Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 15, 17, 5:45 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: switchyj
Wiki Link
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 27, 16, 12:37 am   #361

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgh10788 View Post
Just returned from a 3 night stay here. Here's my quick review:

We set up shared shuttle transportation via the hotel. The cost was $28 USD round trip per person which was comparable to what I found exploring transportation companies. I emailed "loscabosziva@hyatte-concierge.com" requesting transportation and they sent the forms to be completed.

I used a DSU and was upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite. I think the actual room name was "Hyatt Ziva Ocean View Two Bedroom Master Suite". When calling in to request the DSU, I was informed that I would be in a Ocean View King (one category upgrade). Not sure if the additional upgrade was because I used the DSU, diamond status, or for room availability reasons. There were two large groups staying at the hotel while we were there so that may have played into the upgrade.

Other diamond benefits included:
  • 20% off spa and romantic dinners
  • Access to club lounge with premium alcohol
  • Ability to make reservations at a la carte restaurants
  • Tequila and wine tastings

The weather was beautiful while we were there - mid 80s and sunny. The hotel was absolutely beautiful and immaculately maintained. Lounge chairs were plentiful - we never had any problems finding 2 together. Plenty of options in both the sun and shade. Waiters came around every so often to take drink orders. As others have mentioned, there are only two heated pools - the adults pool and the infinity pool by the beach with the swim up bar. While we were there, the infinity pool was more of the spring break scene while the adult pool was more laid back.

We ate at the Italian restaurant, the Japanese restaurant, and the French restaurant. All were great, but my favorite was the Japanese. The ability to make reservations was a life saver as people were being told 90 minute waits for restaurants one night (Saturday). Other days, there didn't appear to be much of a wait. Buffet was fine for breakfast and lunch. There was also a snack bar serving Mexican dishes and ceviche that was excellent.

We booked an excursion to go whale watching through the activities desk. Got to see a whale "twerking" (slapping tail) and had a wonderful time. Picked up and dropped off right at hotel.

Only problem was being double charged for the airport transfer which was a little bit difficult to catch due to the final invoice being in pesos after being quoted in USD. However, the issue was quickly resolved.

All-in-all had a wonderful time and would definitely return.
Seems like you were there the same days as us. That Garland Sales Conference took over most of the property.

Had issues w/ making reservations at two of the restaurants. Fortunately, neither of the restaurants were full. Also, a family member and I went to attend the tequila tasting at Cafe Agave (?) and they didn't seem to host it even though an employee confirmed it earlier in the day.
Jimgotkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:52 pm   #362

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
If the F&B improves over here, this place would be one of the best values at 25K per night.
It is only 20k a night. Rose Hall and Cancun are 25k
dprocuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 16, 11:50 am   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprocuk View Post
It is only 20k a night. Rose Hall and Cancun are 25k
Wow, I didn't know that until now. Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 16, 1:32 pm   #364

Programs: 16 million points to burn!
3 nights. This week. Place was great!
Preacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 16, 8:02 pm   #365

What is it like here for an adult or two adults without kids? Really don't like kids, and I know this is meant to be family friendly. But, there aren't nearly as many Zilaras as there are Zivas, and this would be a great location.
joetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 16, 8:28 pm   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetro View Post
What is it like here for an adult or two adults without kids? Really don't like kids, and I know this is meant to be family friendly. But, there aren't nearly as many Zilaras as there are Zivas, and this would be a great location.
Didn't really notice them around the property except at breakfast and dinner. They have a kids area too, so you don't see them at the main or adult pool.
Old Feb 15, 16, 1:18 am   #367

Programs: NW/DL Platinum 15 Years, Diamond 4 Years, DL Million Miler, Hyatt Diamond
Two stays in two months - mixed results being Diamond

We enjoyed both stays of 3 nights. We rented a car as the drive is very sensible between the airport and hotel. This gave us freedom to go somewhere exploring if we wanted but also cost less than using a taxi - even paying 3 days rental.

Now, for being Diamond. The first stay there was a large convention going on and presumably the lower level rooms were filled by those attending. We booked the least cost room and ended up being upgraded to a one bedroom with living and dining room. A very nice room on the top floor of building 3.

So for the second visit a month later (January), I booked the least cost room and confirmed a DSU. We were given a typical hotel room in building 3 on the 6th floor about half way back. When I went back to the GP check in room I was told that Diamonds are given the lowest upgraded room available. To which I responded that I expected my DSU to guarantee at least the lowest available suite category. All of their rooms are considered suites by them. To me a suite is at least a typical hotel room with an addition of living room often through a doorway that can be unlocked to create the suite.

I asked the question if I got anything for using a DSU and I was told NO. I would have received the same type of room with or without use of DSU. I then confirmed that I wasted the DSU and the agent said "Yes".

I figured I did everything right to get similar treatment the second time around - how many guests do they have coming twice in two consecutive months? I now consider this property a total crap shoot for room type you will be assigned regardless of the steps you take to be upgraded.

