Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:45 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Booked a suite upgrade using points recently, and it was in fact a Grand Suite, not a Grand Executive Suite, that I was upgraded to.

Little by little, Hyatt is validating my decision not to go out of my way to become a Globalist.
Its incredibly sad to hear
More and more hotels are undermining the new WOH program.
The trend started with Gold Passport and the bleeding continues apparently
If there is anything that will damage the credibility of the program it will be hotels that micro manage the program benefits to the point
that they become or almost become at or near meaningless
In 2018 Only real Globalists will be around
and if anything benefits should equal or exceed expectations based on the new stiffer requirements
Corporate needs to fix this long term IMO but if Hyatt under delivers it will
damage all of what they set out to do which is to get higher performing customers
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Its incredibly sad to hear
More and more hotels are undermining the new WOH program.
The trend started with Gold Passport and the bleeding continues apparently
If there is anything that will damage the credibility of the program it will be hotels that micro manage the program benefits to the point
that they become or almost become at or near meaningless
In 2018 Only real Globalists will be around
and if anything benefits should equal or exceed expectations based on the new stiffer requirements
GHT was incredibly generous in making their Executive Suite available for as long as it lasted. I understand that if they anticipate more upgrades, they would start with the Grand Suite.

Hyatt got away with the new PHNY and their "suite" upgrade to a junior suite - long before WoH was on the cards.

I think it's incredibly difficult for hotels to manage 2017: the number of Globalists that are entitled for upgrades will be sky-high. In today's world, any hotel will be careful with upgrades on multi-night stays as this might mean lost revenue. Only in 2018 when Hyatt will axe the majority of the current Globalists, can you expect more flexibility when assigning suites.

For all hotels that follow the ask from Corporate Hyatt to show Globalists their very best behavior, there might be not much in for them: You invest into guests that won't be elites next year and might not come back once they lost Globalist.

If I was Hyatt, I would have introduced unlimited suite upgrades on all nights only in 2018 when the number of total upgrades is more manageable.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:42 am

But on a positive note, Grand Executive Suite availability has gone way up. ^
You mean fully paid availability, of course. That is less appealing beause in Tokyo there are much better options at that price level.

This change may not be a smart move for GHT. Rooms are small at this hotel, and the suites, while nice, cannot really compete with what is offered by newer luxury hotels. Offering the Grand Executive Suite as an upgrade for loyal and high value guests was a nice way of compensating for the ways this hotel otherwise would fall short of its competitors.

It would behoove this hotel to continue to offer loyal guests what they are used to, as in the hospitality industry the "let down" effect is a sure way to leave people looking elsewhere. It's worse to offer something and take it away than to have never offered it in the first place.

P&C + DSU, in my opinion was too cheap of a rate for suites at this property. Low corporate rates + GSU (or whatever they are called) also may be too low. But full daily rate + points or GSU should get a proper suite. This hotel is delusional if they think their hard product compares to Ritz-Carlton's, for example, for guests paying full rates without these upgrades.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Mar 13, 2017 at 2:50 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
You mean fully paid availability, of course. That is less appealing beause in Tokyo there are much better options at that price level.

This change may not be a smart move for GHT. Rooms are small at this hotel, and the suites, while nice, cannot really compete with what is offered by newer luxury hotels. Offering the Grand Executive Suite as an upgrade for loyal and high value guests was a nice way of compensating for the ways this hotel otherwise would fall short of its competitors.

It would behoove this hotel to continue to offer loyal guests what they are used to, as in the hospitality industry the "let down" effect is a sure way to leave people looking elsewhere. It's worse to offer something and take it away than to have never offered it in the first place.

P&C + DSU, in my opinion was too cheap of a rate for suites at this property. Low corporate rates + GSU (or whatever they are called) also may be too low. But full daily rate + points or GSU should get a proper suite. This hotel is delusional if they think their hard product compares to Ritz-Carlton's, for example, for guests paying full rates without these upgrades.
I was wondering about this. That's why when I saw the executive suite available online, the WOH hotline told me that on some of my specific booking days the upgrade suites were sold out . TBH, I wasn't aware that there even was a grand suite king since all my upgrades have been executive suite for the past 4 years. Aside from the obvious decrease in sq. footage, does the grand suite pale in comparison to the executive suite from your experience?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by SMK77
If I was Hyatt, I would have introduced unlimited suite upgrades on all nights only in 2018 when the number of total upgrades is more manageable.
That would have been a smart thing to do. I think maybe they wanted to soften the blow of the higher requirements and decided to leave that one in, even realizing the bait and switch nature of how it would ultimately work out.

I hate being promised these upgrades, not get them, and see the rooms sitting empty on the hotel website as they gamble with whether they will book them.

Moving mid-stay is becoming a more frequent reality.

As a diamond GHT has not offered me an upgrade of any sort in five years. I have used suite upgrades and got them, I thought always the Grand Suite but have found out the truth here. So, ouch, but saves me a DSU I was about to use.

I did get moved to a bit bigger room once at my request over this time. I deal with it because the hotel is otherwise fabulous. But as the price keeps spiralling up I'm moving away from Hyatt in Tokyo. They sell out all the time so hard to argue with them not giving out upgrades like candy anyway.

