Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 17, 2004, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Any info on this hotel? How do they treat Diamonds? How are the rooms, etc? Thanks!
Old Jun 19, 2004, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
I just stayed over Mem. Day weekend (2 rooms on pts) and they gave me exceptional treatment. They blocked us into a suite with a huge living and dining area and bedroom, and an adjoining regular hotel room (so effectively, a 2BR/3BA suite). The view of the Savannah River ship canal was fantastic.

The suite was not available when we checked in at 5 pm on Saturday, so they gave us the regular room to dump our stuff in and bought us two rounds of drinks in the friendly bar. This is above and beyond in my opinion.

The hotel is a somewhat dated atrium-style hotel but serviceable with a fantastic location on the Savannah River and right downtown. Parking is $13/night IIRC, and there is a so-so pool and gym.

The only complaint on an otherwise great stay was the breakfast. Diamonds are given a continental coupon, but the credit cannot be applied to breakfast off the menu, only to an overpriced buffet. The service in the restaurant was poor.

Anyway, definitely good value as a Cat. 2 hotel.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:42 pm
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
I too have stayed there 3 times before and been very pleased with their service.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by kv99

The hotel is a somewhat dated atrium-style hotel but serviceable with a fantastic location on the Savannah River and right downtown. Parking is $13/night IIRC, and there is a so-so pool and gym. Anyway, definitely good value as a Cat. 2 hotel.
I agree with all the comments posted here. The staff was very kind and efficient. The hotel is similar to the San Antonio River Walk Hotel. Very much early 80's feel in construction and even decor. A basic hotel, but was fine for our needs.
Old Dec 7, 2004, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Hyatt Savannah - Ongoing HORRIBLE treatment

Well, it's taken me so long to post all of the HORRIBLE treatment I've been receiving from the management and staff at this hotel. Unfortunately as this is the only Hyatt in the area, I am forced to continue to give them my business, all for the sake of FFN's. I know they can't stand me since every few days a manager talks to me about some issue.

Here are the sequence of events...I started staying at this hotel in late June for business on a weekly basis. I am contracting for the gov't, so was able to stay on gov't rates. A few weeks later, I was told by a few managers that my gov't rate would not qualify since I am a contractor, etc. After trying to talk to them about giving me the rate or giving me a negotiated corporate rate (since I was planning to be in Sav 8 months), they did not care. So that was fine.

After going on BFT, I saw that Hyatt Sav was going for a cheaper rate than my gov't rate, so I started bidding on it. At that time, mr subdawg came to join me for a few months since he could work remotely. So we were able to do the check in/check out thing to maximize our FFN earnings. Of course the slew of problems began. First, I was told that I would only get 1 bfast coupon, even though there were 2 of us. Then sometimes I would not get any bfast coupons. No amenity (which is fine, we didnt' think we deserved getting 1/stay/day!). Then they gave me a lot of trouble for storing my luggage there on the weekends. They basically kicked my luggage out since my next stay was not scheduled until 4 days later. So I had to figure out where I was supposed to store all my stuff.

Then they took away their PL availability...wonder if it was because of me. So then I found an amex rate for me to earn FFNs for the current promo. Another manager talked to me last week about not being able to check in for mr subdawg (or vice versa) unless my name was on the reservation. Fine, understood. So a few nights ago, I was denied check-in, even though my name was on mr subdawg's reservation. Apparently, all of the front desk knows all these "rules" as it pertains to me.

You would think that after staying at the hotel consistently for 5 months as a diamond, that they would offer me some sort of special treatment. I guess I do not pull in enough revenue for them. The hotel has been so empty lately, I'm doing them a favor by providing revenue. I am just not happy that every week there is something that they have to talk to me about. It's so bad that I try to avoid walking by the front desk so that they won't give me dirty looks or pull me for another "meeting"...I have to go through the parking garage and the side elevators!

Part of me can't wait for this FFN promo to be over so I can stay at some hotels w/better service!
Old Dec 14, 2004, 3:11 pm
Suspended

Exclamation Hyatt Regency Savannah Undergoing Renovation

Renovation Work Begins at Hyatt

Savannah's Hyatt Regency hotel on Bay Street is closed at least for the next four days. Demolition work was started on the Hyatt lobby this morning. Floor and walls are being ripped up and readied for improvements.

Over the next few months, the entire building will be upgraded. The lobby work won't be finished until March, but the hotel will be open for business again this Friday.

The price tag for this extreme makeover is some $10 million.

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.a...0&nav=0qq6U9PH
Old Dec 14, 2004, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Glad they're finally undergoing renovations, the new rooms will look more trendy. This is slated to be finished in late spring 05. Will keep everyone posted.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
My first post in 40 plus days.

