Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Lounge is on the 33rd floor of the older looking Harbor Tower, the one closer to the Marriott and Convention Center. Keycard access required and staff usually ask room numbers for breakfast and happy hour. $25 fee for bringing a guest to the lounge. There's apparently 24/7 keycard access for coffee, bottled water, computer use, etc. One bank of elevators serves floors 1-4 (meeting space, pools, etc.) and floors 29-40 (there's a view bar on 40 as well as a few rooms) while the other elevator bank on the Harbor side serves floors 1-4 and the lower room locations.

Breakfast ends at 9:30 weekdays, 11:00 weekends. Every day I saw bacon and some sort of sausage, hot eggs (scrambled plus trimmings to be added), raw ham, smoked salmon, croissants/bagels/bread varieties to be toasted, some cereal, IIRC oatmeal.

Midday snacks from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm weekdays, 11:30 am to 3:30 pm weekends.

Happy hour is from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm every day, with a selection of *free* wine and beer between 5 and 6, followed by the same wine and beer offered in the form of an honor bar from 6 to 9. Each day the food presentation includes a hot protein (cilantro chicken, grilled teriyaki salmon fillet big pieces, chicken putensca, and salmon cakes during my stay), hot mixed vegetable dish, some other cold/salad dish of the day, salad bar including slices of chicken breast, asparagus, olives, etc. with two dressings of the day, and interesting small cakes (cupcakes or pieces) for dessert.

There's a $35 plus tax resort fee (Globs exempt)

- $10 nightly F&B credit - Top of the Hyatt, Brew30, Seaview, Sally's, The Landing

- 24-Hour Fitness Center Access

- Daily 1-Hour Bicycle Usage- Wheel Fun Rentals

- One (1) Kayak or Paddleboard rental per stay

- (1) shoe shine - joey's shoe shine (no boots or suede)

- Premium High Speed Internet

- Wifi in Meeting Space for group events

- 10% Discount on Spa & Salon Services at Marilyn Monroe Spa on 3rd floor of Harbor Tower one visit per stay

- Access to hotel’s recreational courts and equipment, e.g. basketball, volleyball, and games such as giant shuffle board, Jenga, connect four, foosball, corn hole around the pool

- VIP Shopping Pass: Free and discounted items from local shops and restaurants at Seaport Village shopping center located directly outside Seaport Tower

- Rollaway Bed Rental: King rooms only

- Unlimited Phone Calls: Local & domestic long distance

- (1) 1-hr ticket for Harbor Tour per room per stay – Tour is on a modern yacht, 360 views, indoor & outdoor seating, snack bar and full service bar scenic photo opportunities

- One Craft Beer at Brew30 per room per stay

Ten minutes by taxi to/from the airport, perhaps more at rush hour. Fare was under $15 to the far end (DL, AS, UA, etc.) of the newer Terminal 2. Fare from Gaslamp area to hotel is about $7, also assuming no traffic. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Midway Museum and the cruise ship terminal/excursion boat docks.

Print Wikipost

Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The GH Manchester surely is a big property... but in my opinion is still worth considering. The location along the waterfront is pretty nice and the club is pretty decent as well (for a US property). And the fitness and pool area are useful as well.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:03 pm

thx for the answers- unfortunately during our dates (beginning of august) there is only P&C available at the PH Aviara.

Is it worth to spend 400 $ to spend one night at the GH San Diego?

we would then like to split the trip to San Diego, while we would stay two nights at the PH Aviara and one night at the GH.

Or would you then prefer to stay all three nights at the PH Aviara and make some day trips to San Diego.

Thx
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That's too much... book the 3 nights at Aviara if you like the property.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LeonardvonGrabe
Is it worth to spend 400 $ to spend one night at the GH San Diego?
No no no no. I wouldn't pay more than $200-225 for that property.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Try the Andaz
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Try the Andaz
Unless you're hoping to sleep.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Trying out the Grand Hyatt over New Year's Eve - happened to score the Penthouse suite for a super cheap rate so we booked it for 3 nights.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Completed a weekend stay on points + DSU at the property and couldn't have been happier.

Prior to arrival, a Guest Connections manager and the GM directly reached out to me, which always tends to be a good sign.

I mentioned that we were actually celebrating a special occasion hoping for a better view or something along those lines. The property blew those expectations out of the water by upgrading us to a penthouse suite and placing some Champagne and other treats in the room.

This was on top of the excellent service we received all weekend from everybody we encountered. All in all, a great and memorable stay for us and I'll be back.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
What are the upgrade chances as a discoverist at this property?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
What are the upgrade chances as a discoverist at this property?
I wouldn't expect it but it never hurts to ask nicely at check in. It helps to be specific about what you want. They also may be willing to bump you up for a nominal fee.

I was there last year (granted as a diamond) and wanted a suite above what was reserved. Specifically, I wanted I high level suite near the club to avoid schlepping my children back and forth between the towers. With a couple of kids hanging on the checkin countertop and a "please save me" look on my face, the agent happily accommodated bumped us up.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Ok thanks. I booked with cash and points for labor day weekend but will keep my fingers crossed for an upgrade to a club room.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by chenalex
Ok thanks. I booked with cash and points for labor day weekend but will keep my fingers crossed for an upgrade to a club room.
Talking with some people in the club while I was there, they were offered a bump up to a club room for around $50 a night, which given how nice the club is there and the amount of food (breakfast + heavy enough appetizers / salads in the evenings were turned into a dinner a couple of times), I'd say is worth it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Spent a night at this property recently and very, very pleased. Staff is very helpful. Got upgraded to a suite without having used a TSU. The espresso machine was quite nice.

I had a 4 pm checkout. I asked if they could keep my bill open because I was hanging around the area and wanted to eat at Sally's and bill to my folio after checkout, and they happily accommodated that. And why not, I've always asked myself! Kudos to Manchester for it's common sense that's not so common.

Sally's was fine; I squeezed into the Happy Hour; it is too expensive for my sensibilities outside Happy Hour.

Self-parking $35 billed to room. Even with a convention, obviously a small one, I had a very reasonable rate. That place is HUGE and they need to fill it.

Oh, and they have a shoe-shine lady who did a great job.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Do Globalists get free parking here on points stays? Or is the parking fee billed to the hotel?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Do Globalists get free parking here on points stays? Or is the parking fee billed to the hotel?
My self-parking was billed to my room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.