Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Points when not allowed to cancel

Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

This is specific to a Hyatt -the Regency Boston Harbor. I tried to cancel a reservation early afternoon for that night made through Chase Sapphire Reserve and was denied. (I got on an earlier flight and decided to take it). Do I have any case to get the points I would have gotten with the stay ? I would have had time to check in and out using the room for an hour but didn't.

This is almost generic as well considering the changes in everyone's cancellation policies.

thanks
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

No points or night credit without checking in.....
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately not. Next time I would check-in and then do self checkout in the morning from wherever you are
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
No points for a no show.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Unfortunately not. Next time I would check-in and then do self checkout in the morning from wherever you are
Are you sure that works? I thought someone has to open the door.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I believe you are correct. But perhaps the person suggesting that believed that much was inferred.

Let me try a rephrase.

Been awhile but in my work travel era I had similar situations leaving Houston. Still wanting the stay credit. I checked in, folded back the bed, unwrapped the soap, left a small tip, charged a cookie, and headed for the airport.

Worked every time and if the flight change got cancelled I could just go back to my room.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
No points for a no show.

FD has better things to do than babysit whether you've opened the door.

Check in. Check out by phone in the morning. Done.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JackE
FD has better things to do than babysit whether you've opened the door.

Check in. Check out by phone in the morning. Done.
You clearly don't understand the issue.

I don't believe the system will recognize a "stay" for credit purposes unless the guest actually opens the door to the room.

Last edited by Kacee; Jul 25, 2017 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That would require linking systems and that is something Hyatt IT is incapable of..... just check-in should do the trick (check-out isn't really required).
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
No. The system does not care if you open the door or not. Or at least last year under HGP, it did not. I had a couple of times where I literally checked in at a Cat 1 hotel, and walked out the front door to not return. I called the next morning to check out but I don't think you even have to do that. The system will automatically check you out at the right time and charge your card on file.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

I don't believe the system will recognize a "stay" for credit purposes unless the guest actually opens the door to the room.
This is only an issue with those brands at competing chains where you can check-in via an app and open your room door using your phone. (without ever passing the front desk)

Otherwise I have done many mattress runs without entering the room. You simply need to check-in at the front desk.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I tried to cancel a reservation early afternoon for that night made through Chase Sapphire Reserve and was denied.
Wouldn't that be considered a non eligible stay anyway and thus not be elible for points (or benefits) or night credit?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Otherwise I have done many mattress runs without entering the room. You simply need to check-in at the front desk.
Exactly - why go in and tussle the bed and crap where the maid has to clean up. Give her a free room and some extra quick money by doing nothing in there.

People who think hyatt or any other chain is somehow looking through their room to see if they slept there are pretty tinfoil hat. The only time they check if you're there is if there are regulations in the city or state level that require a welfare check every few days in hotel spaces.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
This is specific to a Hyatt -the Regency Boston Harbor. I tried to cancel a reservation early afternoon for that night made through Chase Sapphire Reserve and was denied.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Wouldn't that be considered a non eligible stay anyway and thus not be elible for points (or benefits) or night credit?
That is what I am wondering too reading the OP's post - the stay is booked thru a 3rd party site - that is not even an eligible stay to begin with.

When everyone is talking about how to make a false stay, wouldn't anyone notice that the stay would not be an eligible stay as it is not book directly with Hyatt own site?

Unless OP is saying he uses the Credit Card to guarantee the booking but the booking is made directly on Hyatt site.... This is not clear to me the way he words it.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

The issue I'm addressing is that once you check in, do they enforce or even care about whether you open the door to your room.

Since according to your post you don't actually know one way the other....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by JackE
The issue I'm addressing is that once you check in, do they enforce or even care about whether you open the door to your room.

Since according to your post you don't actually know one way the other....
They dont care in my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.