Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: switchyj
Few handy links:

E-concierge website (also includes spa, activities & add-ons prices).
https://loscabosziva.hyatte-concierge.com/

Playa resort website (often has different offers/promotions that are not mentioned on Hyatt website + more details about the hotel rooms, amenities & activities)
http://www.playaresorts.com/Hyatt-Ziva-Los-Cabos

Hotel official website
http://loscabos.ziva.hyatt.com/en/hotel/home.html

Facebook page (they post every other day on it)
https://www.facebook.com/HyattZivaLosCabos

Tripadvisor page
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152516-d469312
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos REVIEW-MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
So a few months ago I booked a reservation for brother in law and his friends and they just arrived at the hotel via the airport transfer but they did not have their reservation on file at check in lol...

They had the printout so they gave them the room, now we'll see if they end up charging them for the stay..
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38

$150 rt for private transportation (up to 7 pax)

Didn't inquire what kind of transportation for private as we booked the regular shuttle.
I too heard back from [email protected]

Private transfer vehicle is a Chevy Suburban. It is contracted with Transcabo.

If anyone else is wondering about car seats for family travel, they can be arranged for $10 USD.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:40 am

anybody stay yet since opening

Anxiously waiting for any reviews, comments since September 15. It's been too quiet....
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Anxiously waiting for any reviews, comments since September 15. It's been too quiet....
Just went this weekend. It was great, even though it rained all weekend. Room was well refreshed. The hotel was fully staffed, which meant overstaffed for the relatively low capacity. I think this gave me a skewed experience in that service was over the top amazing since the ratio of staff:guest was so high. They weren't 100% back (there was still some cosmetic construction going on out front, for example), but it wasn't really a problem for me. All of the restaurants were a go.

I know people complain about the lack of meaningful Diamond benefits here, and I have nothing to add. I didn't care because the rest of the experience was fine. I got the gold bracelet (which as many people here have wondered: does this actually get me premium alcohol on the resort? are the staff even paying attention?). I got to check in inside of a separate room. I got to make dinner reservations (unnecessary given the low number of guests). I got a room upgrade to an ocean view closer to the beach. The club access was fine, and they did have (free) premium liquor over what you'd find elsewhere (e.g., you could get Johnnie Walker black label in the club, but I didn't see it anywhere else). I got 20% off the spa, which did save me a lot of money. (Side note: for those that end up with rainy days, consider spa treatments. As expected, you will also get spa access for the rest of the day and you can enjoy the facilities there.)

Keep in mind, my viewpoint is that of someone who: had never been to this particular resort before and never been to any all-inclusive resort before.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by andysiz
Just went this weekend. It was great, even though it rained all weekend. Room was well refreshed. The hotel was fully staffed, which meant overstaffed for the relatively low capacity. I think this gave me a skewed experience in that service was over the top amazing since the ratio of staff:guest was so high. They weren't 100% back (there was still some cosmetic construction going on out front, for example), but it wasn't really a problem for me. All of the restaurants were a go.

I know people complain about the lack of meaningful Diamond benefits here, and I have nothing to add. I didn't care because the rest of the experience was fine. I got the gold bracelet (which as many people here have wondered: does this actually get me premium alcohol on the resort? are the staff even paying attention?). I got to check in inside of a separate room. I got to make dinner reservations (unnecessary given the low number of guests). I got a room upgrade to an ocean view closer to the beach. The club access was fine, and they did have (free) premium liquor over what you'd find elsewhere (e.g., you could get Johnnie Walker black label in the club, but I didn't see it anywhere else). I got 20% off the spa, which did save me a lot of money. (Side note: for those that end up with rainy days, consider spa treatments. As expected, you will also get spa access for the rest of the day and you can enjoy the facilities there.)

Keep in mind, my viewpoint is that of someone who: had never been to this particular resort before and never been to any all-inclusive resort before.
I was also there past weekend agree with your comments. Also feel the gold bracelet is useless and it doesn't feel comfortable waring it all the time. They have many different colors which I don't understand the point. Everyone is getting same food and drink. Didn't get any special treatment with gold bracelet. We asked front desk and was told club is the only place to get premium alcohol, the why bracelet, just lock club door like normal club. Used DSU, but only got club ocean view room on 5th floor, not real suite, and not even top floor and/or end unit given low capacity, very disappointed. Other than this, staffs were very nice and attentive, restaurants are pretty good too. Still in "getting ready" mode, trying hard to organize activities and shows, but feel lacking communication, can't find where the activity is holding, u won't know the restaurant menu unless u go there, etc. ( this is also my first all-inclusive)
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Recent Tripadvisor reviews are very positive. Looking forward to my visit next week.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
Most reviews I've seen are very positive for the Ziva Cabo, so I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to my thoughts on the property.

