Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Gold Passport Endless Possibilities Promotion (1/15-4/30/14 reg opens 1/9/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Gold Passport Endless Possibilities Promotion (1/15-4/30/14 reg opens 1/9/14)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by nhwiki
Right. And then there are opportunity costs. Unless those 20 stays are to somewhere you would want to go, why would anyone do this? 20 nights of my life to stay near an out-of-the-way strip mall is not my idea of a life, as is getting to that strip mall on a Friday or Saturday night. If it's about "getting points" as opposed to getting a life, I kind of vote for a life. If we're down to calculating a cents/point and it's not all that obviously great, why bother? In the long run, these types of promos will neither help or hurt Hyatt or the rest of us, but certainly for the average person, or even someone contemplating a mattress run, not-so-much.

I can only stomach so many mornings watching folks fight over breakfasts at a Hyatt Place or House. I mean, I have a toaster and boxes of cereal at my house too, and better coffee . . . No reason to leave.
It is not in Hyatt's interest to reward mattress runners. This type of promotion only makes sense for those who have "real" stays planned during the promotion period in areas well covered by Hyatt. As such, it is a pretty nice bonus.

In most cases I would probably pay $100 or more to NOT have to drive to a Hyatt Place, etc. and check-in, so mattress running is totally out of the question for me, unless perhaps I needed some stays to hit Diamond. Even in that case I would seek out a desirable hotel/location to do extra stays.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Unless those 20 stays are to somewhere you would want to go.
Imagine that... People booking a hotel room because they actually need one.

This thread seems to imply that the only worthwile promo's are those that you can do matress runs for and still end up with a positive balance. But imagine that there are people who need/like to stay at hotels anyway and use such promo's to determine which hotel to stay at.... And then it's a promo that does have some attraction.

I do like getting some bonus points and getting closer to requialifying as well.... So if prices are anything in the competitions range I will surely choose Hyatt.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
Imagine that... People booking a hotel room because they actually need one.

This thread seems to imply that the only worthwile promo's are those that you can do matress runs for and still end up with a positive balance. But imagine that there are people who need/like to stay at hotels anyway and use such promo's to determine which hotel to stay at.... And then it's a promo that does have some attraction.
Exactly, and these are the guests Hyatt wants to attract.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Exactly, and these are the guests Hyatt wants to attract.
Yes - it's more of Hyatt playing defense against other programs' not-so-great promos, trying to be sure that Hyatt doesn't leak people who actually travel for a purpose. It's interesting to see in many forums here - not just Hyatt but hotels and airlines too - now that the "points game" is getting more nuanced and often difficult, there is are really different folks here on the boards - on the one hand you have typical business travelers who are attempting to get something for their time on the road, on the other hand you have hard-core mileage runners and points hounds who have other agendas, and on another hand (okay, so there are many hands) you have leisure folks who are stumbling around trying to figure it all out.

If things keep on going the way they have over the last few years, except for the credit card forums, the days of something for nothing are over and the mileage runners and points hounds will be out of luck and money.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
If things keep on going the way they have over the last few years, except for the credit card forums, the days of something for nothing are over and the mileage runners and points hounds will be out of luck and money.
I think those who bottom feeders will always be around. Its just that programs are enhanced, which means the bottom feeders won't get as much as they used to.. but inflation affects everyone.

Plus human nature, of finding the best deal if available, will result in most who travel with a budget to end up analyzing what is best. Loyalty programs will still need to do enough to keep the business in the fold. Competition shall keep the market in check.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I think those who bottom feeders will always be around. Its just that programs are enhanced, which means the bottom feeders won't get as much as they used to.. but inflation affects everyone.

Plus human nature, of finding the best deal if available, will result in most who travel with a budget to end up analyzing what is best. Loyalty programs will still need to do enough to keep the business in the fold. Competition shall keep the market in check.
I love the generalizations around here. Yeah...everyone who is disappointed by the promos or who wants or takes advantage of promos that generate good value for the CUSTOMER instead of just for Hyatt are bottom feeders, or low value clients, etc. I mean, I spent over $10000 of my OWN $ on Hyatt stays this year while re-earning my Diamond status(averaging $200 a night before taxes), but have also taken full advantage of FFN promos in years past and would certainly mattress run if/when it benefited me. Am I a low value client or a bottom feeder? I wager to say that while my spend level is not SUPER high, it is in the top 5-10%. It is not a binary game...you can be a 1 and a 0 at the same time. Such arrogance around here...many times by people on OPM, which is even worse.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by antonius66
I love the generalizations around here. Yeah...everyone who is disappointed by the promos or who wants or takes advantage of promos that generate good value for the CUSTOMER instead of just for Hyatt are bottom feeders, or low value clients, etc. I mean, I spent over $10000 of my OWN $ on Hyatt stays this year while re-earning my Diamond status(averaging $200 a night before taxes), but have also taken full advantage of FFN promos in years past and would certainly mattress run if/when it benefited me. Am I a low value client or a bottom feeder? I wager to say that while my spend level is not SUPER high, it is in the top 5-10%. It is not a binary game...you can be a 1 and a 0 at the same time. Such arrogance around here...many times by people on OPM, which is even worse.
While I'm sure you're excessively proud of your personal spend at Hyatt, I doubt they (or many on here) care much on how the bill at the end of the night gets settled... as long as the revenue gets booked.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:03 pm

