Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hyatt in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I might not put it at the very top of my list, but Bonita Springs should be on your list. Just in my mind its a three-night max.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Given my geographical constraints here in Florida, I would say NONE of the Florida properties should be in Top 5 or even top 10.

Hyatt Key West - has NO suite rooms and very small beach.
Bonita Springs- may get better after renovation but NO beach.
Has access to a private island whose shuttle boat ceases service at 3(!!!) pm.
Recently they began charging $12 for self parking. Shame on them!

Hyatt Grand Cypress Orlando - this is the hotel that may crack the top 10 among the US Hyatts if their service level can improve. Otherwise, nice golf, pool, food etc.

Hyatt Clearwater is an all suite hotel but you have to cross a street to get to the beach. Otherwise, this could have been a top 10.

Sorry Florida no top 10 Hyatts in my book.

I have stayed in DFW but it was not that special.
Hyatt Regency Denver, Houston, New Orl were all the same.

Hyatt San Francisco (Emarcadero area) is my favorite due to their Regency Club. No club access, then just OK rooms and terrible elevators in 2009.

RM
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Minneapolis? I would put Gainey Ranch (PHX) ahead, plus Tamara (near (ABQ), Witchita and a few other odd ones. The Hyatt at the Bellevue is also lovely as a former PH if you like the style. There's a reflagged Andaz in Napa that I have high hopes for--will report back.

However, I avoid Highlands Inn with a passion due to the rotten way they treated me when I had a confirmed (in writing) reservation for a dinner table with a view. After waiting over an hour in a packed and noisey bar, they tried to give me a sad table in a back function room (no hint of a view, IIRC it was windowless) that was filled with a huge family group with about a dozen out-of-control children. The excuse was that all of their tables were given to guests without reservations who had arrived well before the time of my reservation (but not so early that one would expect them to have left by the time of my reservation). For the record, this was an AmEx Fine Dining reservation, so if I had just left they would have hit me with a no show charge of $60 and probably would have been unable to get dinner anywhere that night. I arrived about five minutes before the designated time.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 24, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I like the Park Hyatt WDC, but I'm sure there is something better out there.

To be number 1 on my list they have to have an awesome bed, great views and location, a sweet walk in shower and memorable room service
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
Why u guys recommend PH DC? I stayed there before and did not find it is better than other PH.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
  1. PH DC
  2. PH Chicago
  3. Hyatt Highlands Carmel - breathtaking views over the pounding surf
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K,Hyatt Diamond,AA Lifetime Platinum,SPG
Haven't checked their gym and it is interesting to know their gym is so small....

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Hyatt Key West??? one of the most disappointing Hyatt's as it's not a resort or even a full service Hyatt. They gym is the size of my walk in closet at home, it's basically an upscale motor lodge trying to be a resort.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:38 pm

About two years ago, I’d posted an inquiry about travel experiences worth having before the end of my traveling days. The brief description of my take-away was “bucket list”. Since my financial resources are limited (employer contribution subject to pretty severe rate limits), I decided the biggest bang for my buck would come from taking my standard hotel reimbursement, kicking in what was necessary, and staying in nicer, more centrally located hotels for a year or two. More specifically, Hyatt Hotels, y preferred “brand”, and the brand best supported by FT intelligence.
My priorities:
  • Good, 24-hour Fitness Center
  • Quiet and comfortable.
  • Grocery store nearby.
  • Room suited to light work.
  • Flexible service – I keep odd hours.
  • Newspapers – free or not, don’t send me looking for a newsstand just to get a NY Times.
Since I’m working 100+hours a week, and I have self-imposed dietary restrictions (strict vegetarian), I don’t care about “suite” upgrades or, for the most part, lounges and restaurants. Which is to say, your preferences may vary. A lot.

Park Hyatt Chicago. Ideal location. Public transport and shopping at the doorstep. The restaurant came through with some “suitable” food during my one visit. (Thanks) Front desk staff, doormen, concierge all unbeatable.

Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Great location, during the workweek anyway. (On weekends, I’d rather be at the Grand Hyatt SF, even though it’s an inferior hotel.) A lounge so good that I always make it a point to visit. The fitness center is good, if not stellar. My rooms were always quiet, somewhere out in the hinterlands. As it turns out, my needs for service were limited, but no one let me down.

Park Hyatt Washington. A great location for unusual reasons. It really isn’t in the middle of anything, nor is it particularly near the Metro or business. But it’s got a quiet environment and neighborhood feel. The restaurant struggled to find breakfast, and eventually sent me to some buffet set-up with fruit and raw-grain cereal.

Grand Hyatt New York. Another Ideal location. Lounge was nice (after remodel; I’d been many times to the old lounge and the difference was night and white.) Frustrated by “key” problems and atrocious service in dealing with them. Being a “regular” here doesn’t mean squat.

Grant Hyatt Seattle. Ideal location. Public transport, shopping. A good fitness
center, if a wee bit closed-in feeling (windowless). I did visit the lounge a couple of times; nice setting, but the service was a little “too much” for me. Overall small-hotel feel.

