Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Montreal REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (leaving 12/18/18 - Doubletree)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2003, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Since I started this thread, I can amend it as well, and I have done just that.

Although I was truyly excited about Hyatt's having taken over a property in Montreal, my enthusiasm has been seriously tempered by reports by Obahsan -- See Page 2 of this thread -- that this property does not comply with the minimum standards we have come to expect from Hyatt.

What's more, my e-mails to various Hyatt personel have yet to be answered, even though more than a day has past since I sent them.

Obasahn's treatment, and my alarm that I may experience the same, have apparently not motivated Hyatt to comment on this matter.

Therefore, it is best to avoid this property until further notice.

----------------------------------------------------------
Just spoke to a GoldPassport rep and she advised that from 12/15/03 onwards, the Wyndham Montreal will be converted to a Hyatt!!

The Wyndham is the semi-official hotel of the Montreal JazzFest, which IMHO, is the best festival of its kind, anywhere, and I have been to many, including, New Orleans, Montreux, Copenhagen, etc.

It is situated right next to the area which is cordoned off for the Montreal JazzFest, and many of the featured musicians stay there during the festival. While there, they have been known to have late-night jams which are free.

This is absolutely fabulous news.

The following is taken from the Wyndham website, as I don't know how much longer it will be there!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The Wyndham Montreal is the ideal destination for business or relaxation. This marvelous hotel was the winner in 2002 of the Ulysse Award for the best hotel in Montreal. Hospitality, comfort and convenience promise a memorable stay.

With our recent $25 million renovation, we feature 600 handsomely appointed guest rooms and suites with spectacular views of this dynamic, world-class city. Relax in a guest room full of thoughtful touches like two-line phones. Enjoy classic French fare at Le Café Fleuri. Unwind in our well equipped gym and take a swim in our indoor heated pool adjacent to our beautiful terrace and gardens.

If you need to reach Le Palais du Congres Convention Centre, our underground passage makes it convenient and easy. We're close to the city's best attractions, so be sure to save time to explore. Visit the 150 unique shops and restaurants and adjacent Complexe Desjardins. Stroll along trendy St. Denis and St. Laurent streets, where fashion is everything. And don't forget Chinatown, Old Montreal and the Place des Arts. There is direct access to the subway and Montreal's underground city.

When Montreal is your destination, the Wyndham Montreal is here to bid you the warmest of "bienvenues." </font>

TripAdvisor has a large number of reviews on this hotel, and they are largely quite positive.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jun 17, 2004 at 3:02 pm Reason: Change in Hyatt's Attitude.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 5:09 pm

At the risk of bursting a balloon or two, my experience is that this is neither a good property nor a good location.

This was orginally the Meridien hotel, then became a Wyndham. It's at the corner of Ste Catherine and Jeanne-Mance, across the street from the Place des Arts. It's about 6 or 8 blocks from Vieux Montreal, another 6 or 8 blocks to the better shops on Ste Catherine. I've never found good restaurants in the immediate vicinity, although the hotel is within a couple of blocks of Chinatown, where several restaurants offer very good value (if not outstanding food). The hotel is directly across the street from a metro station (good), but it's on a particularly seedy stretch of r. Ste Catherine (bad). It's attached to an office complex with retail shops on the ground floor, so you need to go up a flight to the lobby (escalator or elevator, I forget which).

Unless there's an event at the hotel or in the immediate vicinity (Jazz festival, International Film Festival), I find that Montreal has at least 6 or 8 better choices in the same class.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have to disagree. In the 10 times that I have visited Montreal, I think anyone would be hard pressed to describe any part of the downtown area as seedy.

Second, as noted, it is perfect for the many festivals that Montreal holds over the summer, and some in the early spring, like the Hi-Lights festival, which I believe to take place at the Place des Arts, as well.

Third, it is extremely close to Chinatown, and no more than a 15-20 min walk to either the Old Port district, or the Plateau Montreal District, not to mention the McGill area.

With the Renaissance Montreal's passing, there is no better hotel in the area, as the Courtyard, 4 Points, nor the Delta holding a candle to it.

Fourth, aside from the SpringHill Suites which is in a great location, and the InterContinental on the edge of the Old Port, it's location far surpasses that of the Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont or Sheraton (unless you are principally on buisness).

Finally, as I noted above, many individuals have rated this a quite good hotel, Wideman aside, and it was awarded some sort of award for hospitality last year.

With Hyatt's taking it over, its service credo to its guests cannot help but improve.

Final tip.

Assuming that the GP rep gave me accurate information, I have already booked via Wyndham reservations, various dates for the property, with the expectation that the rates will be honored by Hyatt.

