Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Cologne (Köln) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by FD1971
All rooms have indeed the same beds.

The mini bar is always included when one books a suite, so I assume they do not differentiate between cash, points or cash and cert. I know that IC Hotels are differentiating between points or cash stays, but I do not think that Hyatt is that cheap...under the bottom line, we are talking about ~ Euro 20 worth of spirits, soft drinks and snacks...

On of the downsides of the RC in Cologne, there is no fridge in the RC and they offer the small 0.2l bottles of Coke products or water, so even if you take one to your room, the mini bar cannot hurt...
Its a deal killer for me at any IC hotel that discriminates when booking on points
Not every IC hotel behaves that way but there are those that do
Thats just one of a number of reasons that Priorty Club is not my primary program.Its a revenue killer as well when I believe my point currency will not be recognized after earning my tier status in any program
Sounds like the mini bar will come in very handy... Sweeet
Odd that they don't have a fridge in the RC.What do they do ice it?
Please don't tell me they hand out warm beers and cokes in the RC
Is their electricity in Cologne ?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Odd that they don't have a fridge in the RC.What do they do ice it?
Please don't tell me they hand out warm beers and cokes in the RC
Is their electricity in Cologne ?
They have a large storage room and mini-kitchen on the left side of the Regency Club right opposite from the check-in desk.

You can see the Dom from the Regency Club, even when it is dark, spirits from the mini bar were also chilled, so I guess...yes !
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, ProrityClub
Originally Posted by ACfly
Thanks goodness... for breaksfast the lounge is smoke-free!
The RC lounge is smoke-free whole day.
Also the lobby now is smoke-free.
The Schälsick bar is still smoking ...would very much like to see that changed.
There are talks of a new bar outside Glashaus with the upcoming renovations and that one should be smoke free then.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm excited for my trip to this hotel next month! Has the RC food in the evenings improved at all since last year's reviews?
Old Mar 2, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
Have any Diamonds ever been upgraded to a suite here without using upgrades certs? I am staying this weekend with my family and am really hoping there is a possibility of an upgrade. I am using FFN's and points so I can't use my upgrade certs.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Would definitely not look for a suite based on Diamond status. Sorry.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoveries, HH Gold, SPG Gold, A-Club Silver, IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz PC
I stayed there last Dec and as a Diamond I was only upgraded to Rhine View King with club access. I was abit disappointed as the hotel wasn't fully booked at that time as it was Winter and near Xmas. However, we were happy to be able to have full buffet breakfast at the restaurant as Diamonds (please enquire about breakfast upon check-in, staff had told us that we could have brekky either at the restaurant or lounge. However upon check-out, we were hit with an enormous bill for brekky but they took it off the bill so it was all good) Remember to try the hot chocolate in the restaurant!

Originally Posted by linuxchick
Have any Diamonds ever been upgraded to a suite here without using upgrades certs? I am staying this weekend with my family and am really hoping there is a possibility of an upgrade. I am using FFN's and points so I can't use my upgrade certs.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crystak
I'm excited for my trip to this hotel next month! Has the RC food in the evenings improved at all since last year's reviews?
It was never bad in the first place, but some people confuse quantity with quality....and Regency Club's in Europe have a tendency to offer quality, although some guests would prefer fried chicken strips with tons of cheap dip.

Some amouse bouche on a spoon or small plate, like a small piece of meat flavoured with several different spices from a certain region plus some appetizers are more appreciated than quantity, quantity, quantity, IMHO.

I have enjoyed dishes like 'Buendner Fleisch with parmesan flakes' or smoked fish dishes at Cologne that were far superior to a Walmart Deli like potatoe salat at some US clubs.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by linuxchick
Suites are already sold out for the weekend, Regency Exec. Suite available for Friday only and Regency Suite available for Saturday. Expect some VIP guests at the property on Saturday with slightly increased security...

Chances to get a suite for Diamonds on really expensive rates were very slim in the past, on a FFN redemption, even with suites available, I would say close to nada.

