Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thank You From Hyatt – Enjoy 50,000 MileagePlus Award Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thank You From Hyatt – Enjoy 50,000 MileagePlus Award Miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:10 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
Of course not. Hyatt has excellent properties in Europe and in the Middle East. Hyatt has great staff in all their international properties and all the meetings (small or bigger events) are always professional. We are paying for quality at Hyatt International and we are getting it. But now, we see an erosion in some properties because they have to accommodate those Visa Card Award customers: less food in stock, lower quality wine, lower quality service. And that is unacceptable in our beloved International Hyatt - beloved because we appreciate the efforts of the staff to compensate this discrimination.

What is in the radar here is not Hyatt but the Marketing Department/Gold Passport and its focus on the U.S. market while discriminating the rest of the world at the level of the program but not at the level of investments (4 more Hyatt in France, a brand new Andaz in Amsterdam, more Hyatt in India, etc..).
One only need look at the threads on FT along the lines of 'I have 2 nights from the Hyatt credit card. What room do I get at the Park Hyatt Sydney?' to prove this point.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Ducatibiker
What is in the radar here is not Hyatt but the Marketing Department/Gold Passport and its focus on the U.S. market while discriminating the rest of the world at the level of the program but not at the level of investments (4 more Hyatt in France, a brand new Andaz in Amsterdam, more Hyatt in India, etc..).
This is very true. It is not the hotels that international members are complaining about, it is how much GP is slanted toward US members. Up-thread it was mentioned that the majority of Hyatt's profits are still coming from the US market, and while that may be true, the majority of their best properties are outside the US. The GP program seems to mostly focus on providing incentives for US customers, maybe assuming that they will then stay at those expensive properties overseas, rather than trying to attract and keep loyal customers in the overseas markets.

For me, shunning Hyatt would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face, but it still stings a bit that GP treats its international members as second-class citizens, or maybe equating the US members to "favored children" would be a more apt metaphor.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 15, 2012 at 3:49 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 3:44 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly... I'm currently in the middle of a few weeks of vacantion where I'm almost exclusively staying in Hyatt's in Asia. And they are great properties.

But the incentive being so focussed on US members still annoys me a lot. No way for me to get those two free night or those extra promo points.

And I did complain about their latest UA incentive and this is the reply I got.

I appreciate your interested in our most recent Surprise and Delight offer of 50,000 United Airlines miles. This gift is part of the “Surprise & Delight" program Hyatt Gold Passport offers randomly to members. Though, in this instance, we were unable to share this gift with all members, we may have other surprise and delight gestures in the future.

If it were truly random I could accept it... But we all know it isn't....
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RTW1
If it were truly random I could accept it... But we all know it isn't....
Really? How do you knw that? I assume it is because there have been no reports of people outside the USA receiving this random gift. I think that's a bad assumption and that the set of members selected for it was random as was stated -- but from a pool of members who could and would actually be able to use the gift, members based in the USA. While many people on FT might live outside the USA and fly or collect miles on UA, that's not terribly common. A randomly selected non-USA member of GP is most likely to have never flown UA and to have pretty much no use for the gift. If Hyatt gave you 50k points in the Air Astana Nomad Club what would you do with them? Wait -- don't answer that -- this is FT! ... what would a non-FTer do with them?

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 15, 2012 at 8:06 am
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

How can a gift to only some people with a US based FFP be random... Again a promotion/gift that's US biased. But even then I find it hard to believe that it's random, even among that group.

But what's truly amazing is that in no way they seem to realize how this is percieved by many.

And my main complaint was about the non-functioning website, another useless answer on that as well:

It is extremely important to us that we provide our guests with a website that is both user-friendly and dependable. Your feedback will assist us in making the necessary improvements to our site.

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 15, 2012 at 7:40 am
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Despite the fact that the property I frequent the most is at least $298AUD+ per night, and we all know that properties in the US can be had for much less than that
I hope the $298AUD property is not equivalent to the Hyatt Places/Houses in the US. If it is, I can understand your point. At the same time, prices of other commodities can be much higher than what is paid in the US (i.e., food, gas etc). And the service at international properties are much better than what is offered here as attest by other posters in these threads. You get what you pay for.

One way the international folks can get Hyatt's attention is to walk. Status Qou and comments on FT don't seem to be getting the point to corporate.

as a fyi - I did not rec this bonus either
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
If one was happy with Hyatt before not getting the 50k in UA points, why would that change?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Smile

Originally Posted by colpuck
If one was happy with Hyatt before not getting the 50k in UA points, why would that change?
it is just another sign that the merger was a colossal failure. h wait -- wrong forum...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Really? How do you knw that? I assume it is because there have been no reports of people outside the USA receiving this random gift. I think that's a bad assumption and that the set of members selected for it was random as was stated -- but from a pool of members who could and would actually be able to use the gift, members based in the USA. While many people on FT might live outside the USA and fly or collect miles on UA, that's not terribly common. A randomly selected non-USA member of GP is most likely to have never flown UA and to have pretty much no use for the gift. If Hyatt gave you 50k points in the Air Astana Nomad Club what would you do with them? Wait -- don't answer that -- this is FT! ... what would a non-FTer do with them?
so you think that only member based in the US could use UA miles? How provincial. Wait, don't bother looking it up in the dictionary...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
If one was happy before getting slapped in the face, why would that change?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I hope the $298AUD property is not equivalent to the Hyatt Places/Houses in the US. If it is, I can understand your point. At the same time, prices of other commodities can be much higher than what is paid in the US (i.e., food, gas etc). And the service at international properties are much better than what is offered here as attest by other posters in these threads. You get what you pay for.

One way the international folks can get Hyatt's attention is to walk. Status Qou and comments on FT don't seem to be getting the point to corporate.

as a fyi - I did not rec this bonus either
1. You missed the point completely.
2. You failed to read anything.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
so you think that only member based in the US could use UA miles? How provincial. Wait, don't bother looking it up in the dictionary...
That's nt what I said.

Take a step back and think of this from Hyatt's perspective. They want to award UA miles at random to some of their members. Does it make sense to award them to members who would likely not have any use for them? No. How can Hyatt choose who might use them and who might not? One obvious way (and likely the one chosen based on what we've seen) is to randomly choose members from the country where the airline does most of its business, the USA. Sure, they could have found international members who credited to UA, etc. But they appear not to have done that. Why? It matters not.

Look -- This was a gift. When you receive a gift you say, "Thank you." When you don't receive a gift it is rather presumptuous to complain that the giver somehow forgot you.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My usual warning applies:

(1) If you discuss other members and not the issue
(2) You post off topic message

We have no choice but to delete them.

I am closing the thread for the night for cool heads to prevail.

Markie - Co-Mod, Hyatt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.