Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Need help re: cancelled points reservation during the Olympics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

So I had a reservation at the Andaz for five nights starting July 27th on points. Andaz says that the rate is nonrefundable, non-cancellable. However, I called Hyatt and had two seperate CSRs tell me you can cancel points reservations and there is not a charge. I had to move my London portion around due to work committments.

So I cancelled and get an email from the Andaz saying that I can't do that and they created a new paid reservation for me without my permission. On top of this, the CC they had on file was a hyatt card which I cancelled last year to get the Shappire or something. So they tried to charge the card twice but got rejected each time. So basically they have a reservation under my name without a CC.

Where it gets tricky is I still have a seperate reservation for one night on points after those five days that I still need. It's on a current AMEX that I use. I am afraid they'll try to charge that card, which I think would be fraud on top of creating a reservation for me without my permission. You can't charge one card, then when it doesn't work, charge the reservation to another card you were never given permission to use.

I tried talking to the Andaz people and the guy working in guest services said he'd try to talk to the CSRs who said I could cancel, etc. But it's been three days and no followup. I called today at 2 pm London time and evidently he had already gone home? Two days earlier he was working till 7 or 8 pm.

Thoughts? Since they dont have a valid CC, Im sure I can dispute. Worst case scenerio, I can't pay the $1000/night for five nights, esp of a reservation I am not staying at....help!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

In the reservation you received at the time of booking you should be able to see what the cancellation policy is for the rate you have booked. Even when booking with points there is a cancellation policy!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN
It seems the cancellation policy is clear:

Room Description:
ANDAZ KING

Rate Description:
Gold Passport Award

Cancellation Policy:
Non Refundable/Full Prepayment/No Changes

Deposit Policy:
Deposit Required By July 20, 2012. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 4 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.

But the current rate is only 390 Pounds per night not $1000
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by RTW1
In the reservation you received at the time of booking you should be able to see what the cancellation policy is for the rate you have booked. Even when booking with points there is a cancellation policy!
Exactly. It has been reported in the past that some of those award reservations at popular destinations and/or during high demand periods (like Olympics) may come with very stringent cancellation policies. For example, one of the my past award reservations had a 28 days advance cancellation policy. Try to locate your original confirmation email and figure out what the policy was at that time. If it is favorable to you then use that when talking with Andaz. Otherwise, hope that they let you get away with what you got so far (free cancellation outside the rules of the reservation).
Old Jul 20, 2012, 5:11 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by leftpinky
Hi all,

So I had a reservation at the Andaz for five nights starting July 27th on points. Andaz says that the rate is nonrefundable, non-cancellable. However, I called Hyatt and had two seperate CSRs tell me you can cancel points reservations and there is not a charge. I had to move my London portion around due to work committments.

So I cancelled and get an email from the Andaz saying that I can't do that and they created a new paid reservation for me without my permission. On top of this, the CC they had on file was a hyatt card which I cancelled last year to get the Shappire or something. So they tried to charge the card twice but got rejected each time. So basically they have a reservation under my name without a CC.

Where it gets tricky is I still have a seperate reservation for one night on points after those five days that I still need. It's on a current AMEX that I use. I am afraid they'll try to charge that card, which I think would be fraud on top of creating a reservation for me without my permission. You can't charge one card, then when it doesn't work, charge the reservation to another card you were never given permission to use.

I tried talking to the Andaz people and the guy working in guest services said he'd try to talk to the CSRs who said I could cancel, etc. But it's been three days and no followup. I called today at 2 pm London time and evidently he had already gone home? Two days earlier he was working till 7 or 8 pm.

Thoughts? Since they dont have a valid CC, Im sure I can dispute. Worst case scenerio, I can't pay the $1000/night for five nights, esp of a reservation I am not staying at....help!
Dear Left Pinky,

Thank you so much for your message. If you will please direct message me with your information, I will be more than happy to work on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Dear Left Pinky,

Thank you so much for your message. If you will please direct message me with your information, I will be more than happy to work on your behalf.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Safe travels,

Dana M.
Opps, personal info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.