I don't know if Hyatt's rates will be lower or higher than on their website, but this property does participate in the Entertainment Discount program, and therefore, you can get this hotel for $135 CDN, if available, which whacks out to a little more than $100 US.

That is quite a bargain in my book, especially during high demand times.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
A little OT, but even though I am loyal to Hyatt, in Montreal the Hotel St Paul [www.hotelstpaul.com] is where I stay .. uber cool, nice location, and fantastic restuarant.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Hyatt Reflags Luxurious Downtown Montreal Hotel

Business Editors/Travel Writers

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 15, 2003--

Hyatt Regency Montreal Becomes Fourth Hyatt Hotel in Canada; Renovations to Begin Immediately

Chicago-based Hyatt Hotels Corporation announced today it is assuming management of the 607-room hotel located in downtown Montreal, effective immediately through its subsidiary Moncon Management, Inc. The hotel will be renamed Hyatt Regency Montreal and undergo a multi-million dollar makeover. Renovations will begin immediately and proceed over next year and will focus on all areas of the hotel, including guest rooms, function space, food and beverage facilities and lobby.

One of the more noticeable changes will be the inclusion of a Regency Club lounge on the 12th floor.

CNL Hospitality Properties, Inc. has acquired ownership of the hotel. It is Hyatt's 209th property worldwide and the fourth Hyatt in Canada. Hyatt Regency Montreal joins Hyatt Regency Vancouver, Hyatt Regency Calgary and Park Hyatt Toronto as part of the Hyatt's of Canada.

"We are excited to have the opportunity to enter another important market within Canada," said Ed Rabin, president Hyatt Hotels Corporation. "The property is consistent with Hyatt's upscale offerings and is an excellent addition to our brand. It also furthers our relationship with CNL, one that we expect will grow in the future."

The hotel is centrally located in downtown Montreal, just 15 minutes from the airport. It is connected by underground passage to Le Palais des Congres Convention Center, as well as Chinatown, Old Montreal and the Place des Arts (Performing Arts Centre). Complexe Desjardins, a retail and office complex, is adjacent to the hotel and offers over 120 stores and restaurants. Handsomely appointed guest rooms and 34 suites offer spectacular views of the city and, once completed, the Regency Club will offer exclusive services.

The 12-story hotel also caters to group and conference attendees with 34,000 square feet of meeting space. Guests can relax at the indoor swimming pool, whirlpool, garden terrace or take advantage of fitness facilities. Additionally, Hyatt Regency Montreal features a restaurant and lobby bar.</font>
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:28 pm

Didn't there used to be a Hyatt Regency in Montreal, many years ago? I seem to recall that it was the hotel near Place Victoria that's now called the Delta.

Ed
Old Dec 16, 2003, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
There was a Hyatt in Montreal - this is their second try. Problem now is that the property itself is a bit tired and there are a number of very good recent entrants - someone mentioned the St. Paul, but there are other boutiques like the Germain or the Gault or new business hotels like the Sofitel (which has a better location). Let's see what they can do with the old Wyndham, which was primarily a conference hotel. On the other hand, it now means a chance to get FFN stays relatively easily (at least for me).
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:22 am

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
i stayed here on a PL rate a couple days ago. first the front desk couldn't find the reservation, then after 15 minutes of waiting around another clerk finally found the pre-printed packet with the keys which they didn't bother to check in the first place. the clerk went to get the packet, but as he was handing the breakfast coupon to me, he noticed i was on the PL rate and said i shouldn't have gotten it. he went inside to check with the manager and then came out to said that i wasn't entitled to the diamond benefits i didn't bother arguing as i wasn't going to use the coupons anyways.

i was given a smoking room which i didn't notice because i have a very bad nose but when my wife called a couple hours later to switch rooms was told that there were no more rooms available. the smell wasn't too bad though, my wife has asthma and she wasn't bothered by it after we turned on the A/C full blast.

the room is ok, the carpet is worn, the bathtub is small and the showerhead is installed off-center, a very unusual placement if you ask me.

FYI, the pool is closed until july 9th while undergoing renovations. the gym was closed when i was there ($13.80/day to access the YMCA two blocks away) and high-speed internet access was broken too.

all-in-all not a pleasant stay.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:32 am

$17 Million Renovation

Now I know why we're getting PL bargains

Hyatt Website

Hyatt Regency Montréal is undergoing a major renovation program, commencing in April 2004, to be completed by May 2005. All rooms will be redone, featuring pillow-top mattresses, duvets, all in a contemporary design. Bathrooms will also be redone.

Our public areas will be undergoing renovations as well, including our lower lobby, restaurant, lounge, and pool area (closed for renovations from April to July 2004). We will be adding a Regency Club Lounge and updating our meeting space.

