Wiki Posts
Search

GP Gift Card Discount?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
GP Gift Card Discount?

Most years Hyatt has sold Gift Cards at a discount (e.g. GPGIFT15). Is there such a discount this year? I haven't see any mentions
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Looks unlikely. Would have come out around Black Friday if it was coming.

I'm sure there must be MS-ers reselling gift cards on Ebay, etc. at a discount.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Looks unlikely. Would have come out around Black Friday if it was coming.
Was wondering if I'd missed it. I guess with these occupancies they think they don't need it any more.
I'm sure there must be MS-ers reselling gift cards on Ebay, etc. at a discount.
There was also a fraud problem where someone must have been generating gift card numbers and draining them. The program replaced some of mine last year.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:40 pm

I, too, encountered fraud issues with some Hyatt Gift Cards I purchased about a year ago. Having been burned I will avoid any future gift card purchases regardless of the discount.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by JetAway
I, too, encountered fraud issues with some Hyatt Gift Cards I purchased about a year ago. Having been burned I will avoid any future gift card purchases regardless of the discount.
+1.

Even if I were planning on staying with Hyatt at my current level (which I am not), I would not touch these again!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fraud is limited to eGift cards. Physical Gift cards and Gift certs are fine.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TerryK
My physical cards got hacked. Hyatt replaced them proactively. The new cards have a PIN which the older cards lacked.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:23 pm

Not true. Mine were plastic cards.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seacarl
My physical cards got hacked. Hyatt replaced them proactively. The new cards have a PIN which the older cards lacked.
Not true. Mine were plastic cards.
I stand corrected. Better go check my Hyatt Gift Card balance now.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
My tangible plastic GCs were hacked, as well.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Originally Posted by rfrost
My tangible plastic GCs were hacked, as well.
The ones I purchased in April(?) at Safeway (during the CF 5% grocery store promo) did not have a PIN, only a card number. I found the card number barcoded on the back of each card! It would be really easy for someone to scan dozens of cards in the store, and go back later to see which ones had funds loaded.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by wh6cto
The ones I purchased in April(?) at Safeway (during the CF 5% grocery store promo) did not have a PIN, only a card number. I found the card number barcoded on the back of each card! It would be really easy for someone to scan dozens of cards in the store, and go back later to see which ones had funds loaded.
Mine had been purchased directly from Hyatt quite some time before they were hacked and were still gummed to their gift folders inside the sealed envelopes in which they were posted to me.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
American Express: Use your MR points for a 25% discount on Hyatt GC. Offer ends 12/31.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
I stand corrected. Better go check my Hyatt Gift Card balance now.
Yeah unfortunately the GC numbering system is somewhat obvious... along with not having a pin and an online balance checker, it was fairly easy to write blanks. I'm not sure that has changed even with the pin...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:30 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Yeah unfortunately the GC numbering system is somewhat obvious... along with not having a pin and an online balance checker, it was fairly easy to write blanks. I'm not sure that has changed even with the pin...
It is best to buy gift cards 1-2 days before you are about to use them. For example you could buy discount egift cards that get delivered immediately or with in 24 hours. Once they are delivered, use them for your booking so don't need to worry about balances. I check GiftCardPlace.com for best discounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.