Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

How does Hyatt handle being walked?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:56 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Searched but did not see a thread on this. Does Hyatt have a policy on walking a guest, like Marriott? From reading their T&Cs, I don't think they do but would love to be corrected.

I have a stay at the HR Louisville coming up. The hotel was sold out but I got a guaranteed room and will be arriving around midnight, and in case I got walked I want to know what to expect (or not expect, however the case may be).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:19 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Chalky White
Searched but did not see a thread on this. Does Hyatt have a policy on walking a guest, like Marriott? From reading their T&Cs, I don't think they do but would love to be corrected.

I have a stay at the HR Louisville coming up. The hotel was sold out but I got a guaranteed room and will be arriving around midnight, and in case I got walked I want to know what to expect (or not expect, however the case may be).
I don't think there is a formal policy for walks except for the usual of accommodating you at a comparable property but it sounds like the city might be sold out.

I would try to do the web checkin early in the day in order to secure a room.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:58 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

If I did get walked, would I still get stay credit at Hyatt?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Chalky White

Is your primary motivation keeping the room? If so, I would suggest calling them that evening and confirming your late arrival. As always, get the name of the person you speak to.

If you want the benefits, if any, of being walked, then the later you show up the better. I've never been walked from a Hyatt, but I did have the experience of arriving in the wee hours and not getting points or night credits for the first night, as it was entered as a no-show even though I spent the evening, or what was left of it.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:21 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

To be honest, I don't care if they walk me, because the Marriott is one block away and is showing availability. But I'd like to be compensated in some way for being walked.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 4:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I rather doubt you will be walked if you booked the rate that is used for guaranteeing status members a room when none are available at the time of booking.

But I also don't think that Hyatt has a standardised published policy.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:31 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

You're probably right.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
I rather doubt you will be walked if you booked the rate that is used for guaranteeing status members a room when none are available at the time of booking.
Indeed. That rate is so absurdly expensive that any manager would much prefer to walk the no status family who booked six months ago for $149 a night on a AAA rate.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 12:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I was walked by a Hyatt hotel last week. I arrived at the hotel in the middle of the afternoon, quite close to the 3 PM check-in time. Although I had a printout of my reservation with me, the hotel did not have it in its system. I had a prepaid rate, which I booked a while before. At first, I was very, very upset. I was determined to not go anywhere, but that was no use. I was on vacation! This was the last thing I needed.

The reservations manager and I discussed other hotel options, and the Hyatt paid for my stay at a nearby hotel (non-Hyatt) of similar or better price and quality. My reservation was for a few days, so the stay at the other hotel was for only one night, for me to return to the Hyatt the next day.

While at the other hotel, I called Hyatt Platinum Customer Service (I'm a Chase CC Plat), told them my story about being walked. I asked what should I expect? The customer service agent told me that she would contact the Hyatt to find out what happened. She mentioned that there would likely be "compensation", but at no point did we discuss what that compensation would be. She then told me the hotel had a "maintenance emergency". Surely if this were the case, I would be more accepting of being walked because this would have been out of the hotel's control. Unfortunately, that was not the truth, as the hotel reservations manager later owned up to there being a mistake. I was more upset at Hyatt Customer Service for lying about the reason, than at the hotel. The other hotel treated me well. Sorry, I digress.

Anyway, back at the Hyatt after the first night away, I was upgraded to a better room. The manager and staff treated me very well after my check-in an earnest attempt to make my stay better. After my stay, the hotel compensated me by transferring Gold Passport points to my account, in the amount of 1 free night stay on point redemption for the hotel's Gold Passport category. Others may get more or less compensation, as this is probably arbitrary. I did not get stay credit for the night that I did not stay at the Hyatt. I *think* I may have received the points on my prepaid rate for the night away, but I would have to double check.

I left out the hotel name on purpose, because despite my anger at first, I was satisfied with the remediation efforts and compensation which followed. Yes, it is possible to get walked by Hyatt, and this is my recent experience. It better not happen again!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:11 am
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

The odd part is that the guarantee rate I booked wasn't completely out of line with what other hotels were charging. I booked a $299 rate and the Marriott next door is $269.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Those rates can sometimes be reasonable....Especially when there's peak demand and competing properties are also charging high rates.

And it can be a good feature to have if you need that room.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What is 'being walked?'
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
What is 'being walked?'
Should be self-explanatory in the context of posts upthread.

Hotel cannot accommodate guest despite confirmed reservation. Hotel then arranges accommodation for the guest at another hotel.

A hotel should never walk an "elite", VIP, or otherwise loyal guest. Guests booking directly at higher rates, and particularly guests booking suites or premium room categories ought never be walked.

If walked, it should be to a property of equal or higher quality. If the walk constitutes a downgrade, significant compensation should be provided. Contrary to what the word would suggest, a "walked" guest should be provided with transportation at the hotel's expense as appropriate.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 8, 2014 at 9:41 am
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Interesting, it's never happened to me. I was slightly confused as the title suggested that Hyatt was being walked.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:38 pm
Used to be hamajicky
Original Poster

Sorry for not using the Queen's English...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.