For more information, please contact our Sales Department at 514-982-1234.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 11:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohbahsan
i stayed here on a PL rate a couple days ago. first the front desk couldn't find the reservation, then after 15 minutes of waiting around another clerk finally found the pre-printed packet with the keys which they didn't bother to check in the first place. the clerk went to get the packet, but as he was handing the breakfast coupon to me, he noticed i was on the PL rate and said i shouldn't have gotten it. he went inside to check with the manager and then came out to said that i wasn't entitled to the diamond benefits i didn't bother arguing as i wasn't going to use the coupons anyways.

i was given a smoking room which i didn't notice because i have a very bad nose but when my wife called a couple hours later to switch rooms was told that there were no more rooms available. the smell wasn't too bad though, my wife has asthma and she wasn't bothered by it after we turned on the A/C full blast.

the room is ok, the carpet is worn, the bathtub is small and the showerhead is installed off-center, a very unusual placement if you ask me.

FYI, the pool is closed until july 9th while undergoing renovations. the gym was closed when i was there ($13.80/day to access the YMCA two blocks away) and high-speed internet access was broken too.

all-in-all not a pleasant stay.

Well, Obahsan, I will give you an update and fill the rest of the readership in on this matter.

Since my private e-mail to you discussing my outrage over your treatment, not only because you were a Diamond guest at the Hyatt Montreal, as well as a valued member of this community, I sent off a number of e-mails to various individuals who might assist in this matter, as I, too, have an upcoming stay at this property, and I am not going to put up with such crappy treatment.

Approx. 23 hours ago, I sent both Julia, as well as the hotel's sales manager an e-mail discussing your misadventures and how I did not want a repeat of same for my own upcoming stay at that property, especially since my wife also is an asthmatic, but I am not leaving anything to chance -- especially since they have been given fair notice by me as my stay is not for another 3 weeks.

I also sent an e-mail to both Hyatt Customer Service, as well as a manager who knows the manager of the Hyatt Montreal (whose e-mail I do not have) essentially a copy of my preceding e-mail to Julia, et. al., asking that I receive a call from the hotel in regards to my complaint.

To date, the only thing that I have received is the standard e-mail acknowledgement by Hyatt Customer Service that my e-mail to them had been received, nothing more.

I would have thought by now that I would have heard something from somebody, but that is not the case, and hence, my decision to go public with this imbroglio. I am surprised that I have not heard from someone as yet, and this episode -- your treatment and the non-responsiveness of those who are aware of my concerns relative to my upcoming stay -- is fast diminishing the high regard that I heretofore had with respect to the Hyatt Gold Passport program.

I will keep you all posted as to a resolution -- if any -- as to my issues.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

In response to my second email to Julia -- and others -- with respect to the above, I have been informed by Julia, within the last 1/2 hour, that the GM of the Hyatt Montreal is to contact me about my concerns.

I will let you all know the outcome of my conversation with him, as well as how long it takes him to actually contact me.

NJ
Old Jul 7, 2004, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Question What Diamond Expectations At This Property?

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency Montreal this upcoming weekend and was wondering if any Diamond member who has stayed there recently can comment on what to expect. Although suite upgrades are not a diamond privilege, I understand they have 34 different suites according to their website. Has anybody had any luck getting any one of these? Also, what kind of Diamond amenity, if any, do they provide? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by mastermc54
I am staying at the Hyatt Regency Montreal this upcoming weekend ....
The Montreal Jazz Festival is this weekend, one of the biggest tourist weekends of the year in the city. I wouldn't think that experiences at other times of year would be especially representative of what you might expect this weekend.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:51 am

Please let us know of the outcome. What was the resolution about Diamond members at the hotel?

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
In response to my second email to Julia -- and others -- with respect to the above, I have been informed by Julia, within the last 1/2 hour, that the GM of the Hyatt Montreal is to contact me about my concerns.

I will let you all know the outcome of my conversation with him, as well as how long it takes him to actually contact me.

NJ
Old Jul 20, 2004, 3:42 pm

Anyone had any experiences yet with the suite upgrades? We'll be staying there in September and will be using a Complimentary Suite Upgrade and we are both Diamond. Wondering what the chances are of getting a suite (it will be a weekend) and, if not, what the RC is like and how confident we should be that we can at least get that. Very mixed reviews of the regular rooms on Trip Advisor and other places. It appears there are 22 junior suites, 9 executive and 3 presidential. Since I assume our best hope is for a junior suite does anyone know what those are like?

Last edited by upgrader; Jul 20, 2004 at 3:45 pm Reason: incorrect status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.