Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by jpdx
but quite frankly, I didn’t feel the food was spectacular, and the experience was chaotic. It may be due to my failing eyesight, but it took me a few days to figure out who the staff are. What about giving them some uniforms or some identifying feature that keeps me from hitting up other guests for orange juice? How about letting me pour my own juice, or at least telling me which side of the counter I’m supposed to stand on? Considering the hype the breakfast has been getting on this thread, I found it to be a letdown. There was very limited variation; the hot dishes were the same every day, fried rice, pork puff pastry, doughnuts, Hawaiian toast, sausage, bacon, potatoes, poached eggs. Of course there’s the egg station, but in spite of what some others reported, these guys don’t work miracles. I freely admit that I’m not an American breakfast person, so maybe I just don’t get it … sure, it’s better than what most club lounges offer, but it’s nowhere near the top-10, must experience breakfasts it’s been hyped up to be.

I can't agree (except that the food quality wasn't say "triple" what a $15 breakfast might get me). To comment on your selection/variety comment, like I have posted or other have:

They will custom-make anything you want, even if it's not out there. If one doesn't like American breakfast (I hate it!), they will give you a rice bowl and some maguro-don. I've never seen smoked wahoo at any breakfast - it was great here. They will cut any fruit in stock upon request to make your own fruit plate, your choices. Don't like pork or meat in your dim sum, they will make it your style on demand. I even think they would have made a hamburger for one if one wanted it (I wouldn't know, I haven't eaten a cow hamburger in like 25 years).

They made me a smoothie that more closely replicated what I use at home than any place I have every been to, in the world. Acai w/ kale and flax seeds and my choice of 3-4 fruits and my choice of juice to use, and give me the extra in a side carafe. I'm impressed!

The coffee is the best I've ever had in any restaurant (other than one with a roaster in the corner) - 100% Maui local roasted beans, hand poured/filtered (the only complaint would be it's ground hours before use, and it's roasted greater than a week prior.

True, this is nothing like the Swan Court (HR Maui) which is visual and has tons of variety out there for the masses and is just a "huge event" (and impressive in its own way IMO)... and I'd agree it's not worth $45 for my tastes, but for as free for a Diamond (when they could just add a continental option on the menu and tell Diamonds to "up-pay" for more) I was very happy.

As for the pool and lunch and dinner options/menu/quality, I can't say, I was off property for lunch and dinner all of my close to two weeks.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by m0hamed
If you complain about that kind of food or service than I dare say you might be happier at a McDonald's...
I read your report and think you were there at a time when the hotel was at low occupancy. We stayed during Thanksgiving, when they were at their highest occupancy yet. And it clearly was a different experience.

We didn't have any of the "they make whatever you want" luxury you describe. We didn't ask for anything fancy, but my travel companion is a vegetarian, and the menu options were very limited. At breakfast, they did make vegetarian omelets on demand, but they used the same pan that had been used for a meat omelet just prior. Tongs were shared between the sausage dish and the "vegetarian" dish, and when we pointed this out to the staff as a problem, they didn't get it. At the pool, the selection of vegetarian dishes is sparse (specifically: a vegetable plate), and there was nobody who "went out of their way" to offer anything else. In fact, having in mind your post, we asked for vegetarian alternatives, and got a blank stare. We ordered guacamole and chips one night, which took three attempts to get right (i.e., without the octopus that normally makes up the main portion of the dish that has guacamole on the side). One day, my companion resorted to ordering the grilled cheese from the kid's menu, and it was likely the worst grilled cheese ever, burnt and with a bitter cheese (and impossible to have pickles on the side, even though admittedly the bar guy tried hard to make it happen). We did have food from the lobby place twice; the vegetarian sandwich was unbearably dry, and the pulled pork one suffered from kimchee overload. The flatbreads were tasty, although they, too required a re-make because the "no cheese, extra sauce" request tripped them up.

I don't think there's a need for name-calling and angry disagreements over this. As you alluded to with your McDonald's reference, it's entirely possible that you're a superior being who can see what we're ignorant to; another explanation, however, is that we simply had a different experience from yours. As I said in my report, there are a lot of positives with this hotel, but the food, in our experience, is not.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
I read your report and think you were there at a time when the hotel was at low occupancy. We stayed during Thanksgiving, when they were at their highest occupancy yet. And it clearly was a different experience.

