Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Expiring Free Night Cert - Exchanging for Points? Diamond rep alluded to this

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone, has anyone had this option given to them? I have a night that's going to expire tomorrow and they said, "Well if you can't use it, call back on Thursday to see if we can give you points for it".

I asked why they were being vague and they answered "We have to review your account to see if it meets our criteria, and if it does we will be able to give you some points back".

So now I am stuck...should I just burn the cert at a hyatt place in town or wait to see what points i can get.

Anyone experience this before?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some blogger wrote something similar recently. Can't remember which one. I think it was 10,000 points for the 30-night Cat 1-4.

As for criteria... who knows...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I asked twitter...they encouraged me to check back but couldn't give me any details till I called back on Thursday. Will report back and ask about criteria.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
I asked twitter...they encouraged me to check back but couldn't give me any details till I called back on Thursday. Will report back and ask about criteria.
this is from the wiki on the hyatt credit card, (sorry don't feel like formatting it all pretty, just a plain copy + paste). i'm not sure what the "platinum" equivalent really is post-WOH, discoverist or explorerererist. maybe it's non-globalist guests with status?

If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?

According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:

Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.

These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrizzl
this is from the wiki on the hyatt credit card, (sorry don't feel like formatting it all pretty, just a plain copy + paste). i'm not sure what the "platinum" equivalent really is post-WOH, discoverist or explorerererist. maybe it's non-globalist guests with status?

If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?

According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:

Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.

These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Thanks but this is old and relates to the old "better" HGP program. My query related to the cat 1-4 certs we get after 30 nights.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
There are now other free night certs besides the credit card ones.

I'm wondering about the cat 1-4 issued as part of WoH.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
I've been trying to use a Cat 1-7 cert. There aren't many places that will take them. What's the deal with that? (Yes, I'm logged in). If that's the case, those certs are pretty much worthless. Very disappointing.
Anyone know of any Cat 6 or 7 properties that take these?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsallgood
....Anyone know of any Cat 6 or 7 properties that take these?
Any Cat 6 or 7 property with standard room available.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
Any Cat 6 or 7 property with standard room available.
The website must have been acting up. I wasn't able to book a free night at the Monterey Residence Club for several days. I then tried multiple other locations. Logged out and back in this AM after not finding anything. Now it works. I hate the Hyatt website.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:54 am

Wait, so diamond members got 20k for a 1-4 award? Seems odd you could convert a cat 4 into a cat 5.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66
Wait, so diamond members got 20k for a 1-4 award? Seems odd you could convert a cat 4 into a cat 5.
No, that was only for the 2 free credit card nights upon first hitting the spend bonus not the anniversary night.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I have 2 free Hyatt nights in my account but don't see the option to book them online when logged in, even for 1 night stays. I see points available for all the rooms I'm looking at.

Anyone else experiencing this? Did Hyatt remove the ability to book online?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

in case others have certs expiring, i was able to get 10k in points from Hyatt for my cert. Definitely appreciated. Too bad they can't be transparent about the criteria. To be clear these are the cat 1-4 certs that you get from staying at different brands and from staying 30 nights.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
in case others have certs expiring, i was able to get 10k in points from Hyatt for my cert. Definitely appreciated. Too bad they can't be transparent about the criteria. To be clear these are the cat 1-4 certs that you get from staying at different brands and from staying 30 nights.
The 5-brand certificate should be nowhere near expiry. Are you saying that you can simply call up now and ask for the conversion?

10K is worth more to me (as the basis for P+C) than a non-elite-qualifying free night...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

I just meant it was a category 1 through 4 certificate I can't remember whether it was a five brand one or a 30 night one or an anniversary one (I used to have the card) . No you cannot call and just exchange your points you have to wait until it expires. In my case I called the day after expired and got my 10k in points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.