Hey - I wear that bottom feeder status as a badge of honor. And I'm pretty sure that compared to the promos of yore, the last couple of years have been pretty weak. I tend to think that most folks, regular business travelers, mileage runners and most other flyertalkers are pretty disappointed with the general level of the promotions in Hyatt Land, but I also tend to think that the way things are shaking out that at least for Hyatt, mattress running for points with no other considerations is out.

That ever elusive value on the customer side of things is getting harder and harder to tease out - I see a lot of posts where long-time diamonds are really examining the costs of maintaining status versus the return they get for spending a lot of cash - I count myself among those, by the way - and trying to predict what promotions are coming so that you can figure that into the value conversation is tough. Does one plan a bunch of stays early in the year in the hopes of getting ahead on prequalifying, only to face a point devaluation and even worse promotions while also learning of targeted promotions to folks who aren't staying?

So. Meh. Decent promotion if you are already going to stay anyway. But no reason to move anything over to HGP.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern
While I'm sure you're excessively proud of your personal spend at Hyatt, I doubt they (or many on here) care much on how the bill at the end of the night gets settled... as long as the revenue gets booked.
You are both missing and making my point. First, I am not "proud" of my spend, I simply use it as a reference point to state that the prevailing idea that anyone who wants better promos, or takes full advantage of promos in years past to squeeze maximum value is a bottom feeder who generates no value to the company is wrong. There are tons of people who spend WAY more than me, but my point is that I think that is a decent amount that does not qualify as bottom feeding, yet I still care a great deal about promos and such. People seem to think that either you throw money at Hyatt without caring about promos or bonuses or you are basically trying to always steal a $700 room for nothing.

Second, Hyatt obviously does care about the bill if they care about the revenue getting booked. That is the whole point. If they did not care about how much you spend, they would never have gotten rid of promos like FFN that allowed low amounts of spend to get greater return. By restricting this promo to Cat 4 nights, they show they clearly care a great deal about how much a person spends, since they have made a great effort to not reward low level spend with high value rewards. If all they cared about was you booking a room, FFN would still be around, as it generates incremental amounts of revenue that they would otherwise not get and costs only rooms that would usually end up going empty anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
You are both missing and making my point. First, I am not "proud" of my spend, I simply use it as a reference point to state that the prevailing idea that anyone who wants better promos, or takes full advantage of promos in years past to squeeze maximum value is a bottom feeder who generates no value to the company is wrong. There are tons of people who spend WAY more than me, but my point is that I think that is a decent amount that does not qualify as bottom feeding, yet I still care a great deal about promos and such. People seem to think that either you throw money at Hyatt without caring about promos or bonuses or you are basically trying to always steal a $700 room for nothing.

Second, Hyatt obviously does care about the bill if they care about the revenue getting booked. That is the whole point. If they did not care about how much you spend, they would never have gotten rid of promos like FFN that allowed low amounts of spend to get greater return. By restricting this promo to Cat 4 nights, they show they clearly care a great deal about how much a person spends, since they have made a great effort to not reward low level spend with high value rewards. If all they cared about was you booking a room, FFN would still be around, as it generates incremental amounts of revenue that they would otherwise not get and costs only rooms that would usually end up going empty anyway.
When FFN was around, did you think Hyatt was surprised that people would pay for a couple of $70 rooms and then use the award for a $700 room? How dumb do you think they are? They designed the program and no one is "stealing" a $700 room that Hyatt made available to them.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

As others may have misunderstood your post, you've certainly misunderstood my post. I'm making a general comment about members who hop from one loyalty program to the next for free nights and benefits. It wasn't a post directed at you.

Anyways, we are all educated FTers and have meticulously calculated our involvement with Hyatt to remain loyal with the hotel chain. Problem in recent years are bottom feeders who take up our benefits, and claim it as a right.. As a result Diamonds do not receive the type of upgrades as they are used to. Talking with a few guests at Coconut point tonite, the Regency Lounges at Cypress and Coconut used to have more elaborate offerings. With inundation of free night benefits, the service has declined over the years. However, I'm finding the lounge last couple of nights to have impressive offerings which are meeting my family's needs.