Andaz Fifth Avenue. Great location. Bummer fitness center: in the basement without radio or cell or wi-fi reception. At first, the hotel’s quirky stuff bugged me – the unconventional “front desk” setup, the fact that the lobby turns into a wine bar (or some such) in the evening, the odd light switches… Then it kind of grew on me. Then it started irritating me again, three weeks in.

Hyatt Regency Waikiki. If you want to be there, it’s a great location. I work and so don’t care about the beach or other nearby goings on. And, as a fitness center guy, having the fitness center closed during my stay – unannounced….right up until the morning it closed, when I happened to be inside! – was un-un-fortunate. The lounge was fabulous, though I didn’t get along with the lounge staff.

Hyatt Gainey Ranch and Grand Champions. – I’ll combine these. Like both for what they were. But I’m a working stiff with no car. And I don’t get reimbursed resort fees. If you’ve got a car, or plan to stay on-property, or have free time, thumbs up. Both had nice lounges. Grand Champions had the “champion” gym.

Grand Hyatt DFW. Yes, I stayed there too. And Hyatt Pier 66 (Fort Lauderdale). Liked Minneapolis (the city) more than the hotel, but it’s been a while.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Sep 27, 2012 at 4:48 pm
Old Sep 29, 2012, 2:57 pm
DH

Originally Posted by jambajuice
Why u guys recommend PH DC? I stayed there before and did not find it is better than other PH.
I share your view. My one night stay was neutral.

Based on my stays -

GH Kauai
Andaz 5th Ave
Highland Inn
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
PH Chicago and PH DC feel very similar to me - but I like the restaurant/lounge area at PH DC a little better so it gets my vote. But both are nice hotels - not the PH Paris, to be sure, but nice nonetheless.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Rumeli
Given my geographical constraints here in Florida, I would say NONE of the Florida properties should be in Top 5 or even top 10.

Hyatt Key West - has NO suite rooms and very small beach.
Bonita Springs- may get better after renovation but NO beach.
Has access to a private island whose shuttle boat ceases service at 3(!!!) pm.
Recently they began charging $12 for self parking. Shame on them!

Hyatt Grand Cypress Orlando - this is the hotel that may crack the top 10 among the US Hyatts if their service level can improve. Otherwise, nice golf, pool, food etc.

Hyatt Clearwater is an all suite hotel but you have to cross a street to get to the beach. Otherwise, this could have been a top 10.

Sorry Florida no top 10 Hyatts in my book.

I have stayed in DFW but it was not that special.
Hyatt Regency Denver, Houston, New Orl were all the same.

Hyatt San Francisco (Emarcadero area) is my favorite due to their Regency Club. No club access, then just OK rooms and terrible elevators in 2009.

RM

Not a resort, but HR MCO, is so much better than Grand Cypress from a service standpoint. The pool overlooks the runway, and I am always upgraded without hesitation.

The best part is that I donot feel nickel and dimed like when I stay at GC.

I really like Clearwater.

I also put a vote in for GH San Antonio.

MSP was ok, nothing special. What is up with the dark hallways???

Pier 66 was a disappointment......
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I just stayed at Grand Cypress, I share your view...beautiful facility, terrible service, lots of nickel and diming! Certainly doesn't have the business traveler in mind, not that kind of place. I will give HR MCO a shot next time I'm there.

I have to go to MSP next month, will bring a flashlight.

Stayed at PH Chicago about 20 years ago, didn't do much for me, but I forget why! I'll have to give it another shot.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
Why would you put Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale? I have a 10 day reservation here in December, the reviews are hit and miss on TripAdvisor and Yelp... what's your take on it?

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior

Grand Hyatt DFW. Yes, I stayed there too. And Hyatt Pier 66 (Fort Lauderdale). Liked Minneapolis (the city) more than the hotel, but it’s been a while.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
I was not a huge fan of the Pier 66. Unless you need the location, I actually preferred the room and location of the FTL airport Hyatt Place.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Andaz5
Why would you put Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale? I have a 10 day reservation here in December, the reviews are hit and miss on TripAdvisor and Yelp... what's your take on it?
Pier 66 is a rock solid 1970's property that should not have made it into this century. Elevators are slow, waiting times of 15 minutes are common, the gym, restaurants, pools areas and public spaces become massvely overcrowded on weekends, even in off-season.

The recent sales on Travelzoo painted a clear picture as well and should give us a good estimate which crowds will frequent the property in the upcoming weeks until X-Mas. On the other hand, you get what you pay for and rooms started at just $ 79 or 89 on TZ...
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Andaz5
It's a bit of a "miss" for me. Keep in mind, I'm a business traveler with an odd, inflexible schedule and no car. It isn't "remote", but it's hike to any store or restaurant. The offerings on-site weren't appealing to me. If there's such a thing as vacation/resort food, this was it. I stayed about twenty weeks, broken up into about twelve segments. I never had any idea where my room might be or what sort of condition it might be in; the quality varied considerably with the best/most consistent in the main hotel building, as opposed to the outbound spots. One real deal-breaker for me (though it might not matter to you) was the short opening hours for the fitness center and the unreliability of the person doing the morning opening. (I've heard that they've gone to 24-hour. )My Diamond status certainly never brought me anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.