Any other questions please ask. I have left a detailed review of our first stay on TA (SEAPlatinum)
bsktpdlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 16, 3:58 pm   #368

We just got back from 4 nights

We just got back from 4 nights. My husband and I used our 2 free nights (each) from our Hyatt Signature Visa bonus. For that purpose, it was great! However, if I had paid the $420+ per night, I'm not sure I would have liked it very much. Overall, the resort is beautiful, the room was nice and we had a nice ocean view, the drinks are free flowing, service is great...but the food was disappointing. IF I was paying for a trip to Cabo, I would prefer to stay at a regular hotel and go out to dinner at a nice restaurant. But for using award nights, it's great!!!

In answer to the question about a couple without kids...that's us! There weren't many kids there and they didn't bother us for the most part, except at dinner one night at the steak house and they were loud there but that's really the adults' fault.

If you are considering going...I have a lengthy review of the resort and the food on my blog...
http://cheaptrickstotravel.com/hyatt...-free-flights/
Bohemiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 16, 12:14 pm   #369

Does anyone have any advice on how to up my chances for an oceanview room when paying with GP? I do not have status and the room booked is called 'Ziva Master Double'.

Thanks!
knowfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 16, 3:57 pm   #370

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowfear View Post
Does anyone have any advice on how to up my chances for an oceanview room when paying with GP? I do not have status and the room booked is called 'Ziva Master Double'.

Thanks!
I'm not sure how it works at an all-inclusive but here's the link to the upgrade information. http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/awards/hyatt_upgrade.jsp

Biggest thing to notice is that this - "When redeeming Regency ClubŪ or Grand ClubŪ upgrades or suite upgrades at a resort property, you must pay a minimum of the Standard Rate deluxe room (such as partial ocean view, ocean view, slope view, etc). At non-resort properties you must pay a minimum of the Standard Rate. "

However the easiest thing to do is just call. The reps can tell you if you can upgrade in no time.
cdancer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 16, 10:00 pm   #371

Hyatt has me so confused regarding this resort. I booked two nights in April in a pool view king. I figure I'm a Diamond and planning to apply a DSU so what does it matter. Just called Hyatt to modify the reservation and apply my DSU and...

First, I asked to pay for 1 night and use points for the other. The lady says they do not have my room type available for points so I will have to check into the pool view king my first night (paid) and then move to a standard room the second night (points). Oh, and the standard room is a double room. Okay--this is weird but I'll keep going.

Second, I ask about using my DSU and she responds that DSU's are not applicable to free rooms paid with points. I have never heard this policy before. So I then ask her to apply it to the paid night. According to her system, no suites are available when on the Hyatt.com website there is a Hyatt Ziva suite available. She says the DSU only applies to specific rooms on the property.

I have never had this much trouble at any domestic Hyatt resorts. Is this normal for the Ziva? Or was calling in the evening a bad idea? The lady did sound like my grandma and I got the impression that pushing buttons was not going to help my cause...
808lostin619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 16, 5:25 am   #372

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808lostin619 View Post
Hyatt has me so confused regarding this resort. I booked two nights in April in a pool view king. I figure I'm a Diamond and planning to apply a DSU so what does it matter. Just called Hyatt to modify the reservation and apply my DSU and...

First, I asked to pay for 1 night and use points for the other. The lady says they do not have my room type available for points so I will have to check into the pool view king my first night (paid) and then move to a standard room the second night (points). Oh, and the standard room is a double room. Okay--this is weird but I'll keep going.

Second, I ask about using my DSU and she responds that DSU's are not applicable to free rooms paid with points. I have never heard this policy before. So I then ask her to apply it to the paid night. According to her system, no suites are available when on the Hyatt.com website there is a Hyatt Ziva suite available. She says the DSU only applies to specific rooms on the property.

I have never had this much trouble at any domestic Hyatt resorts. Is this normal for the Ziva? Or was calling in the evening a bad idea? The lady did sound like my grandma and I got the impression that pushing buttons was not going to help my cause...
DSU can only be applied to a paid stay or P+C if available. See the post from bsktpdlr on this page about DSUs not gaining you anything at this property.
PortlySpartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 16, 8:05 am   #373

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808lostin619 View Post

Everything the rep told you is correct. 1 - As the last poster said, DSUs can only be used on paid stays or points + cash. No DSUs are full points or rooms booked by third parties. 2 - Each hotel has a specific room type that the DSU maps to. Sometimes they can make exceptions if that room type is unavailable. However that's up to the hotel and highly YMMV. Search this thread though to see what type of suite a DSU books into.
cdancer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 16, 1:13 pm   #374

Well...goodbye from me to this property. I was impacted by their late opening and they gave me a certificate to use for a free stay till Sep 2016. Unfortunately work schedules have stopped me from being able to use the cert and Hyatt refuses to extend the cert or give me points.
ZBigFam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 16, 8:25 pm   #375

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBigFam View Post
Well...goodbye from me to this property. I was impacted by their late opening and they gave me a certificate to use for a free stay till Sep 2016. Unfortunately work schedules have stopped me from being able to use the cert and Hyatt refuses to extend the cert or give me points.

You'll be missed....
creativeguess1 is offline   Reply With Quote