Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

San Diego for Spring Break - which hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

I know this is a tough question to answer because "it depends"....

Situation is this: Hyatt Diamond member, traveling with my 16 year old son, just the two of us for a 5 night trip to San Diego over Spring Break in March.

I'm trying to decide on Grand Hyatt Manchester or Park Hyatt Aviara. I'm counting out the Andaz, probably not the scene for the two of us... Also wanted to ask if a trip to Palm Springs would be worth it to stay at the Indian Wells Resort?

We like a good resort but also like location and activities outside of the hotel as well. I'm not keen on paying super high golf fees at resort courses but would venture out to a nice public course.

I'm leaning towards the Grand Hyatt because of its location in the city, activities around the hotel, lack of resort fees and possibility to use a DSU....

Thoughts on this from people that know these hotels and the area? Thanks so much.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC DSUs book into what are really junior suites.

I like the place, but it's really a big convention hotel; you might want to try to check whether it will be occupied by a big group, and if so who they are. In terms of location, the Gas Lamp (?) Quarter is a bit of a walk, although there are some restaurants and tourist shops by the water, almost on the hotel grounds.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:06 pm

DSUs book into the Signature Suite at the Manchester Grand. You get a 780-square-foot parlor with a 340-square-foot bedroom, two bathrooms. Very nice two room suite using the DSUs and easy to get because they have about 50. They also have a great Regency club.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
16 year old son? Mission Bay. Sun, sand, and surf is all you need. Trust me on this. After 3 days he is going to be looking to go to college here.

Your other two options are going to be boring for a teenager.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grand champions is a zoo around spring break and i suspect mission bay isnt any better. The resort facilities are just not designed for that number of kids/teenagers.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bbbb
DSUs book into the Signature Suite at the Manchester Grand. You get a 780-square-foot parlor with a 340-square-foot bedroom, two bathrooms. Very nice two room suite using the DSUs and easy to get because they have about 50. They also have a great Regency club.
Then this is a big change for the better.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG gold,Marriott silver, AA, UA, Delta
Grand Hyatt

Checking into GH tomorrow. Have stayed over 50 nights the past couple of years. Have also stayed at all the other properties you mentioned. Stay at the GH. Pool and athletic courts. Seaport village next door. Great diamond breakfast and enough in the evening to make a meal. 5-10 minute walk to Gaslamp. Drive, bus or uber to the fantastic zoo and excellent museums at Balboa Park.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by jim87
Checking into GH tomorrow. Have stayed over 50 nights the past couple of years. Have also stayed at all the other properties you mentioned. Stay at the GH. Pool and athletic courts. Seaport village next door. Great diamond breakfast and enough in the evening to make a meal. 5-10 minute walk to Gaslamp. Drive, bus or uber to the fantastic zoo and excellent museums at Balboa Park.
None of that trumps the 5 minute walk from HR Mission Bay to the beach (i.e. girls in bikinis). Think like a 16 yo guy from the Great White North.

Yes, the hotel might be nicer (debatable) but the location for what the OP wants is better at Mission Bay.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
I would also recommend HR Mission Bay. A much better choice for a teenager. I have never actually Stayed at this Hyatt. I just think the area is much more fun than the Seaport Village area. As a local I am biased, I used to live a few blocks away.

Last edited by gadberry; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:09 pm Reason: Add More Info
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

I would definitely rule out Park Hyatt Aviara. It is in suburbia, albeit beautiful suburbia, surrounded by high end subdivisions and golf courses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.