Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Aside from Costco, any suggestions on where to buy bottles of wine locally near the Andaz? Wife likes wine, but I don't like resort prices.

Also, anyone try out any excursions that are worthwhile? Like the Discover Molokini?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
There is a liquor store in Kihei, close to the southern part of town, next to the Da Kitchen and around the corner from the Thai Bistro... in maybe the Dolphin Mall.

And, in Hawaii the grocery stores sell liquor (as do some drug stores), although Safeway on Pilani Hwy and Foodland and Times Mkt in the more northern end of Kihei are not very close to Andaz.

But, one can't beat the selection and price at Costco.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by canyonleo
There is a liquor store in Kihei, close to the southern part of town, next to the Da Kitchen and around the corner from the Thai Bistro... in maybe the Dolphin Mall.

And, in Hawaii the grocery stores sell liquor (as do some drug stores), although Safeway on Pilani Hwy and Foodland and Times Mkt in the more northern end of Kihei are not very close to Andaz.

But, one can't beat the selection and price at Costco.
Thanks. We don't have Costco membership and the by the time we arrive at OGG on Sunday, they will be closed anyway.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:28 am

With regard to non-expert level snorkeling:

Look at a map and go north to south, starting at the property.

1. Between Mokapu and Ula beaches is Ulua reef. This is a fantastic option! Mokapu and Ulua beaches are beautiful, they offer easy entry, they are never never super crowded, it's right out your door, and there's equipment rental. This reef almost never has current. If there's strong waves then it's a little tougher, but just focus on the outer reef (where the reef meets sandy bottom) and lap this reef/sand border from Mokapu to Ulua (and swim the return or walk the maybe 30m back on the sand). This site is super commonly used for check out dives, so it's easy. If there's no waves, then explore the shallows. In the shallows I found numerous kinds of ells, octopi, and many turtles. I saw two mantas there my first day in the deeper Ulua side outer reef (so much for thinking it's a reef only for beginners). It's also a somewhat common site for sharks (which is good, don't be afraid).

2. Next reef going south is between Ulua and Wailea, this might be called the Marriott Rocks/Wall. This area is much larger than Ulua, and has some more interesting topography and some maybe better deep sections versus Ulua, but it's can have (slightly) less vis. One day I did a "drift snorkel" (really no current but for fun) starting at Mokapu and ending at Wailea beaches, snorkeling these two sections of reef. In this area I saw much the same life as Ulua, but more turtles and once a spotted eagle ray near the bottom in about 50' depth. Let's call this area "intermediate" only because one can't exit in the middle, it's a longer stretch and the only entries/exits - which are super easy - are at the beaches.

3. The reef between Wailea and Polo. I didn't do this area this trip - Wailea is a more crowded beach and Polo beach access parking isn't my favorite location, and there's so many choices in South Maui. If I had more time and my wife liked snorkeling as much as I do, I would do a drift from Ulua all the way to Polo (walking Wailea beach instead of swimming/drifting it) and walk the great Wailea beach path - which stretches from Andaz south to Polo - home.

4. The area between Polo and White Rocks beaches. This is a killer area! (Killer for it's beauty, reef topography, and recent tiger shark attack). I like to swim it from White Rocks, which looks like a private beach for houses and is accessed by street parking south of Polo. White Rocks never has many people. The reef is like a mini-Makena Landing reef in topography. This area is somewhat more wind-protected than others. I saw a small manta ray here, and of course lots of turtles - but no shark.

5. The reef between White Rocks and Poolenalena (aka Loves, sometimes called Chang's) beaches. Poolenalena has three access lots (northern-most is large, two others are super small, souther-most has showers), and has a nude area northern third separated by some easily skirted rocks from the southern two-thirds. I access this area from White Rocks, but it's not as good IMO as the other side of White Rocks.

6. The area between Poolenalena and a little pocket beach I've always called Chang's (some call P-/Loves Chang's, and the little pocket beach a "secret beach", but I know the super small beach north of Maluka as Secret Beach, so...) is great. I prefer access from Poolenalena south. This area has a turlte cleaning station - so there's lots of turtles and they are super still and tranquil as they want the fish to come and clean them. I also see eels here.

There are many more great sites, such as Red Hill between Black Sand and Little Beaches, Dumps, La Peruse, and of course Makena Landing - but I won't call any of those "beginner" level (although plenty of adventurous beginners have no issue loving some of these sites).
excellent info. Thank you so much.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US Airways, Delta, Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott
Andaz Maui

Just returned from a 4 day stay at the Andaz Maui - a beautiful property, but still working out the kinks. Occupancy was between 30-60% so not crowded. Service was amazing, but having to explain where you are from, how long you are staying and what you are doing while you are in Maui over and over again to staff was a little much for me, but others might like that. The staff will bend over backwards to get you anything you need - we felt very pampered during our stay.

