Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to The Royal Hotel in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

It is a Private transportation.
It will be charged to your room account
It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A beautifully constructed resort worthy of Grand Hyatt badge.^ Grand Club staff is friendly and eager to serve.^ Rooms are nicely furnished with great ocean view.^

The issue is Coralina Beach Club, which is right at ocean front below suites, has loud night club music on until 3AM on Sunday. I could not get a nice sleep and had to change room. This is major issue unless you are a very heavy sleeper or you should request rooms away from beach. The Coralina is right at Grand Hyatt beach front but it is fenced off. You cannot even enter from Grand Hyatt. The entrance is on 28th street around the corner of GH.

Valet parking is $105 now.

EDIT: Management claimed it was a special private event at Coralina which they were not informed in advance. That's acceptable, if true, but still disappointing. Also, there are no suites away from beach. All suites are oceanfront.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 10, 2016 at 9:31 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
A beautifully constructed resort worthy of Grand Hyatt badge.^ Grand Club staff is friendly and eager to serve.^ Rooms are nicely furnished with great ocean view.^

The issue is Carolina Beach Club, which is right at ocean front below suites, has loud night club music on until 3AM on Sunday. I could not get a nice sleep and had to change room. This is major issue unless you are a very heavy sleeper or you should request rooms away from beach. The Carolina is right at Grand Hyatt beach front but it is fenced off. You cannot even enter from Grand Hyatt. The entrance is on 28th street around the corner of GH.

Valet parking is $105 now.

EDIT: Management claimed it was a special private event at Carolina which they were not informed in advance. That's acceptable, if true, but still disappointing. Also, there are no suites away from beach. All suites are oceanfront.
This is confusing re parking. The Wiki says 90 pesos ($5 give or take) for on-site parking. This post says $105 for valet parking. That is an extreme variance. Does the Wiki need to be updated? Is it actuallly 105 pesos? Can anyone clarify?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
This is confusing re parking. The Wiki says 90 pesos ($5 give or take) for on-site parking. This post says $105 for valet parking. That is an extreme variance. Does the Wiki need to be updated? Is it actuallly 105 pesos? Can anyone clarify?
The symbol for peso is $. Parking is valet only and it went from $90 to $105.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
The symbol for peso is $. Parking is valet only and it went from $90 to $105.
That's what I thought, however, as I said, the Wiki refers to dollars as $ and pesos as "pesos." Further, your sad face at having to pay 6 DOLLARS for valet parking certainly didn't make it any less confusing.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
That's what I thought, however, as I said, the Wiki refers to dollars as $ and pesos as "pesos." Further, your sad face at having to pay 6 DOLLARS for valet parking certainly didn't make it any less confusing.
I read wiki and expected to pay $90 but was surprised to be charged $105. It is a price hike within six months of opening. All prices in Mexico are displayed in pesos ($) although many Americans often ask How much is it in real money? Hint: you can divide prices in peso by current exchange rate of 17 to 1.

The management reached out to me and comped nightly room rate for my sleepless night.^ Great service recovery. :-: I guess I was just unlucky to be hit by this one-time event. I hope hotel can bill the room rate to Coralina Beach Club.

Last edited by TerryK; Jan 10, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
No lounge access due to high occupancy

I just checked into the property tonight for a six-night stay using points (as a Diamond member) and was disappointed to be advised that due to high occupancy, we would not be given access to the Grand Club and will instead have access to the breakfast buffet and be given a one-time credit of 2,500 points. Given they're sold out of Club rooms and almost entirely sold out of all room types, I understand the challenging position the hotel is in, but having evening access to the club lounge for six nights during vacation was worth far more to me than 2,500 points and I wouldn't have stayed here had I known I wouldn't have access. I asked if they might offer drinks in the bar to Diamond members instead, but was advised they could not.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, SW A-List & CP
Originally Posted by merrickdb
I just checked into the property tonight for a six-night stay using points (as a Diamond member) and was disappointed to be advised that due to high occupancy, we would not be given access to the Grand Club and will instead have access to the breakfast buffet and be given a one-time credit of 2,500 points. Given they're sold out of Club rooms and almost entirely sold out of all room types, I understand the challenging position the hotel is in, but having evening access to the club lounge for six nights during vacation was worth far more to me than 2,500 points and I wouldn't have stayed here had I known I wouldn't have access. I asked if they might offer drinks in the bar to Diamond members instead, but was advised they could not.
Yikes. I have never heard of that before and I've stayed in some very popular Hyatt's during peak-season.