I did once get put into the Ambassador suite there for a 2 night stay but that had to do with Amex Centurion. Over 10 years going there I think and that was the only on-arrival upgrade I ever got.

And I thought the wine was because they liked me 😭. I usually spent 14-21 nights at this property per year. Down to 7 now as at current prices there are better options.

Again, this is OK, I don't "deserve" anything special. I just prefer if the brand marketing agrees with the delivery of the properties so I don't get false expectations. GHT has set my expectations pretty firmly (not going to get anything special, and otherwise perfect performance at the hotel on everything else and I love the property). Everything for me is OK as long as I'm not going to be given the impression that I will receive a bonus. Because of experience with some of these hotels and FT I know how to set my expectations using reality instead of from the chain marketing dept. That helps a lot in my overall satisfaction.

It would be nice if the chain marketing dpt. realized this so they would adjust expectations and performance so that they met somewhere.

Last edited by chromo; Mar 20, 2017 at 4:10 am
Old May 6, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Death by a thousand cost cuts

The turndown service no longer includes the filling of the ice bucket. Which is kind of annoying, as one of the earlier cost cuts had been to remove the ice machines from all the floors...
Old May 6, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
The turndown service no longer includes the filling of the ice bucket. Which is kind of annoying, as one of the earlier cost cuts had been to remove the ice machines from all the floors...
The cost cuts are very unfortunate, but do not surprise me. It's a good thing Andaz and Ritz-Carlton are good alternatives nearby.
Old May 9, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
My first stay as an Explorist, two C+P nights during Golden Week. Confirmed an Explorist Club Lounge Upgrade with @HyattConcierge in March, but they had no record of this on site. Got to speak with the rooms manager, who valiantly defended the new World of Hyatt, but even she seemed a bit derisive of the new tier names.

So long as I was inside the lounge, I still felt like a Diamond. Although I received no upgrade, they did allow a third adult in a regular Grand Twin with an extra bed, allowed us to check-in at noon, and even proactively offered a 4pm checkout, though we ultimately did not take them up on the offer, which was fortunate for reasons that will become apparent later. They allowed the third adult full access to the lounge, but there was an additional 5000 yen a night fee for allowing the third adult in the room.

The hotel seemed quite full. There was actually a time when every chair in the pool was occupied, so not the tranquil experience it usually was. Also fortunate to bring my own swimsuit this time around, as they now want to charge me 750 yen for rental. The lounge was also a madhouse, but they were always good about replenishing the items in a timely matter, and the quality level was unchanged.

I was all set to write a post saying that I would likely be using the remainder of my points/club upgrades here before the end of February, but then, at the very end, this surreal event overshadowed everything:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...t-parking.html

So looks like I'll be splitting my time between Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Hyatt Regency Osaka instead.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:23 am

I always wondered how the GH Tokyo Lounge can determine who can use and who cannot.

There is no key access and they do not ask.

Cannot expect them to know all faces.

How do they do it?
Old May 10, 2017, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
I always wondered how the GH Tokyo Lounge can determine who can use and who cannot.

There is no key access and they do not ask.

Cannot expect them to know all faces.

How do they do it?
I often see them asking people for their room number.
Old May 16, 2017, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An English article with a few more details.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...xec-left-japan

Think it's safe to assume that his career is toast.
Or so I thought…

https://www.linkedin.com/in/antonio-...lvarez-0a72213
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:43 am

Thumbs up Grand Hyatt Tokyo - May 2017

Despite the miserable World of Hyatt, I booked a two night stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo using full points (25,000 x 2) and used a Diamond Suite Upgrade voucher.

Arrival:

We arrived at around 0730 and I asked to check-in at the Grand Club. Of course the room was not ready which was fine and not an expectation. I was asked whether I wanted to upgrade to the Grand Executive Suite (which was available right away) for a substantial fee and I declined.

Grand Club breakfast:

As we were three people, I didn't gamble on being charged full breakfast in the main restaurant so we ate in the Grand Club.

Grand Executive Suite:

After some sightseeing we were tired and returned to the Grand Club at around 1300h. Unfortunately the Grand Suite was still not ready but the kind staff offered us a waiting room which was a Standard Room on the Grand Club floor. We took a nap in there. At 1445 I enquired as to the status of the Grand Suite and it was still not available. However, the staff relented and volunteered the Grand Executive Suite which was appreciated. I asked for a rollaway bed which was not charged.

Grand Club Happy Hour:

The food is of good quality although not overly vast. The Louis Roederer champagne is a very decent one and was enjoyable. Apart from the salad, cold and 1 / 2 hot dishes rotate daily.

Conclusion:

Overall this was a very comfortable stay at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. The Grand Club was satisfying and the staff, especially Miho, were extremely friendly, welcoming and efficient in their service. Obviously the upgraded Suite which was given was a massive plus in enhancing the stay.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, what have they done with the evening offerings!?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Wow, what have they done with the evening offerings!?
Was there during Obon and there was so much food. Wow! What a change! They've sure cut down a lot. No longer the best Lounge in Japan.
Now there is more food at HR Osaka.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope Hyatt Regency Tokyo Style doesn't become the wave of the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.