The only issue was the A/C system - it kept malfunctioning and turning on and off at random times during the night. Apparently, the room "knows" when you are in the room because the door has a sensor, and when you are not in the room, the A/C turns off and on, even if you have it turned off on your controls. So this was driving me nuts every night and every night we had to call engineering to remedy the situation, which is not fun when you are trying to sleep. Finally they opened the main vent and took the A/C apart to turn it off for us. There is also another vent (right above the bed?!!!) that blows continuous air to dehumidify it - you cannot turn this off, so it feels cold and is a bit loud when you are trying to sleep. They put a towel in that vent and that fixed that issue. The engineers are professional will do whatever it takes to make you comfortable. The assistant manager also called me to see how he could make things right, and he did - which tells me that customer service is important at the Andaz.

Otherwise the room is thoughtfully done - the bathroom made no sense to me at first, but I ended up loving it and the pull apart shutters so that you could bathe/shower with an ocean view. Also I was surprised and so happy to see the Toto washlet (you will know what this is if you have been South Korea or Japan). The furniture on the lanai is the most uncomfortable ever but it's beautiful and artsy and I liked it -I had no problem putting some towels on them to relax. They provided an electric hot water kettle and coffee/tea service. No nespresso for us spoiled travelers!

Fosto (spelling?) at the Pool area, Debbie (activies & concierge), and the entire beach crew were exceptional.

We upgraded to an Andaz Suite using a diamond upgrade certificate and it was nice - we had a beautiful view and were on the 7th floor. We enjoyed the diamond breakfast experience at Ka'ana Kitchen and it was fabulous - if they don't have what you want they will make it for you. I overheard a lady make the most ridiculous request for her eggs and they did them exactly as she wanted without complaint. The fresh squeezed juices (we had 2 green juices every morning) are amazing.

The food at the pools was very good as well - try the lobster grilled cheese and the poke - both were delicious!

We were there for our birthdays but they didn't ask and we didn't expect anything because I am sure that everyone there is there for some special occasion. Since they don't charge a resort fee, I didn't mind paying for parking. Didn't take advantage of the free shuttle, but nice to keep in mind for next time.

All in all a good stay and I am looking forward to returning to this beautiful property.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:25 pm

Tours

Originally Posted by booyaa
Aside from Costco, any suggestions on where to buy bottles of wine locally near the Andaz? Wife likes wine, but I don't like resort prices.

Also, anyone try out any excursions that are worthwhile? Like the Discover Molokini?

Thanks!
Debbie, the concierge at the Andaz will point you in the right direction when it comes to any kind of activity on the island. There is a Molokini tour that is better than the others, they go the earliest and are the only tour company that goes to the other side of it. As far as the other Molokini tours, I heard from several people at a snorkeling site near the Andaz, that they did not see that much more in Molokini than at the snorkeling site (Ahihi State Reserve - follow the road in front of the Andaz away from Kihei past the residential area and to the parking area - a volcanic rock area - bring shoes to walk to the snorkeling area here).

We did a Maui Downhill bike tour down Haleakala - that was so much fun and they keep you safe and away from cars coming down the mountain.

We loved staying at the Andaz, with good snorkeling and kayaking/paddleboarding right in front of the Hotel as well. And there is a good walking path all the way to the Grand Wailea/Four Seasons area that we did each night.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 23, 2013, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Cbass98
Wife and I are staying here next week. What's the best way to get to the hotel? Cab, shuttle, or arrange with the hotel? Thanks.
I reached out to the property and their response was 60 one way by taxi, and for shared airport shuttles the cost for 4 people, approx. 50. The Andaz can also arrange transportation, but I'm sure that would be much more than the others.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by rocksurf
Debbie, the concierge at the Andaz will point you in the right direction when it comes to any kind of activity on the island. There is a Molokini tour that is better than the others, they go the earliest and are the only tour company that goes to the other side of it. As far as the other Molokini tours, I heard from several people at a snorkeling site near the Andaz, that they did not see that much more in Molokini than at the snorkeling site (Ahihi State Reserve - follow the road in front of the Andaz away from Kihei past the residential area and to the parking area - a volcanic rock area - bring shoes to walk to the snorkeling area here).

We did a Maui Downhill bike tour down Haleakala - that was so much fun and they keep you safe and away from cars coming down the mountain.

We loved staying at the Andaz, with good snorkeling and kayaking/paddleboarding right in front of the Hotel as well. And there is a good walking path all the way to the Grand Wailea/Four Seasons area that we did each night.