We didn't have any of the "they make whatever you want" luxury you describe. We didn't ask for anything fancy, but my travel companion is a vegetarian, and the menu options were very limited. At breakfast, they did make vegetarian omelets on demand, but they used the same pan that had been used for a meat omelet just prior. Tongs were shared between the sausage dish and the "vegetarian" dish, and when we pointed this out to the staff as a problem, they didn't get it. At the pool, the selection of vegetarian dishes is sparse (specifically: a vegetable plate), and there was nobody who "went out of their way" to offer anything else. In fact, having in mind your post, we asked for vegetarian alternatives, and got a blank stare. We ordered guacamole and chips one night, which took three attempts to get right (i.e., without the octopus that normally makes up the main portion of the dish that has guacamole on the side). One day, my companion resorted to ordering the grilled cheese from the kid's menu, and it was likely the worst grilled cheese ever, burnt and with a bitter cheese (and impossible to have pickles on the side, even though admittedly the bar guy tried hard to make it happen). We did have food from the lobby place twice; the vegetarian sandwich was unbearably dry, and the pulled pork one suffered from kimchee overload. The flatbreads were tasty, although they, too required a re-make because the "no cheese, extra sauce" request tripped them up.

I don't think there's a need for name-calling and angry disagreements over this. As you alluded to with your McDonald's reference, it's entirely possible that you're a superior being who can see what we're ignorant to; another explanation, however, is that we simply had a different experience from yours. As I said in my report, there are a lot of positives with this hotel, but the food, in our experience, is not.
We were there over Thanksgiving and experienced a very pleasant and unique breakfast each morning. We ate early every morning outside and I found it unique that each morning we had a different server even though previous servers were working. I am not sure if this was on purpose or not but it was great to have engaging servers who were happy and showed that they love what they do.

Luckily, our first server took us on a tour and showed us the entire layout, that we could order a small portion in addition to the experience and even request anything from the chefs. We even had a tour of the kitchen to see how they prepare their bacon cured in salt and sugar.

I did see that later morning hours were busier and glad we went early, maybe that played a part in the experience.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:53 am

I was also there during Thanksgiving. I agree with some of your points, but not all. I will agree that after eating the same breakfast for several days in a row, it does get somewhat boring. They do change out some of the dishes daily, but for the most part, the food does not vary. I did my research in advance and knew that we could make special requests or order off the menu, so this helped a bit.

As far as the service goes, it varied between servers. Most servers never mentioned that we could order off the menu. Some servers offered to have eggs prepared for us, while others didn't. None of them offered to take special requests, but would certainly accommodate us if we asked.

On our 2nd to last day there, our server informed us that we could order unlimited mimosas, bloody Mary's, and even screwdrivers or greyhounds with our breakfast for only $15 more a person. I wish we had known about that earlier, because that is an incredible deal given that 1 drink at the pool bar costs $16. They even made us one in a to-go cup to take to the pool with us. Since we are Diamond, the additional charge never even showed on our bill.

Speaking of the bill, the tip we left never showed up either, so we really felt like we robbed the place. We easily saved $200 a day with the free breakfast perk.

Overall, with the cost-savings factored in and the knowledge that alcohol is also included free for Diamonds, it really can't be beat. Yes, the selection does get somewhat tiring after a few days, but that would happen anywhere. The food was always delicious, fresh, and high quality. The servers were always extremely friendly, even if inconsistent at times. Take our tips with you and you will be well prepared.

Last edited by salvag; Dec 7, 2013 at 8:11 am
Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by blackpaper
Besides a crazy 12am domestic dispute on the 6th floor, I never heard people in the hallways. The room door is quite loud when it slams shut. You might hear that noise occasionally.

