Diamond Trial -- Suite upgrades

Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Plat, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
It sounded like the program got 'enhanced' all of a sudden.

I just called the Hyatt Gold Pass Passport concierge (and somebody might want to call the Diamond Line to confirm, as I don't have access to the Diamond line until my Diamond challenge which I plan to begin in July if its still available), and they confirmed that as long as a reservation is made by February 28th, 2014, a suite upgrade can be used towards a stay after February 28th, 2014. Date changes may still happen, but if a reservation is cancelled, then the award will no longer be redeemable. The date change possible is something new I just found out, as based on my reading so far, I thought a date change on the reservation after February 28th, 2014, or any changes for that matter on the reservation which the suite upgrade is applied would deem the certificate unusable period. Again, someone may want to comment on this new tidbit of information.

Based on date being March 9th, 2013, 9 days after the program year switch over, did you try to use the suite upgrades that expired February 28th, 2013? If so, its too late to make the reservation now. I also noticed that you're Hyatt Platinum in your signature. Are you on a Diamond Trial currently? You have a new set of suite upgrades to use as at March 1st, 2013. The set of 4 suite upgrades if unuses prior to February 28th, 2013 is now toast.
Thanks for reply! You are correct that the diamond ones has expired already, but I found that I still had few of the Chase ones.

May be that rule ("cannot be applied to a booking after expiration date") applies only to Chase ones?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I reflected awhile on your post..

So, it doesn't matter which way I cut it, qualifying through diamond trial in July/August of this year, or diamond trial in Feb 2014, both scenarios I would need to qualify 50 nights through calendar year 2014 to enjoy diamond status for the entire calendar year 2015?

So may as well get off onto the Diamond challenge right away in July, as I assume the program will give me a chance with a full calendar year to qualify the 50 nights/25 stays (in 2014 as we'll be more than half way past 2013 July on). That is if I qualify the 12 nights within 60 days if I start the challenge after July 1st. Am I on the right track?

So in terms of suite u/gs, I'll get a set of 4 when I sign up for the challenge, and if i qualify the 12 nights I'll get another set after March 1st 2014 (challenge beginning after July 1, 2013)? But 2014 I must qualify for the 50 nights/25 stays to remain diamond I assume.
Bolding mine.

I am not sure if I understood your logic here, but let me emphasize that the qualification period for Hyatt status runs from January 1 through December 31 (a single calendar year). Based on the reservations that you have it looks like you will be close to, but not over, the half way to 50 nights for the 2015 Diamond status. Your CA and HI stays won't matter; the only one that will count will be your FL stay (21 nights). Just wanted to make sure that your expectations are set appropriately.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anpe
Thanks for reply! You are correct that the diamond ones has expired already, but I found that I still had few of the Chase ones.

May be that rule ("cannot be applied to a booking after expiration date") applies only to Chase ones?
I'm just learning the program myself.. FT is a great resource.

"cannot be applied to a booking after expiration date" sounds like if the certificate expires, then the certificate cannot be applied to the booking. Similar I think to the February 28th, 2013 expiry of the diamond suite upgrades. Double check with Passport, because you may be able to apply your chase certs to a booking prior to expiry, and the reservation utilizing the suite upgrade will be valid after the expiry of the certificate. Cancelling the reservation will likely result in the loss of the benefit.. check this out as well.

Correction: anpe, seems maybe your chase cert rereading your original post applies to reservations prior to expiry utilizing reward? Was it the Chase certs you were denied a stay after expiry?

Originally Posted by todorovic
Bolding mine.

I am not sure if I understood your logic here, but let me emphasize that the qualification period for Hyatt status runs from January 1 through December 31 (a single calendar year). Based on the reservations that you have it looks like you will be close to, but not over, the half way to 50 nights for the 2015 Diamond status. Your CA and HI stays won't matter; the only one that will count will be your FL stay (21 nights). Just wanted to make sure that your expectations are set appropriately.
Thanks for the reply.. I understand now that 12 nights in 2013 will allow me a full year of diamond to qualify the 50 nights in 2014, for Diamond qualification in 2015. The Hyatt system only allows us to book a year ahead. I plan to make at least 30 nights worth of reservation in summer 2014 to qualify for Diamond for 2015 for a total of 50 nights in fiscal year 2014. The system only allowing me to book a year ahead is not enabling me to book for summer of 2014 yet.

My latest question was if I qualified for the 12 nights in 2013, would I need to finish off 50 nights in 2013 to qualify for Diamond in 2014? There were a few quotes I was confused that if I qualify after July 1st, 2013, that I would retain status until year 2015, but I think OP meant its only until February 28th, 2015 I would keep the status if I didn't qualify the 50 nights in 2014. OP mentioned 2015, but I guess he meant February 28th, 2015 (basically the 2014 fiscal year), when I thought he originally meant full year 2015.. that was where my confusion was.

So to get it straight now, if I qualify the 12 nights after July 1, 2013, which currently I have 21 nights booked within the 60 day diamond challenge which I plan to start in July, that I would be granted Diamond Status balance of 2013 and all of 2014 to qualify the 50 nights in 2014, to remain Diamond for 2015. Receiving suite certs as a result of the Diamond challenge and at March 1, 2014 will definitely help with the summer 2014 bookings.