Bottom feeding has affected all of us. Paid revenue in the other hand, should be rewarded. As such, the latest Hyatt changes are tough for the regular guests. In a weird way, the Diamond status just became more valuable with cash and points and the loss of points suite upgrade ( which I believe losing the points suite upgradeto be a mistake as it was a reward for paid revenue).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
As others may have misunderstood your post, you've certainly misunderstood my post. I'm making a general comment about members who hop from one loyalty program to the next for free nights and benefits. It wasn't a post directed at you.

Anyways, we are all educated FTers and have meticulously calculated our involvement with Hyatt to remain loyal with the hotel chain. Problem in recent years are bottom feeders who take up our benefits, and claim it as a right.. As a result Diamonds do not receive the type of upgrades as they are used to. Talking with a few guests at Coconut point tonite, the Regency Lounges at Cypress and Coconut used to have more elaborate offerings. With inundation of free night benefits, the service has declined over the years. However, I'm finding the lounge last couple of nights to have impressive offerings which are meeting my family's needs.

Bottom feeding has affected all of us. Paid revenue in the other hand, should be rewarded. As such, the latest Hyatt changes are tough for the regular guests. In a weird way, the Diamond status just became more valuable with cash and points and the loss of points suite upgrade ( which I believe losing the points suite upgradeto be a mistake as it was a reward for paid revenue).
A stay on points IS a paid stay. A stay on the annual Hyatt card award IS a paid stay. Any stay for which the customer has compensated Hyatt, dollars or otherwise, is a paid stay. Dollars are not the only way to pay for something.

For example, the following 3 scenarios are exactly the same:

1. Two nights at $100/night.

2. First night is $200. Second night is "free".

3. First night is $200 and comes with 12K bonus points. Second night is a 12K redemption.

You're not "bottom feeding" the second night because it's free or on points.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Now that all the late winter promos are out, none of the chains have anything particularly earthshattering for me.

1. Hyatt will be nice if I end up with 10 nights by April 30, but they don't reward stays the first two weeks of January. I can't use the Cat 4s by July 31, so I guess it's 15k to make up for the G2s that don't exist any more.
2. Marriott has decided that my time is up with the easy Megabonus options and has graduated me to 35k for 20 nights or 50k for 35 nights. I have an 11 night stay in February and it's still too difficult for me to bother going for the other 9 nights for just 35k.
3. IHG thinks a little better of me, 87k for 8 nights and $30 extra cash outlay, with a few twists which aren't hard to resolve
4. SPG will give me 2500 points every 5 nights. Yippie.
5. I have no idea what Hilton will give me but I'm busy burning my Hilton balance so I don't care.

So I'll split most of my non-conference work travel nights 10/8 between Hyatt and IHG depending on cost, and focus on burning points for leisure stays unless there's a Hyatt in the $65-$79/night range.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JackE
A stay on points IS a paid stay. A stay on the annual Hyatt card award IS a paid stay. Any stay for which the customer has compensated Hyatt, dollars or otherwise, is a paid stay. Dollars are not the only way to pay for something.

For example, the following 3 scenarios are exactly the same:

1. Two nights at $100/night.

2. First night is $200. Second night is "free".

3. First night is $200 and comes with 12K bonus points. Second night is a 12K redemption.

You're not "bottom feeding" the second night because it's free or on points.
Again a misunderstanding.. I'm talking about free nights here.. like the ones Chase gives out with the Hyatt card.. or free nights completely on points.

Sign up for Chase and Sapphire.. you've got about 6 free nights right there just for signing up on credit cards. Free nights on points are not revenue nights, so does not earn stay credit.. plus the points used at hotels, do not generate the internal offset that a revenue night does.

Plus what's worse, is the free suite nights. I think something had to give, and unfortunately, its the point suite upgrades that went south down to one night upgrade 6,000 points, which rewards paid stays, and results in stay credit. I'm surprised this went south and I think Hyatt made a mistake.. that awarded those for those who pay revenue for stays. The longer you stay, the less you pay.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
When FFN was around, did you think Hyatt was surprised that people would pay for a couple of $70 rooms and then use the award for a $700 room? How dumb do you think they are? They designed the program and no one is "stealing" a $700 room that Hyatt made available to them.
Actually, FFN and the other great promos had little to do with an individual property's revenue or Gold Passport even - it was mostly about bringing in more people to the brand so that Hyatt could go public. Pre-FFN and pre-Hyatt Place and Hyatt House, selling Hyatt (or taking it public) would not have made nearly as much money for the family, so giving away rooms, where there was little real cost anyway, seems to have driven a fair amount of folks to Hyatt, and made the numbers look pretty good for a sale of the private Hyatt holdings/company.

Now that someone else (shareholders) are minding the books, and all those "free nights" have to be accounted for a little differently and more publically, things are different, very very different. The value landscape for both the new Hyatt and the folks staying with them is different, and we won't be able to go back to Kansas (okay, Omaha) anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.