting...

How the heck did you get all this?! Granted, I chose miles, but had I known that I could get 5400 points (as a non-Diamond member), I'd likely opt for 5400 points instead of 2500 UA miles. I'm guessing it's possible for me to call Hyatt and retroactively switch?

And given this g2 bonus, I'm wondering if it'd make sense for me to do my subsequent mattress runs at this hotel vs. the Fremont. SC is closer to my home, and only about ~$20 more a night. Your thoughts?
1.) I stayed there last night, and concur with all the Thumbs Up/Thumbs down comments as well.

2.) the 3000 points was for the "next big thing" promo in lieu of earning a free night every 2nd stay.

3.) if you value the GP points at greater than 1 cent (2000 / $20), which I think most of us do, then it makes sense to opt for the HR SC, especially given it is closer to home and much better hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
Ah, this gets confusing! I had forgotten about earlier reflexively choosing the free night over the 3000 points, since 6000 points seemed to be worth much less than a free night at a likely-higher-category hotel.

Didn't realize that you'd get as many as 5400 points, though! Okay, time to do some more thinking... and thanks for the clarification.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
I did quite a few mattress runs here to get my Diamond status and will probably do another one next weekend. Now that I'm Diamond I've also tried out an Executive suite with my one of my four confirmed upgrades.

It's my favorite hotel in the area with newly remodeled with clean, modern furniture. Mattress was very comfortable.

The Regency club is always closed on the weekend so that is an automatic 2500 points (Diamond members only). Even thought the lounge is "closed" you can still hang out there and grab non-alcoholic drinks and coffees. Plus I got 2000 points with the G2 offer code and 1000 points as my Diamond amenity. As well as a $50 breakfast for 2 at the in the morning.

The rate was only $79/night and I used the Costco Hyatt Certificates to pay for it, so another 20% off. An outstanding value! About 6000 points, half of a FFN award, breakfast, an appetizer and a suite for exactly $80 out of pocket!

**Are there any diamond members that routinely get suite upgrades at this hotel without having to use their four confirmed upgrades?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Earned 6015 GP points on a $79 rate, a Saturday in December, plus 1/2 FFN. It would be hard to find a better deal than that. Didn't spend the night because I don't find the area to be very exciting. RC has no windows, which made it feel like a conference room to me, but it is nicely furnished & has 3 PCs.

Agree that the new decor is nice & front desk staff is friendly. Did eat breakfast in the restaurant--I returned the next day to check out and then check into HP Fremont. Service was incredibly slow even though not that many diners; luckily I was killing time before proceeding to HP Fremont. Ordered multigrain pancakes with bananas. Didn't see any bananas; waiter said he would check. Fifteen minutes later he came back & said they were out of bananas.

For those who may not be familiar with the area, besides Great America and a convention center, there is nothing but large electronic companies. Sorry, but this native Californian will not be swimming in an outdoor pool when the temperature is in the 40's! So not really a weekend getaway kind of place (movie theaters, restaurants & stores are at least 5 miles away). Thus I can see why they offer a $79 weekend rate, at least in the winter. But the point value is fantastic. Not sure the RC is always closed on weekends; definitely was the case during the holiday season. So you might want to call & check if counting on the 2500 extra GP points.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
RC for HR SC open just this weekend

Thought would utilize this weekend to do my first ever mattress run and earn 6000 points and 0.5 FFN. The biggest plus is that as a Diamond member staying on either Fri, Sat, and Sun night (RC closed) I would be given 2500 points plus breakfast coupons to the restaurant. However, just checked in to find RC is open "just for this weekend". Dope. No 2500 points and no free warm breakfast... Website description for Regency room still states that "Regency Club Lounge is closed from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Guests staying on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights will be given breakfast coupons to the restaurant.".
Eh, 3500 and 1/2 FFN for around $80 is still pretty good.

Last edited by coterie; Jan 16, 2010 at 7:22 pm
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Last time I stayed there I was told the continental breakfast buffet was comped, and one could upgrade to the hot breakfast buffet for $6 more. When I checked out they covered the extra cost and I was not charged. Personally, I'd pay the extra cost as I'm not really a cereal and fruit person at breakfast time.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:26 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by coterie
Thought would utilize this weekend to do my first ever mattress run and earn 6000 points and 0.5 FFN. The biggest plus is that as a Diamond member staying on either Fri, Sat, and Sun night (RC closed) I would be given 2500 points plus breakfast coupons to the restaurant. However, just checked in to find RC is open "just for this weekend". Dope. No 2500 points and no free warm breakfast... Website description for Regency room still states that "Regency Club Lounge is closed from Friday afternoon to Monday morning. Guests staying on Fri, Sat, and Sun nights will be given breakfast coupons to the restaurant.".
Eh, 3500 and 1/2 FFN for around $80 is still pretty good.
I was there when you were there! It was a large meeting of kinderarten teachers. ^ I too was disappointed the lounge was open, but glad I got to see it. I liked the cookies and soda, but would have preferred the points.

I waited too long so didn't get the low rate. I got the $89 rate and bought something in the gift shop to push it over $100 so I could use two Hyatt gift checks.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by kevino
I was there when you were there! It was a large meeting of kinderarten teachers. ^ I too was disappointed the lounge was open, but glad I got to see it. I liked the cookies and soda, but would have preferred the points.

I waited too long so didn't get the low rate. I got the $89 rate and bought something in the gift shop to push it over $100 so I could use two Hyatt gift checks.
Looks like there were at least 3 FTers doing MR at HR Santa Clara this weekend I too was disappointed about the lounge being open for the weekend. kevino, although normally the lounge is closed during the weekend, you can still access it using your room key & get some water/coffee/soft drinks/trail mix/cookies.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
rdchen, that's good to know. ^^ That would be the best of both worlds if we could get some snacks and points too for the lounge being "closed." Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:59 pm
DH

Originally Posted by rdchen
Looks like there were at least 3 FTers doing MR at HR Santa Clara this weekend
Wow, make that 4! I stayed on Sat. Yes, I too was disappointed to find out the lounge was open too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.