I'm staying here starting the 3rd and I hope the occupancy levels go down by then :/
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.....will instead have access to the breakfast buffet and be given a one-time credit of 2,500 points.....
It is a matter of personal preference. I would have preferred it although I was not provided with this option.

The breakfast buffet it far superior to Club offerings and evening spread is nothing special either. The Club is near the entrance which is a long trek to ocean front while La Cocina is right at ocean front. The staff at Club, however, is excellent. Perhaps you can request to use Club service, check in/out, issues/questions, without drink/food?

2 During periods of high demand access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge may not be available; therefore Diamond members will receive 2,500 bonus points per stay plus daily complimentary full breakfast inclusive of one entre (or standard breakfast buffet), juice and coffee (tax, gratuity and service charges included) for each registered guest in the room, maximum four (4) people.
http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/benefits/...ip_diamond.jsp

Last edited by TerryK; Dec 28, 2015 at 7:24 am
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, AA Platinum
We just checked in today as well, coincidentally also for 6 days. This is the first time ever I have not received access to a regency or grand club and honestly it's disappointing. We were also offer the free breakfast in La Cocina and 2500 points. I just checked hyatt.com and occupancy is available for all rooms tonight. So I am a bit confused. I wonder if this has more to do with booking using all points, since there is vacancy. Thoughts? Additionally, I saw someone ask in another post but was not answered, do diamonds receive free access to the spa?
Thought I would mention, I chose the fruit amenity at check in and received 2 apples and 2 pears, again disappointed. I was expecting something A little more.
Lastly, there is no couch in the room. Just a small dining bistro with 2 chairs.

Last edited by NewAgeTraveler; Dec 28, 2015 at 2:46 pm Reason: adding more info
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
I've got 3 rooms booked for President's Day weekend, and I sure hope we get access to the Club -- that's one of the main reasons I booked the hotel for a girls weekend! A free glass of wine or two is essential to a good girls weekend.

Anyone have an email address for the concierge? I tried [email protected] but got no response.

Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Any experiences with using a points upgrade for a suite? I currently have a Grand King booked and am wondering what type of suite they would give me.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Breakfast in the club is abolutely awful--so you are not missing anything.

But evening offerings are very good, and dessert choices excellent. If you could get evening club offering--that would be optimal.

Stop by the club and ask to talk to Armando--he helped us throughout our stay in mid-December--and is AWESOME!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert
Breakfast in the club is abolutely awful--so you are not missing anything.
Can Diamond members opt to take breakfast at the restaurant?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I have spoken with hotel management about the noise concerns from the beach club for an upcoming stay.

To reiterate what has been posted here:
  1. The beach club is owned by a separate party and the hotel has been attempting to moderate/tone down the noise. However they obviously cannot and don't have full contorl of the noise
  2. The rooms and suites on the North Side of the hotel are most imapcted by the dance club noise
  3. There are a few suites on the south-side, however being that they are all oceanfront they still have a moderate impact from the noise
  4. Only non-suites and those away from beach-views on the Southside are devoid of noise impact

Hopefully they can work with the 3rd party that owns the beach club to get this under control. What a difficult position to be in!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Breakfast in the club is actually very good in my opinion. Great breads , butter,toaster, coffee, expresso, egg dish ,smoked Salmon, goats cheese,3 fresh juices , great pastries , 3-4 fresh cut fruits( papaya , watermelon )fresh yogurts , cereals , and several sliced meats, ( no bacon). Evening treats are equally good and can save a family a lot of dinner expense.There was always many good desserts available. Cocktails were free along with wine, beer , and mixed drinks. Soft drinks , water beer,and espresso machine with cookies all day but beer must be consumed in the club.The Club personnel are some of the best.
The suite available for upgrade is the Grand Club suite and always request the south side to escape some of the day club noise, not all. The Executive suites in the corners are large and beautiful, but unless you are a known repeat Customer and Diamond it won't be available unless you pay an up charge ($300.00 night) and one is available.
I would always prefer Club access over restaurant breakfast and 2500 one time HGP points. I don't believe Diamonds can opt for restaurant breakfast. There are many good recent photos on Trip Advisor of the lounge breakfast.
The spa is first class, and has both hot / cold plunges, dry and wet Sauna and showers. The treatments we had were all excellent.
There have been seaweed problems , but on my last visit in January it was clear waters and clean beach. There are plenty of chase lounges at the infinity pool and beach
Attached Images  

Last edited by martinplas; Jan 11, 2016 at 9:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.