Enjoy!
I plan in taking the Haleakala bike downhill. Did you drive there or take their shuttle?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by booyaa

Thanks!
We've found that the best non-Costco liquor prices are at the Long's Drug at the Cannery. Some of the ABC stores have good prices, too, and there's one of those in Kihei.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:57 am

Maui Downhill

Originally Posted by fishy21
I plan in taking the Haleakala bike downhill. Did you drive there or take their shuttle?
"Maui Downhill" picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel - the concierge can make all the arrangements and you can charge it to the hotel ($115 per person + tip).
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:24 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seaduck79
We've found that the best non-Costco liquor prices are at the Long's Drug at the Cannery. Some of the ABC stores have good prices, too, and there's one of those in Kihei.
That Long's Drug store is, perhaps, the most bizarre store we have ever been in. The entire complex is full of very odd people, who look drunk or high or both. It was like a scene from night of the living dead.

We're 2 gym fit lads and literally got back in the car out of fear of how seedy it was and found another pharmacy. Oh, and the store smells odd, too.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by fishy21
For those considering a bike down Haleakela, consider that while some might really enjoy it, as a rather experienced biker (I mountain bike numerous times a week in season), you might hate it.

My opinion of it is a crappy bike, being stuck in a cattle call of a hundred bikers, riding to the lowest common denominator, stuck going slow and sucking exhaust from a convoy of tour buses going 5 mph around hairpin turns, in wet cold weather.

If you're a biker and you're considering it, then some notes:
- bring you own equipment (clothing, gloves, helmut, etc.)
- rent a bike from Haleakela Bikes (no tour offered) and do your own ride on double track and single track
- find a company that has the smallest tour size possible?

Of course, some, especially those that enjoy group tours (I'm the opposite, an anit-tourist), you'll probably agree with the many positive opinions of the tour.

*So, just another opinion data point... TA offers a great opinion sample size on such a topic.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 3:37 pm

Haleakala Bike Tour

For those considering a bike down Haleakela, consider that while some might really enjoy it, as a rather experienced biker (I mountain bike numerous times a week in season), you might hate it.

My opinion of it is a crappy bike, being stuck in a cattle call of a hundred bikers, riding to the lowest common denominator, stuck going slow and sucking exhaust from a convoy of tour buses going 5 mph around hairpin turns, in wet cold weather.

If you're a biker and you're considering it, then some notes:
- bring you own equipment (clothing, gloves, helmut, etc.)
- rent a bike from Haleakela Bikes (no tour offered) and do your own ride on double track and single track
- find a company that has the smallest tour size possible?

Of course, some, especially those that enjoy group tours (I'm the opposite, an anit-tourist), you'll probably agree with the many positive opinions of the tour.

*So, just another opinion data point... TA offers a great opinion sample size on such a topic.
I respectfully disagree - we only had 4 people (total) in our group for Maui Downhill and we got to go pretty fast. Also, felt safer because we didn't have to deal with cars - the guides would know when they were coming and motion for us to pull to the side - we did not have to keep looking behind us and did not have to be stressed out about cars (the bike lane can get pretty narrow and at some points non-existent) and only the tour groups have license to drive on the road). I'm pretty anti-tourist myself - we eat at local restaurants and this is the only tour we have done in the Hawaiian Islands, but I was so glad we went with a group. They did all the work and made me feel safe. The bikes are not great bikes but they are properly maintained and are fine for what is done on the tour. I do understand, though, that if you are a seasoned cyclist, you will probably want to do it on your own since you will be more experienced dealing with cars.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by rocksurf
I respectfully disagree - we only had 4 people (total) in our group for Maui Downhill and we got to go pretty fast. Also, felt safer because we didn't have to deal with cars - the guides would know when they were coming and motion for us to pull to the side - we did not have to keep looking behind us and did not have to be stressed out about cars (the bike lane can get pretty narrow and at some points non-existent) and only the tour groups have license to drive on the road). I'm pretty anti-tourist myself - we eat at local restaurants and this is the only tour we have done in the Hawaiian Islands, but I was so glad we went with a group. They did all the work and made me feel safe. The bikes are not great bikes but they are properly maintained and are fine for what is done on the tour. I do understand, though, that if you are a seasoned cyclist, you will probably want to do it on your own since you will be more experienced dealing with cars.
Thanks for the reply. What tour company did you use? The one I'm looking at is self guided. Haleakala Bike Company.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 1:44 am

Fishy21, I went with Maui Sunriders about a year ago, highly recommended. It looks almost identical to Haleakala Bike Company, but a bit cheaper ($90 advertised, we paid $70 + tax for our group of eight).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.