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 16, 2013 at 8:57 am
Old Mar 16, 2013, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why try to make it so difficult.....

The general qualification rule is that if you stay 25 stays or 50 nights in any calender year you will qualify for Diamond status for the remainder of that year and until Feb 28th year+2.

The Diamond trail/challenge has really nothing to do with that. There you get Diamond status instantly for 60 or so days and if you reach 12 nights in that period you get Diamond status until Feb 28 year +1 or +2 (depending on the date when the challenge is started, the cut-off point determined by Hyatt GP)

And future bookings don't mean a thing, it's the actual stays that count.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
Why try to make it so difficult.....

The general qualification rule is that if you stay 25 stays or 50 nights in any calender year you will qualify for Diamond status for the remainder of that year and until Feb 28th year+2.

The Diamond trail/challenge has really nothing to do with that. There you get Diamond status instantly for 60 or so days and if you reach 12 nights in that period you get Diamond status until Feb 28 year +1 or +2 (depending on the date when the challenge is started, the cut-off point determined by Hyatt GP)

And future bookings don't mean a thing, it's the actual stays that count.
The Hyatt Passport is very similar to Fairmont President's Club. I like these programs because of the ability to suite upgrade. The FPC program has the same February 28th expiry of certificate date, and fiscal year setup. Future bookings don't mean a thing towards status, until the stay occurs I agree. The reason for planned bookings is to secure a hotel suite, for our future stays.

Thus the art of applying a suite upgrade, and obtaining enough points to upgrade to a suite. Right now I've got 0 points, but by middle of August, I'll be able to have enough points and/or certificates as a result of the challenge to upgrade to a suite. I guess that's why it gets a bit difficult.. timing suite upgrade reservations a year ahead in advance, and planning when incentives are banked, and reservations converted to a suite upgrade reservation, becomes a form of art. But its getting me going onto the program, and my plan is to qualify 50 nights in a suite next year. Free nights, is not important to me.

In addition to the art, is booking ahead airline tickets on Aeroplan for the dates during high season. With a 3 and 7 year old, I've got to get 4 tickets to the destinations on the dates my kids are off school.
Old May 25, 2013, 2:18 am

I started my Diamond trial on May 10th and I was told that I have 60 days to complete the challenge. But my account shows that my current Diamond status expires July 31st.

Does this mean I have until July 31st to complete my challenge or exact 60 days from the start date?

Originally Posted by RTW1
Not really, when you start the challenge you get instant Diamond status... one that lasts for 60 days (most likely to the end of the relevant month). So there is no status change on Feb 28th....
Old May 25, 2013, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nowstime
I started my Diamond trial on May 10th and I was told that I have 60 days to complete the challenge. But my account shows that my current Diamond status expires July 31st.

Does this mean I have until July 31st to complete my challenge or exact 60 days from the start date?
You have 60 days to complete your challenge. If you do not, then your temporary Diamond status expires on July 31st.
Old May 25, 2013, 3:20 pm

Thanks...got it...

So if I fail to complete the challenge, I still should be able to get the Diamond benefits till July 31st right although it will not count toward my challenge stays?

Originally Posted by hailstorm
You have 60 days to complete your challenge. If you do not, then your temporary Diamond status expires on July 31st.
Old May 26, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: ual(1K), dl(plat), spg(plat), swa, hh, Hyatt(diamond)
OK, sorry If I missed this somewhere.

I did the trial, got my 4 suite upgrades and completed the trial in about 30 days. 10 of the 12 nights were in comped suites anyway, so I didn't have a chance to burn any upgrades.

question, I will go over the 50 nights in the next 2 weeks and I assume Diamond status will be extended to Feb 2015 - Do I receive 4 more upgrades upon crossing the 50 night threshold ?
Old May 26, 2013, 2:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, you will.... But they will post to your account in Feb 2014.
Old May 26, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by nowstime
Thanks...got it...

So if I fail to complete the challenge, I still should be able to get the Diamond benefits till July 31st right although it will not count toward my challenge stays?
Yes, although the challenge is 60 calendar days from the start, they use the end of the month for expiration of your status if you fail the challenge.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:17 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
which means that the suite upgrade must be confirmed on a reservation by then and cannot be changed, although you can certainly sleep in these suites after 2/28.
How long it takes for the diamond upgrade request to get confirmed when the request is done and what is the maximum number of nights can be upgraded in one reservation?
Old May 29, 2013, 10:43 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You need to call... So confirmation is instant.
One upgrade for stays upto 7 nights.
Old May 30, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: All of Them
I got the diamond trial for 60 days because of a couple nice trips the wife and I have planned. We will reach only 8 nights, but Ill hit $20k spend on my hyatt card within the 60 days giving me another 5 days credit. Will this show as 13 nights and thus show me as completing the challenge?
Old May 30, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Richklhs
I got the diamond trial for 60 days because of a couple nice trips the wife and I have planned. We will reach only 8 nights, but Ill hit $20k spend on my hyatt card within the 60 days giving me another 5 days credit. Will this show as 13 nights and thus show me as completing the challenge?
I think that's a "call them and ask" type of question, as I don't think there are very many precedents to a case like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.