Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounges and their crazy rules

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Lounges and their crazy rules

During my stays as a Diamond and now globalist, I have encountered some crazy situations. Tonight's experience at the Playa Del Carmen - Grand Hyatt represented a new low in service.

As I see the lounge perk for Globalist, a hotel's food and beverage are benefits for me and my family to enjoy. If you put something out, I'm going to enjoy them in the lounge or if I want to bring something back to the room, I should not be restricted. After all, if no lounge existed, I would be able to order breakfast to the room. Removing food from the lounge, restaurant, galley has been the case at almost any Park, Grand, Hyatt and even Hyatt Places. I can't ever remember when you were not permitted to remove food from a lounge.

Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen is not so friendly. Water, coffee and soft beverages can be removed from the lounge. Everything else was prohibited unless it was an exception and you were made to feel as though they were doing you a favor. After many years as a Diamond and now at Globalist, this was the first time in all my travels when I was told I could not take a treat back to the room.

Does anyone else know of places where similar local restrictions on the use of the lounge exist?

END OF RANT.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:40 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jfirstenberg
After many years as a Diamond and now at Globalist, this was the first time in all my travels when I was told I could not take a treat back to the room.
Like with so much else, unfortunately, I believe that because some people abuse the benefit, it ruins it for everyone else. While you may have only wanted to take a small treat back to your room, there have probably in the past been people putting large quantities of food into containers to take from the lounge, pushing the hotel to implement a strict policy regarding taking food out.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
It's a lounge, not self-service room service.

I have seen people carry out multiple plates piled high with everything they could stack in it, stuffing their cargo pockets with utensils and beers. I guess they were self-catering their private party with friends/family who didn't have access to the lounge.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:49 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I can't ever remember when you were not permitted to remove food from a lounge ... Does anyone else know of places where similar local restrictions on the use of the lounge exist?
My Hyatt stays are mostly in Asia, and it's common to have language in the welcome letter (or signs in the lounge) stating that lounge food is to be consumed in the lounge. Most of these hotels will provide paper cups for take-away coffee, and probably wouldn't mind if you take a bottle of water, but that's about it. And I would venture to guess that most guests like it that way.

In the US, I've seen people take food from the lounge -- some hotels seem set up for that, providing trays and plastic cutlery -- but the piling up of huge plates seems rather tacky. Where did this idea come from that the lounge is a mini self-serve supermarket for people to take whatever they want?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As I see the lounge perk for Globalist, a hotel's food and beverage are benefits for me and my family to enjoy. If you put something out, I'm going to enjoy them in the lounge or if I want to bring something back to the room, I should not be restricted.
It seems the property does not agree with you

Their lounge, their rules. Can't say this particular rule strikes me as particularly unreasonable, for the reasons others have already noted.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I don't intend to pile on to the OP, but his report makes me more inclined to visit this hotel.

Rather than implement such a no-takeaway policy, many other hotel lounges supply so little by the way of edible food that there is no incentive to take anything away. I'll stick with good food but only in the lounge please...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Don't see any issue with this. Expecting to take food back to the room seems off
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:58 am

...but, I'm a Diamond guest.

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Most lounges, be it hotel or airline, that I've been into have had specific wording that states food and beverage is meant to consumed in the lounge.

Ive never seen a sign that says please feel free to take out.

Fdw
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
My Hyatt stays are mostly in Asia, and it's common to have language in the welcome letter (or signs in the lounge) stating that lounge food is to be consumed in the lounge. Most of these hotels will provide paper cups for take-away coffee, and probably wouldn't mind if you take a bottle of water, but that's about it. And I would venture to guess that most guests like it that way.
Agreed, I spent 6 weeks in HK last summer and they were very reasonable. After a week or so, they saw that I would take away a coffee after breakfast and started bringing it to the table as I was finishing.

They also had no issues with you grabbing a coke or bottle of water mid day and returning to your room, as I would sometimes do on weekends when I was hanging around.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:28 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Most lounges, be it hotel or airline, that I've been into have had specific wording that states food and beverage is meant to consumed in the lounge.

Ive never seen a sign that says please feel free to take out.

Fdw
While I didn't see a sign say "please take out", GH Kauai provides trays and disposable utensils, plates and cups, making it very easy to remove food from the lounge and take it to the room or ?? Of course, this doesn't excuse people making pigs of themselves ...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
...but, I'm a Diamond guest.
"How do you expect me to feed my giraffe?"
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The thought that hanging out in the lounge for an extended period (basically feeding the whole family dinner) is acceptable, but taking a plate of food back to room to enjoy in peace and quiet is not, is quite frankly insulting to me. I have seen signs stating you should eat within the lounge, but that is a rarity (and quite frankly I am much less likely to stay there again)
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:46 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Not really a crazy rule.
i think it is disgusting how people pile up food to take to the room.

i am all for this rule. And GH PDC is a great location and lounge.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
While I didn't see a sign say "please take out", GH Kauai provides trays and disposable utensils, plates and cups, making it very easy to remove food from the lounge and take it to the room or ?? Of course, this doesn't excuse people making pigs of themselves ...
Same at HR Maui. All takeout trays , paperbags and utensils provided. We could even make Lunch sandwiches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.