Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coming in 2016: HR Bloomington MN, near MSP and MOA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

There's a website up with details but no opening date yet.

This seems to be new construction. The hotel will have 303 rooms, including 14 suites and 12 accessible rooms, and a club lounge There will be a "market" (deli-like F&B outlet, presumably similar to the Market at the HR in downtown Minneapolis) in addition to a bar and a full service all day restaurant focusing on local fresh foods. (Again, this reminds me of the HR in downtown Minneapolis.) Other facilities include event space and an indoor pool on the second floor. I'm sure there will be a health club too.

The location is just south of I-494, between the MSP airport and the Mall of America. Information says that the hotel will provide shuttle service to both as well as within five miles (which of course does not include downtown Minneapolis). The hotel is apparently being built right at a light rail station (Bloomington Center, for the blue line to MOA, MSP, and downtown Minneapolis, including stops at the baseball field and the pro football stadium that's under construction). There will be lots of free (outdoor) parking plus paid valet parking.

I envision this place as a new upscale (full service, of course) Hyatt property in the upper midwest. It could function as a great airport hotel, similar to the Westin in DTW or the Hyatt at DFW, although it's obviously not located right at the airport, in the terminal or on airport property. It's probably within about a mile of the HP MSP Airport, but on the opposite side of American Boulevard.

Obvious competition would be the newish Radisson Blu at MOA (attached to the mall, but with no free parking and no airport shuttle) and the J W Marriott also at MOA due to open next month.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's a website up with details but no opening date yet.

This seems to be new construction. The hotel will have 303 rooms, including 14 suites and 12 accessible rooms, and a club lounge There will be a "market" (deli-like F&B outlet, presumably similar to the Market at the HR in downtown Minneapolis) in addition to a bar and a full service all day restaurant focusing on local fresh foods. (Again, this reminds me of the HR in downtown Minneapolis.) Other facilities include event space and an indoor pool on the second floor. I'm sure there will be a health club too.

The location is just south of I-494, between the MSP airport and the Mall of America. Information says that the hotel will provide shuttle service to both as well as within five miles (which of course does not include downtown Minneapolis). The hotel is apparently being built right at a light rail station (Bloomington Center, for the blue line to MOA, MSP, and downtown Minneapolis, including stops at the baseball field and the pro football stadium that's under construction). There will be lots of free (outdoor) parking plus paid valet parking.

I envision this place as a new upscale (full service, of course) Hyatt property in the upper midwest. It could function as a great airport hotel, similar to the Westin in DTW or the Hyatt at DFW, although it's obviously not located right at the airport, in the terminal or on airport property. It's probably within about a mile of the HP MSP Airport, but on the opposite side of American Boulevard.

Obvious competition would be the newish Radisson Blu at MOA (attached to the mall, but with no free parking and no airport shuttle) and the J W Marriott also at MOA due to open next month.
This is a welcome addition as i typically stay at the Rad Blu MOA. There is a major lack of high/middle tier hotels in that area. There is free parking at the Rad Blu MOA though. Its actually pretty awesome free covered parking with in and out priv.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
This is a welcome addition as i typically stay at the Rad Blu MOA. There is a major lack of high/middle tier hotels in that area. There is free parking at the Rad Blu MOA though. Its actually pretty awesome free covered parking with in and out priv.
The Westin Galleria Edina is excellent, but there's no airport shuttle and they're not near a light rail line.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:10 am

Agreed i do like that property but as an SPG Gold i rarely get an upgrade there.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Agreed i do like that property but as an SPG Gold i rarely get an upgrade there.
SPG Golds aren't entitled to upgrades, only enhanced rooms in the same category as was booked.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

I drove past the place a few days ago and the signs are up.

However, the location seems a bit different than what I had expected. It's along the south side of American Boulevard (the access road parallel to I-494 on the south side), almost across American Boulevard from the Hyatt Place. Construction barricades prevented me from driving very close to the new building, but it's not at all obvious that it's very close to a light rail station. It looked like the closest one would be several blocks away, with no indoor or sheltered pathway. This makes the hotel much closer to the MSP airport than the Mall of America.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 8:18 am

Thanks for the news, am anticipating staying there. The press release says they are due to open early 2016 does it look like it will be early or late?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

The building exterior and parking lot look finished to me, although I assume that they'll add a bit of landscaping. I wasn't close enough to see the state of anything inside.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:35 am

The hotel will abut the Bloomington Central LRT station on the south end of the property.

The new JW Marriott nearby opens in a week or two for those looking for more choice in luxury hotels.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom_MN
The hotel will abut the Bloomington Central LRT station on the south end of the property.

The new JW Marriott nearby opens in a week or two for those looking for more choice in luxury hotels.
This would be the JW Marriott at the MOA? I guess it competes with the Radisson Blu there, but for something a bit upscale in the southern suburbs, I'd go for either the Westin Edina Galleria or the newly redone Sheraton Bloomington (former Sofitel).
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the heads up on the property MSP. Good to see more high end properties in the area.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat (0.09 MM), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Literally down the street from the Hyat Place near airport I've stayed at from time to time. Will be interested in finding out the nightly rates.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SubzeroMSP
Literally down the street from the Hyat Place near airport I've stayed at from time to time. Will be interested in finding out the nightly rates.
......and across a big street (American Boulevard) which isn't a very pleasant place to walk.

However, I would expect HP guests to be able to use their shuttle bus service to get to the HR restaurant.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Any updated news on expected opening date and does anyone know what category this hotel will be? I will be in MSP for a night in mid-May and it is letting me book a room, but for a points booking it wants 2,147,483,647 points/night.

What happens if I reserve a room but the hotel opening slips? Am I on my own to find something else or does Hyatt arrange alternate accomodations?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

FWIW I noticed a few days ago that the while Hyatt Regency sign was turned on. I saw it from I-494. It's a nice sign of progress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.