Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by sam_goh
I just really like the wall of windows in the corner room and the large bench seating area... don't think we looked at the TV once.
we never turned on the TV, it was an eyesore in the middle of the view
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The late afternoon drinks are for all hotel guests, not just elites.
I know, but selection is so limited and seating rather awkward that I didn't even bother after one try.... I just had a (payed for) drink at the bar.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:36 pm

Recently stayed here and noticed a construction site for a high rise building by Mori immediately across the street of Toranomon Hills (the building that houses the Andaz).

Does anyone know what building it is and how tall it will be? If it is going to be taller than Toranomon Hills, then there will be no views whatsoever on the Imperial Garden side in the future.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by mjm
... the tallest building until 2027 will open in 2023 in the Toranomon Azabudai area at 320m and 65 stores.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:18 pm

Wow, so a fourth of the hotel (and building) will go from a bird's eye view of Imperial Palace and Marunouchi to a view of.. an adjacent skyscraper, not to mention the construction noise (think GHHK).

At least it's not happening till at least 2022.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Don't get it. Only 5000 points more for amazing sundowner drinks at the PH Tokyo makes it almost a no brainer. Not to mention chances of upgrade to deluxe rooms quite reasonable. Only problem is when you're spending $25 a drink at the New York Bar.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Don't get it. Only 5000 points more for amazing sundowner drinks at the PH Tokyo makes it almost a no brainer. Not to mention chances of upgrade to deluxe rooms quite reasonable. Only problem is when you're spending $25 a drink at the New York Bar.
The view is better at Andaz, the breakfast is better at Andaz, the pool is better at Andaz, the standard room at Andaz is nicer than the deluxe room at PH. The twilight time at PH is ok, if you don't mind standing in line for lounge-level drinks and waiting 30 min for them to refill any food offerings.

As a Dia/Glob with a DSU/TSU we have always favored the PH, especially since we really, really like room service breakfast, and to dispute other posts, Andaz Tokyo does not offer RS breakfast as a standard Gob benefit, only as an exception for those departing early or with other special needs.

If a Glob but not using a TSU I would probably go with Andaz; if not a Glob I would definitely only go with Andaz.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Apr 22, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
We actually preferred a regular Tower View King (one without the sofa in front of the window). The position of the TV in the Large room to be incredibly irritating, the table was too large for the sofa, making it uncomfortable to eat at, and we liked the layout of the bathroom and closet in the regular room much better than that in the Large room.

It was nice to have been upgraded to the Large room once so that now we know that the regular View room actually meets our preferences better.
And the bigger rooms have the Argan stuff, which I prefer to the PH's Aesop. And the bottles are bigger. But watch out, the caps don't seal too well, and the stuff leaks if you use it as your travel shampoo.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
And the bigger rooms have the Argan stuff, which I prefer to the PH's Aesop. And the bottles are bigger. But watch out, the caps don't seal too well, and the stuff leaks if you use it as your travel shampoo.
Someone posted quite a while back that they request the argan toiletries when staying in a regular room.

I always found it a bit strange that the toiletries have the "ARGAN" in such a large font as if it was the brandname, when of course it is merely an ingredient, with the faux French brandname displayed in a tiny font. It's a bit like "Herbal" appearing to be the the brandname for herbal shampoo.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I always found it a bit strange that the toiletries have the "ARGAN" in such a large font as if it was the brandname, when of course it is merely an ingredient, with the faux French brandname displayed in a tiny font. It's a bit like "Herbal" appearing to be the the brandname for herbal shampoo.
It's not faux, it's from Cote Bastide, a cosmetics company in Aix-en-Provence. They have a store there, and maybe a couple other ones elsewhere.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:27 am

It's not faux, it's from Cote Bastide, a cosmetics company in Aix-en-Provence. They have a store there, and maybe a couple other ones elsewhere.
Sorry, then I stand corrected. I had the impression that it was a Japanese manufacturer using a French brandname, or producing it under license, having it produced in France or something like that...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, then I stand corrected. I had the impression that it was a Japanese manufacturer using a French brandname, or producing it under license, having it produced in France or something like that...
Just for context, Cote Bastide's other brands besides Argan are Lavande, Miel, Ambre, Neroli, and Figue...
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:05 am

Just for context, Cote Bastide's other brands besides Argan are Lavande, Miel, Ambre, Neroli, and Figue...
Ah, I see now. Thanks for the enlightenment. All of their brands are generic terms for ingredients - argan, lavender, honey, amber, neroli, and fig...

Some of them sound a lot more exotic in French, but argan oil shampoo is pretty well-known. And isn't this naming essentially the same as such labels as "Cucumber" and "Lemongrass" (or something like that) on the seemingly universally hated June Jacobs line? Making the names a scent rather than a brand? Certainly none of these Cote Bastide's brandnames can be registered trademarks...

You are of course totally correct re the poorly tightening caps.

Back maybe a bit more on topic. Those who like a really nice bath/shower area would love even the standard rooms here at the Andaz, especially vs the pitifully poor shower stall at the PH.

I know some do not care for the Andaz style, but for a non-Glob tourist staying on pts, I would absolutely recommend the Andaz over the PH (and would not even consider the GH even for a second).

Last edited by OsakaWino; Apr 23, 2017 at 10:18 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I know some do not care for the Andaz style, but for a non-Glob tourist staying on pts, I would absolutely recommend the Andaz over the PH (and would not even consider the GH even for a second).
I don't even consider this hotel an Andaz based on it's peers in the system, it's far above that and would easily be viewed as a Park Hyatt property if located elsewhere in the world.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
I don't even consider this hotel an Andaz based on it's peers in the system, it's far above that and would easily be viewed as a Park Hyatt property if located elsewhere in the world.
Not based on the service level I encountered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.