I was there March 28-April 1, 2007 on a gov't rate as a diamond.

Put into a jr.suite -room 406. It was one of those rooms that is poorly configured with the desk way far a way and space that is not well used. However, it had

1. a nice couch facing the river
2. a lovely view of the river
3. an even lovelier view of the freighters going back and forth to the port

Bed was fine, same old, same old.
Bathroom was fine and small. They didn't have alternate toiletries to the white orchid ginger stuff, so we had to go buy our own.
Wi-fi sucked, so we just gave up after a day and went without knowing what was happening at home.
Did not eat breakfast, so I cannot comment on its quality. We were up and out way early every day.
Air conditioning was weak at best. However, it was on all the time.
No plasma tv, if you care.
Good sized safe in room, good for storing laptop.
No regency club, which would have been useful for something to eat at night.

This hotel is a blight on the historic waterfront of Savannah, which was interesting as we were in town with a bunch of historic preservationists and architects who made it very clear. It is your basic atrium hotel, with no windows that open unless you get one of their deluxe suites.

If you do, then you will be facing the port and not have a great view.

So, its a toss up.

The concierge was okay, we really didn't need anything. The front desk was not particularily sharp. I did ask for a savannah paper, which was delivered only on the weekend when the US today was not being delivered.

There is some street parking nearby, we used it one day we got a car.

The hotel is close to many of the better restaurants on Broughton. Our meeting was at the desoto, so we walked back and forth through the squares most of the time. Lots of decent coffee places other than starbucks, but they are sloooooooooooooooow, so make sure you have time.

Have fun. I have also stayed at the Westin across the way, which is a nice hotel, but truly souless.

lala
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
Was there this past Christmas.

The hotel really is an ugly concrete bunker on the riverfront, and surely (now that the Ellis Square garage is gone) ranks high on many a Savannahan's list of "buildings I'd love to see imploded." Of course, if you want to avoid seeing the ugliest building in town, your best bet is to be inside said building.

That said, the rooms are acceptable if unremarkable (had a standard looking northwest toward the bridge), the breakfast buffet was quite good, the staff was really exceptionally friendly, and the location is very convenient to the riverfront tourist strip -- even if you do have to cross busy Bay St. to get to everything else. The renovation appears to have been more update than extreme makeover, but I was pleased with the all-new gym. (Separate stretching/yoga room, above-average selection of weight machines.)

Next time, I'll probably stay at one of the umpteen B&Bs inside the town, but this was a good chance to accumulate FFN nights -- and after seeing where the Westin is, I'm really glad I didn't stay there.

FYI, the off-street metered parking area just to the north of the hotel has five-hour meters.

Last edited by paytonc; Apr 12, 2007 at 7:48 pm
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Yes, I forgot, the gym rocked.

Lots of decent treadmills and ellipticals and good weights. Can hook up to tvs in treadmills if you wanted.

There is a water cooler there as well.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:11 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Breakfast buffet, which I got free as a Diamond in Nov. 2006, included fresh berries & smoked salmon (lox) !
Worth waking up for, as I rarely eat standard American breakfast food.

As above, a bland box in an awesome location. Great deal at old Cat. 2; fair deal on high-priced days as Cat. 3 now.
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Stayed there Apr 15-17 in room 226 (upgraded to riverfront as they were sold out, a 20-40$/night value). The bathroom was tiny and you could see they just did a facelift on the 70s or 80s originals The mainroom was great and spacious, nice TV, excellent view. Happy that I didn't stay at the Westin too.

Breakfast was soso. The buffet didn't rock my world, but they served omlettes on request and the serving team was very friendly and warm. Breakfast costs a flat 16.85$/head. The only paper was USA Today.

The bar kicked us out when wanted to go in 5 min before closing for a nightcap. My room didn't have a minibar.

I stayed there because it was part of the convention. Wouldn't spend my own money on it and rather stay in the Hampton Inn down the street or in one of the B&Bs.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Stayed here for just one night this past week.
Easy, pleasant checkin.
Got upgraded to a junior suite which was nice.
Room was nice. Good view over the river.
Nice big TV
Boring , usual bathroom - wish Hyatt would upgrade their bathrooms!
Loving sitting area and kitchenette
Another perk here for being a Diamond member is free valet parking.
That was also nice.
Staff are all very professional and pleasant, especially in the bar/restaurant.
Huge servings of food here!!
Breakfast was bland and not very nice but you could get by on cereal and toast.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wow, a search didn't really pull up that much on this location. Anything new anyone wants to add? Diamond treatment? Food/lounge offerings? Upgrade possibilities?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Bump - anyone? Bueller?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.