On the last night of our 3 night stay last week, there was a painfully loud reception party (until 11pm) at the adult pool which was directly across my room. I understand hotels/resorts need to cater to large parties because of the revenue, but it was very annoying to have music blaring in my room keeping my 2 year old up. If you're going to advertise yourself as a family friendly resort, live up to it.

As others have noted, the bracelets are useless, everyone gets the same food and drink. On our first day we were searching for Coco Loco for a late afternoon snack after checking-in. The first 4 staff members I asked were clueless as to where it was located. This leads me to believe the staff has not been fully trained, it'll probably take some time for everyone to get up to speed.

As for food, all the restaurants are operational right now, but there are some interesting policies to keep in mind. For example, at DoZo (Asian food), you can only order sushi if you're physically seated at the sushi bar. If seated at a regular table, you can only order off the regular dinner menu. The buffet is great for breakfast, pretty good for lunch, and very limited for dinner. Every time we tried the buffet, the food in the kids section was cold as if it had just been taken out of the fridge. We mentioned this to waiters on several occasions, but it didn't seem to matter. Our first night we tried the Italian place (Zaffiro), and our dinner took over an hour to come out. By the time the food arrived, my 2 year old had had enough of sitting, so we asked to take the food to go. We were denied, and this is common across the entire resort, there is no taking food to go from any restaurant (except for the Coco Loco).

Now, on to what I believe is by far the biggest drawback of this resort. The water at the hotel beach is un-swimmable. We thought this was specific to the days we were there, but the lifeguards told us the water is pretty much un-swimmable year-round. This was extremely disappointing, I'm not even sure I understand why you would build a resort on a beach where people are not allowed in the water.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 12:21 pm

beach conditions

just read the last posters comments... albeit they have very young children, so their requirements may differ from the general clientele.

how is the beach at Ziva? is it soft white sand? is it rocky and hard on the feet without water shoes? is there just a strong current constantly? know that at a lot of resorts they have signs warning of rough, unswimable conditions ( ie Marriott in Kauai) even when it's calm, just a cya.

what's the water situation, clarity (seaweed etc).... just trying to assess our choices for our family's holiday.... especially now that Ziva PV may not be a viable option.

TIA
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:44 pm

just read the last posters comments... albeit they have very young children, so their requirements may differ from the general clientele.

how is the beach at Ziva? is it soft white sand? is it rocky and hard on the feet without water shoes? is there just a strong current constantly? know that at a lot of resorts they have signs warning of rough, unswimable conditions ( ie Marriott in Kauai) even when it's calm, just a cya.

what's the water situation, clarity (seaweed etc).... just trying to assess our choices for our family's holiday.... especially now that Ziva PV may not be a viable option.

TIA
In talking to other friends that have visited the beach is completely unswimmable. It's more of a decoration. There is apparently such a strong riptide that it will claim even the hardiest of swimmers. Swim at your own peril my friend, I wouldn't advise it. I am reconsidering my stay as I am not sure how fun it will be for the kids if we are simply staying at an all-inclusive and watching the water.

Last edited by ZBigFam; Oct 24, 2015 at 10:45 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver

TIA
As I mentioned in my review, the water is un-swimmable. During our stay, there were lifeguards on the beach who would get people to move back if they even came close to the water.

We rented a car, so we drove to other calmer, swimmable beaches (e.g., Playa de Chileno), but this really defeats the purpose of an all-inclusive.

The sand is not soft and white, but you can definitely walk on it without shoes (but it is a bit hard). My recommendation is to find another destination. Afterall, what's the point of going to a beach resort if you can't even go in the water??
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aba030
....Afterall, what's the point of going to a beach resort if you can't even go in the water??
It is not just Ziva, many beaches in Cabos are not swimmable.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Los.Cabos.html
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Can anyone comment on the liquor selection? Is it Jim beam, Jack Daniels, absolut or kettle one etc?
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lancer99
Can anyone comment on the liquor selection? Is it Jim beam, Jack Daniels, absolut or kettle one etc?
Jack Daniels, Absolut, Bacardi Rum, Johnnie Walker Red Label...

If you have access to the premium lounge, you will be able to get higher end labels (Gentleman Jack, Ketel One, Johnnie Walker Black Label...).

Be sure to request a specific brand, otherwise for mixed drinks they will default to the no name brand.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by aba030
Jack Daniels, Absolut, Bacardi Rum, Johnnie Walker Red Label...

If you have access to the premium lounge, you will be able to get higher end labels (Gentleman Jack, Ketel One, Johnnie Walker Black Label...).

Be sure to request a specific brand, otherwise for mixed drinks they will default to the no name brand.
Thank you!

Decent brands, let's hope they have a decent pour
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Originally Posted by Lancer99
Thank you!

Decent brands, let's hope they have a decent pour

If the pour is not decent, just order another... It's all inclusive ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.