Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 4:46 pm

Just got back from an amazing 4 night stay! Here's my review with TONS of pictures: http://boardingarea.com/justanotherp...aui-at-wailea/
Old Nov 25, 2013, 10:31 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Here now, and really loving it. Amazing property, incredible views and great staff.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 2:48 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Aside from Costco, any suggestions on where to buy bottles of wine locally near the Andaz? Wife likes wine, but I don't like resort prices.

Also, anyone try out any excursions that are worthwhile? Like the Discover Molokini?

Thanks!

Wailea wine has a good selection its in the Wailea town center. Tamura on Dairy Rd by the airport has a great selection with prices slightly higher than Costco
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Choice Elite Platinum
Originally Posted by aaucello
Just got back from an amazing 4 night stay! Here's my review with TONS of pictures: http://boardingarea.com/justanotherp...aui-at-wailea/
Loved your report!
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Great report and thanks for pics of the gym ! That is where I will be in the wee early hours.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: AA (EXP), HH (Diamond), SPG (Platinum), HGP (Diamond), National Car (Exec Elite)
Great report!!! Heading there on Sat.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Also, anyone try out any excursions that are worthwhile? Like the Discover Molokini?
The problem with Molokini is you never know if it is a good day or a bad day for fish till you get there, and you need to be reasonably experienced snorkeling (unless you are just going for the boat ride, which might have been what most of the people on our boat were there for--oh, maybe it was to drink all the free beer on the boat). Don't count on the boat having good snorkel equipment or flotation aids.

(I presume, but have not checked, there are online boat service reviews somewhere).

If you just want to snorkel South Maui is almost a can't miss. By a guide book and pick a reef based on difficulty level. Try a different one tomorrow.

If you want to take a boat ride and snorkel, I recommend the day boat to Lanai. State park literally around the corner from the boat landing. Left side of beach.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US Airways, Delta, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott
Maui Downhill

Originally Posted by fishy21
Thanks for the reply. What tour company did you use? The one I'm looking at is self guided. Haleakala Bike Company.
The tour company is actually called "Maui Downhill". I really did prefer the guided tour since I could ride on the road most of the time, and they would let us know when we needed to pull over to the bike lane (which is super narrow in some places). Felt safe so I could enjoy the ride.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:27 pm

Anyone know the policy for additional people in the room? I can't find it on the site, is it complementary roll away beds?
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:56 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Just got back from 4-day stay using WAILEA code. Very pleasant stay and will post more later.

In the meantime, for those who have stayed there already, anyone had trouble figuring out how they came up with the "Eligible Spend" number on folio for points accrual? Did parking, dining at Bumbye and Lehua all suppose to count? My numbers don't add up.

Also, when requesting GP Concierge to adjust eligible nights from 2 to 4 from using WAILEA code, all 4 nights should then be eligible for promotions such as Discover New Possibilities and Diamond Trial bonuses?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:39 pm

crossing fingers there will be cash and points availability on 1/7. trying to stay here for a wedding that's at the property next door in march!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by booyaa
Just got back from 4-day stay using WAILEA code. Very pleasant stay and will post more later.

In the meantime, for those who have stayed there already, anyone had trouble figuring out how they came up with the "Eligible Spend" number on folio for points accrual? Did parking, dining at Bumbye and Lehua all suppose to count? My numbers don't add up.

Also, when requesting GP Concierge to adjust eligible nights from 2 to 4 from using WAILEA code, all 4 nights should then be eligible for promotions such as Discover New Possibilities and Diamond Trial bonuses?

Thanks.
I also had a problem figuring out the breakdown of the spend... spent like $1900 at resort and only had $52 of eligible spend... doesn't make much sense to me either
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by scjmc
Just completed a 4 night stay using the Wailea offer, as part of my honeymoon. Used Diamond Cert to Upgrade to Partial Ocean View Suite.

In a nutshell it's been a great experience but the Hotel still has lots of room for improvement.

Good:

- Breakfast at Ka'ana Kitchen was great. Very attentive service and they were happy to fulfill special requests. Lunch at Bumbye Beach Bar was nice as well, go for the Lobster Sandwich or the Poke Bowl.

- Overall the resort didn't feel crowded at all, everybody was very friendly, although some staff tried a little too hard to make conversation.

- Room itself was very nice and modern, except for the awful balcony furniture. Didn't think the couch was that bad, but then again didn't spend a lot of time sitting on it.

Not so good:

- Room wasn't ready until 4:30pm.

- When they say partial ocean view, they mean partial. At best. We were given a Suite on the lowest floor.

It was facing a walkway and had a villa or maintenance building blocking the ocean view. You could only see the ocean if you leaned on the edge of the patio. Also zero privacy as people can see right into the bedroom / living room when walking by. We asked to move to a higher floor and that request was granted. Were given another partial ocean view suite on the 5th floor. Now we were looking mainly at the unfinished villas (i.e. construction site), but the ocean was partly visible from both the bedroom and the living room. However, the room was missing the ipad, and bathrobes and slippers. Everything was promptly provided upon request though.

- Upon check-in we were offered to make an appointment for a complimentary 30 - 45 min photo shoot. The front desk agent made it sound like you also get to take the pictures home free of charge. Sounded too good to be true and it was. Turned out the shoot was indeed complimentary, however after a 30 min sales presentation of the pictures they took, you can only take 1 picture (not just any, but one of their choice facing the resort) free of charge, for every other picture its $49 or you buy a package, $600 and up. Since we had arranged for our own photo shoot a couple days earlier it was a waste of our time, however if we hadn't we might have ended up buying the set.

- Upon check-in, I selected a fruit platter and a bottle of red wine as Diamond Amenity, to be delivered on the same day at 6PM. Never came. Had to inquire the next day, then it was delivered as promised. But with a bottle of white wine instead of red wine. Ah well, drank it anyway.

- Even though the front desk agent acknowledged the fact that is was our honeymoon, the hotel did nothing special. The agent informed us because it was our honeymoon we were upgraded to a partial ocean view suite, but then again I already knew that since I used the Diamond cert to upgrade to that category.
We were given this same exact room initially, what a disappointment. Be careful on the usage of your Diamond suite upgrades. However, all is good now at the very quiet far north side.

Shark bite closed the beach today at around 2pm, pretty common lately evidently.

Last edited by peteropny; Nov 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm Reason: Remove quoted pic
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:56 am

The beach was closed again today. If you plan to snorkel, beware of tiger sharks biting. One fatal, A 20 year old German girl back in August. Supposedly, they are trying to track their location http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4285213.html
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
The beach was closed again today. If you plan to snorkel, beware of tiger sharks biting. One fatal, A 20 year old German girl back in August. Supposedly, they are trying to track their location http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4285213.html
We checked in at the Kea Lani prior to Andaz opening the week after the incident. Hawaii may be beautiful, but there certainly are dangers. Can't take safety for granted. I would stay near shore, of if snorkeling, I would stay near others and the boat..

Couple more articles..

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/german-w...maui-1.1421361

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/22...-arm-to-shark/

Big Island attack soon after this incident as well..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...fer-arm-bitten

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.