I was there that night too!
The lady was staying right across from our room and the guy was staying next door. Crazy night!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Can anyone compare this to the Fairmont Maui? I'm looking to help a friend make a booking who will be traveling with a 10 year old girl while the dad wants it to be nice too. Andaz looks sharp and sophisticated but maybe a little too cool for a 10 year old, while the Fairmont seems warmer. Any opinions?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Easy. The Fairmont has a kid's club. Drop the kid off and enjoy.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by turtleisland
Can anyone compare this to the Fairmont Maui? I'm looking to help a friend make a booking who will be traveling with a 10 year old girl while the dad wants it to be nice too. Andaz looks sharp and sophisticated but maybe a little too cool for a 10 year old, while the Fairmont seems warmer. Any opinions?
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
I've frequented the Fairmont Kea Lani Maui for the last ten years. It is a nice property and nice for the kids. The halls and common areas seem a bit worn, but the suites are spacious and great for families.

I just booked my first reservation at Andaz Maui though yesterday. So I'll be switching it up for the sake of trying something new.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks. Fairmont it is
Old Dec 9, 2013, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
According to Mommy Points, the Andaz has a kids club, and its free, vs $65+/day at the Kea Lani.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 1:11 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
According to Mommy Points, the Andaz has a kids club, and its free, vs $65+/day at the Kea Lani.
Kid's club is also free at FS Maui if that's an option.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by salvag
I was also there during Thanksgiving. I agree with some of your points, but not all. I will agree that after eating the same breakfast for several days in a row, it does get somewhat boring. They do change out some of the dishes daily, but for the most part, the food does not vary. I did my research in advance and knew that we could make special requests or order off the menu, so this helped a bit.

As far as the service goes, it varied between servers. Most servers never mentioned that we could order off the menu. Some servers offered to have eggs prepared for us, while others didn't. None of them offered to take special requests, but would certainly accommodate us if we asked.

On our 2nd to last day there, our server informed us that we could order unlimited mimosas, bloody Mary's, and even screwdrivers or greyhounds with our breakfast for only $15 more a person. I wish we had known about that earlier, because that is an incredible deal given that 1 drink at the pool bar costs $16. They even made us one in a to-go cup to take to the pool with us. Since we are Diamond, the additional charge never even showed on our bill.

Speaking of the bill, the tip we left never showed up either, so we really felt like we robbed the place. We easily saved $200 a day with the free breakfast perk.

Overall, with the cost-savings factored in and the knowledge that alcohol is also included free for Diamonds, it really can't be beat. Yes, the selection does get somewhat tiring after a few days, but that would happen anywhere. The food was always delicious, fresh, and high quality. The servers were always extremely friendly, even if inconsistent at times. Take our tips with you and you will be well prepared.
is the alcohol really free for diamonds or was this just a mistake for u on their part?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin
is the alcohol really free for diamonds or was this just a mistake for u on their part?
From what I can tell, if you are Diamond they just go through and delete any bills from Ka'ana Kitchen that occur during breakfast. Since food, alcohol, and tips are all on the same bill, they all get taken off.

They might decide to fix this at some point, but it works currently.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Having no finished my Hawaii trip, I can now say that I miss the Andaz. After my 3 night stay there, we moved to Kaanapali to the Westin Resort & Spa. After a night there, we had 4 nights at the Sheraton Waikiki. At the end of the day, the Andaz was by far the best hotel we stayed at.

Once we moved rooms, I was in total heaven. What I appreciate at the Andaz is the lack of kids and noise. It really is a peaceful place and great for couples. I ran down the beachfront and passed a few of the hotels and could immediately tell that those hotels had far more noise and seemed frantic compared to the tranquility of the Andaz. Until I know otherwise, any trip to Maui will involve staying at the Andaz. I'll just make sure i have a perfect room when I check in.

Oh yeah, and I didn't mind the $30 valet since all other hotels seem to charge a resort fee (and Andaz doesn't). I never called down for my car, just showed them my tag when I got there and the car was there in less than 2 minutes. Even when left the hotel at 3:45am for Haleakala there was somebody there. No issue with valet or that I have to pay.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tjbrooks
Awesome.. this is a great feature. Aulani also has Aunty's Beach House, a kid day camp service we found very useful. Glad to hear that Andaz is offering this service no charge. I think there was a charge a GHK.

Any time limits on how long the kids can be at Andaz Club?

Both Hawaii Fairmonts have kids clubs, but its a paid service and fees range from half day to full day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.