Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Slippers? I love slippers! None in our suite.
Originally Posted by qmiles321
Apparently they were supposed to give you one at check-in or when the bellman assists you with the luggage.

I usually don't use bell service (since I don't want to tip unnecessarily ) but was kinda forced to use the service but no slippers.
Go to O'hana lounge on first floor and get some from lockers. Note that there are two sizes.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by qmiles321
Just came back last night from a four night stay.

Was upgraded to Andaz Suite (Room 618) using diamond certificate.
I think our room was on the higher floor because the suite upgrade was confirmed in September. Also, because they messed up on my request of the Andaz Pool Suite.
Although it was confirmed with the hotel and they knew we had a five year old, they failed to mention that I could not get the Pool Suite since it's connected to an Adults only pool.

Did your five year old woke up crying around 5:00AM one morning?
It's nothing personal. Just asking.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, A3*G, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveller
Originally Posted by suite2suite
Did your five year old woke up crying around 5:00AM one morning?
It's nothing personal. Just asking.
No lol, but it sucks that I couldn't deliver on something that I told him about, especially since I hyped it up for him.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:35 pm

FYI http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/02/us/haw...html?hpt=hp_t2
Old Dec 3, 2013, 4:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Is it possible to pay for upgrade? I'm just a Platinum and would love to stay at an ocean view room instead of the basic garden view room when using the points. If it is possible, does anyone know what's the upgrade price like?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by thebluejean
Is it possible to pay for upgrade? I'm just a Platinum and would love to stay at an ocean view room instead of the basic garden view room when using the points. If it is possible, does anyone know what's the upgrade price like?
You could try contacting the hotel first? Never hurts to ask.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
If you call, let us know what they say.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: A bunch
Im leaving maui tonight. Stayed 5 nights at andaz. Will have a full review in a few days. I will say the there were 2 shark attacks in the week i was here. The first one was down from the Andaz beach when i saw the cops telling beach staff to close the beach and get everyone out the water the bit happened 100 yrds away from where i was sitting. A girl was bit on the ankle and was treated. Then yesterday-Monday i was snorkeling molokini and very close to little beach to see the turtles and just as a few people jumped in i heard the coast gaurd on the radio "confirmed fatal shark attack"! Everyone got back on the boat and we did some whale watching instead. Very spooky! Andaz was great over all.

Last edited by pointspinnacle; Dec 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:44 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Except sharks don't 'attack' http://youtu.be/Vcmy2Bd23wE
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Except sharks don't 'attack' http://youtu.be/Vcmy2Bd23wE
That video's first point is 100% right on.

Sharks don't "attack", they bite. Most sharks (excepting of course the Great White and the Tiger, just to name two) after biting have no interest in continuing with the victim. Yes, the bite can be fatal, but sharks don't eat people, they typically take a mistaken bite (or maybe two).

I don't exactly understand the Rogue Shark concept or the discussion of people's opinions/feelings.

All that said, I find it interesting that there have been approximately double the normal number of shark bites in the Wailea-Makena reef area this year versus the past 10-15 years (I forget the exact sample size of annual tracking). I don't know if this double from one or two or three to 2-5 in this year is statistically significant (I might guess it's not).

We could have many more shark bite instances in the coming months, and it won't change the odds that if one:

- does not swim in murky conditions following rain runoff days
- does not "chum the water" (open wounds or close-by catch bag)
- avoids early dawn and late dusk time
- doesn't try to look like shark prey (e.g. on surface, limbs dangling over a board, dressed in wet suit)

then one's odds of being bitten by a shark (as measured by one person swimmer instance against the tens or hundreds of thousands swimmer instances in that area in that day) are round off zero, similar to dying in a U.S. commercial airline accident, or winning a lottery.

Being afraid of sharks is like being afraid of cats - there's only a handful of cats that will harm you (tiger, lion, panther...), almost all of those reside in a far away place (Africa), and the ones that might be near you want nothing to do with you (U.S. mountain lion for example). The Great White shark resides in cold waters (for the most part - it's super rare in Hawaii although it is seen rarely) where you're not swimming (unless you're a surfer), and the Tiger or other warm water sharks are indeed right near the beaches, but they typically want nothing to do with people (especially the reef, white-tip, black-tip, hammerhead).

All that said, sure, lots of people are afraid of sharks, afraid of flying, and the lottery is a money making "business".
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
A local cop told me he is no longer going for his daily ocean swim in makena. He said it is best to be under water and not at surface level.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
A local cop told me he is no longer going for his daily ocean swim in makena. He said it is best to be under water and not at surface level.
Regarding sharks, it's always best to be underwater versus on the surface, but only relatively. (one has better odds of winning the lottery by purchasing five tickets instead of one, even if both round to zero).

I recognize this is a thread about the property, but as the property sits on one of Maui's most famous reefs for snorkeling and diving, and many travel to the property for such activity, I think it's relevant to counter the opinion that swimming on this reef and beach is dangerous due to sharks.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by booyaa
It would be excellent if Hyatt was able to recognize the use of Suite Upgrades on reservations in the system, and offer eUpgrade options based off the guaranteed suite designation already booked. Thus offering higher suite categories at check-in for a nominal fee, and consistently at Hyatt properties across the board.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:45 am

Had an amazing stay here over Thanksgiving -- I enjoyed myself so much that I will be returning in February.

However, I won't be drinking any of their drinks or buying any of their food. Pricing misaligned with actual reality combined with the valet parking fee effectively incentivizes me to go off property for my food and I intend to. While I was fine trying everything out once, my subsequent stays will not have any food or beverage purchases.

I feel like they are losing out on future business by keeping their margin on food and beverage so high.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, you can pay to upgrade to a better room but...

Originally Posted by LivelyFL
If you call, let us know what they say.
Originally Posted by booyaa
This is the response I got from the reservation desk.

"When redeeming Gold Passport points to stay free, it is only based on our Garden View rooms. If you’d like to upgrade to a better view, but still in a standard room, the upgrade charge would be an additional upcharge of $75 per night for a Partial Ocean View or $150 per night for a Full Ocean View. The upgrade is based on availability upon arrival."

I already reply to ask if it is possible to guarantee the room types before arrival. We don't want to travel all the way to property and being told all rooms are sold out beside the garden view room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.