Hopefully, you get a rhine view room, rooms facing the interior courtyard are nothing to write home about, Top 10 candidate for worst view of any Hyatt systemwide...
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by karenalexislee
I stayed there last Dec and as a Diamond I was only upgraded to Rhine View King with club access. I was abit disappointed as the hotel wasn't fully booked at that time as it was Winter and near Xmas.

You should not be disappointed. If a Hyatt has a Regency Club open and running, I expect a good room on the RC floor or with RC access ( based on several hundred stays, a good room, but not the best available room, though )

If a Hyatt does not have a RC at all or open, I would be a little disappointed, if they have suites available, especially in the US, but not necassarily at a Hyatt International location....
Old Mar 3, 2010, 7:00 am

I had several stays in Jan 10 in Cologne. Upgraded 2 of them with Suite Upgrades and got the "Magnolien Suite" on the first floor. Was a nice one with a real nice view in the evening on "Kölner Dom". Until 18th of Jan the RC was not available for Breakfast so that we got Buffet at the Glashaus which was really nice. I was not offered the choice of RC or Full Breakfast on stays after 18th of Jan. The hotel needs a renovation as it seems to be outdated a little bit to me. As a summary I was treated nice as a Diamond.

Chris
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:48 am
Suspended

Renovation update

Stayed a night at the property this week, upgraded to Regency Exec. Suite with views of the Dom, which was highly appreciated. Diamond Amenity was a bottle of red wine and a fruit plate.

Floors 2 & 3 are already renovated, 1st floor is done next week, corner suites ( Regency Exec. ) will follow in the coming months. Plan for lobby and RC renovation not yet finalised.

Was able to take a look at one of the renovated rooms on the first floor and my expectations were fulfilled, but nothing more.

Updated version of the European Hyatt Regency bed, but no Grand Bed. Still a lot of dark colours in a relatively dark hotel , very stylish, but more discreet and subtile in comparison and certainly not as modern as the new US Hyatt Regency / Hyatt Place design, which uses more and brighter colours.

New desk and dark leather desk-chair look nice and also the armoire with the Samsung 37 inch LCD fits quite nice into the room. Carpet colours, also in the hallways are a mix of creme, brown, black and a bit of red in the rooms.

Bathroom was not renovated at all, same Water L'eau products as usual.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum

Mini-bar is included and is stocked very well with quality spirits, beer, soft drinks and some crisps + chocolate.

Quick quick question! I'm here right now on a diamond suite upgrade. Is the minibar 100% complimentary?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Stayed a night at the property this week, upgraded to Regency Exec. Suite with views of the Dom, which was highly appreciated. Diamond Amenity was a bottle of red wine and a fruit plate.

Floors 2 & 3 are already renovated, 1st floor is done next week, corner suites ( Regency Exec. ) will follow in the coming months. Plan for lobby and RC renovation not yet finalised.

Was able to take a look at one of the renovated rooms on the first floor and my expectations were fulfilled, but nothing more.

Updated version of the European Hyatt Regency bed, but no Grand Bed. Still a lot of dark colours in a relatively dark hotel , very stylish, but more discreet and subtile in comparison and certainly not as modern as the new US Hyatt Regency / Hyatt Place design, which uses more and brighter colours.

New desk and dark leather desk-chair look nice and also the armoire with the Samsung 37 inch LCD fits quite nice into the room. Carpet colours, also in the hallways are a mix of creme, brown, black and a bit of red in the rooms.

Bathroom was not renovated at all, same Water L'eau products as usual.
Thanks for the updates ^

How many floors are there?Do you prefer the non renovated suite to the renovated guest rooom?
Is there any known expected completion dates on suites?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crystak
Quick quick question! I'm here right now on a diamond suite upgrade. Is the minibar 100% complimentary?
Yes, however it cannot hurt to ask the RC staff during the afternoon service, if they did not change the policy in the meantime, my last stay was ~ 5 weeks ago.

Which suite did you get ?

Regency or Regency Executive ?

Enjoy the views, should be beautiful today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.