Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Who has moved business from other chains TO WOH?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:07 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

In multiple WOH threads, FTers have indicated they moved business away from Hyatt to other chains like Hilton, Marriott etc, due to the new program WOH, and are merely burning their points. Reasons for doing so are manifold, and not the intention of this thread to discuss.

I thought of starting this thread to actually understand, who has moved their business FROM other chains TO WOH and what the reasons are.

Curious....

Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I've been a Diamond for 10+ years, usually qualifying with 25 one night stays. I wanted to keep the status for at least one more year - partly because I didn't want to loose benefits and partly because I'd like to see if upgrades improve when Globalist ranks thin out. The recent double point promotion provided added incentive to move nights into Hyatt. So, essentially, I will have moved 35 additional nights to Hyatt this year.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:43 pm

As badly as WOH sucks, Hyatt hotels themselves are still generally solid. I always prefer a purpose-built Hyatt Place or Hyatt House over their Hilton or Marriott counterparts. And I have gold status with both Hilton and Marriott - no status with Hyatt.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Yes... one stay, seven nights that would have unlikely gone to Hyatt without WoH.

WoH made me Explorist instead of Platinum, so I found myself with four club awards. I decided to book one long award stay to use at least one of the club awards and all my points before my awesome status expired. Even got the Hyatt credit card to get more points for the award. Without the Club award (i.e., without Explorist status) the seven nights would have gone to some other chain.

One last mini-hurrah, thanks for WoH!

(as for revenue stays... zero. WoH has put any status aspirations aside, so the only reasons for me to book Hyatt would be price, location, or promos, but that's been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.)
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by edsh
I've been a Diamond for 10+ years, usually qualifying with 25 one night stays. I wanted to keep the status for at least one more year - partly because I didn't want to loose benefits and partly because I'd like to see if upgrades improve when Globalist ranks thin out. The recent double point promotion provided added incentive to move nights into Hyatt. So, essentially, I will have moved 35 additional nights to Hyatt this year.
Similar story. In past years I would stay about 30-35 nights (25 stays) to get to Diamond. YTD I am at 40 nights already. These have been primarily taken from SPG, where I used to do about 60 nights per year.

I basically will be flipping my stay pattern from SPG to Hyatt (Still getting to SPG platinum, but on stays). While others have found WoH to be very disappointing, I have found it to be generally a step up for my needs/what I value.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Due to WOH changes, moving 40-50 nights from SPG to Hyatt.

Reasons:
1) Nights 61-100 essentially have a 1K points /night running promotion.
2) TSU upgrades on award stays has increased usability and IMO, this is the best benefit of any elite program.
3) Breakfast at Hyatt remains far better than SPG/Marriott or Hilton.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
These are all solid answers, but for me and many others, not enough of a suburban footprint to allow for 60 visits. Couple that with award does not count, no thanks. Keeping my LT SPG plat, renewing HH D and moving on. 0 paid stays thus far
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Given the way certain corporate customers were offered status matches/challenges, I would expect some of those folks to have moved over to WOH.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Staying almost exclusive at Hyatt as I definitely want to re qualify for Globalist. The benefits on personal vacation travel overseas are very good. Also just about 60,000 base points away from LT Globalist. On top of that want to see details of what Marriott/Starwood do to my LT SPG Platinum in the new program. Staying with them just enough so my combined total nights in the two programs gets to 750.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I've moved all my Hilton stays to Hyatt, basically abandon HH status in order to get to 60 nights for Globalist. I'll stay at SPG when Hyatt options don't exist or are poor. SPG LTP and by extension MR Plat gives me the flexibility to try to maintain WoH status.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CIT85
I've moved all my Hilton stays to Hyatt, basically abandon HH status in order to get to 60 nights for Globalist. I'll stay at SPG when Hyatt options don't exist or are poor. SPG LTP and by extension MR Plat gives me the flexibility to try to maintain WoH status.
There's also Marriott rollover to enable one to switch to Hyatt.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I did not stay at Hyatt at all before 2016, until they gave status match for SPG Platinum about 1.5-2 years ago. Then I tried Hyatt, liked it, and requalified with over 60 nights per year. With the WoH changes, it weeds out some 25-35 night Globalist members so it improves my odds of suite upgrades. And now I get extra benefits each 10 nights above 60 nights so I have been actively trying to move Hilton stays to Hyatt because I already qualified for Hilton Diamond; extra stays at Hilton are useless, unlike extra stays at Hyatt.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
I am moving more nights from SPG to WOH because of the 60 night qualification vs the 25 stays with SPG. Will most likely be the first time I'm not Plat50 with SPG. But, with the upcoming merger and the fact I rely on Egencia for most of my stays, I need to maintain WOH status.

Not a single Marriott hotel earns points/status via Egencia, and if that is the case post merger, then I'll lose my ability to retain top tier status, while the vast majority of Hyatt hotels earn points/stays on Egencia. It also helps that a lot of my travel is to DC, Boston, Chicago and Ottawa which have an abundance of Hyatt and SPG hotels
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
For the last 6 years (rookie traveler here) I've been top tier at Hilton, Marriott, SPG and Fairmont. I only tried out Hyatt for the first time last year when they offered a status match. Ever since then, I've been staying at Hyatt whenever possible. Even with the new WOH program, I find it more generous than the other programs.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:09 pm
formerly a193991
Original Poster
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Thanks for the comments so far. Interesting reading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.