Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Technically, those are subways, not trains.
... and where is the difference? As far as I remember the subways in Tokyo don't run by horse and carriage. You will find enough examples where JR and the other "train" companies operate their trains into the subway systems and vice versa. Technically and practically it hardly makes any difference if you ride by subway, local JR line or private railway operator.
To stay on topic of the thread: IMHO the nearest train station to the PH is the Toei Tocho-mae station, which is the one I was using last time when staying at the PH.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Technically, those are subways, not trains.
Duh
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger
IMHO the nearest train station to the PH is the Toei Tocho-mae station, which is the one I was using last time when staying at the PH.
And as you say, Oedo Line Shinjuku Station is pretty close. We preferred using it for making other connections (although of course you could use Tocho-mae station and change at Shinjuku), and I think it might be closest is trying to stay underground as much as possible to stay out of the rain. Oedo Line Shinjuku Station is also the Keio Line "train" station.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by shonanroger
... and where is the difference? As far as I remember the subways in Tokyo don't run by horse and carriage. You will find enough examples where JR and the other "train" companies operate their trains into the subway systems and vice versa. Technically and practically it hardly makes any difference if you ride by subway, local JR line or private railway operator.
I don't recall (but I may be wrong) is seeing subway through-trains that connect to JR, only to other private train lines. And it does make a difference if you're using a JR Pass.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 5:44 am

Rather than differentiate between and "trains" and "subways", which are merely one type of train, it would more relevant to differentiate among Metro, Toei, JR, Keio, etc. Then of course, as Pickles has pointed out, it certainly can make a difference. And it is true that the PH is far less convenient using only JR (or only Metro for that matter), than when using Toei. A combination Toei/Metro pass has always worked very well for us.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
I don't recall (but I may be wrong) is seeing subway through-trains that connect to JR, only to other private train lines.
The JR Saikyo Line runs to Osaki Station, then continues through as the Rinkai Line, run by Tokyo Waterfront Area Rapid Transit, on through to Shin Kiba Station (so this information is actually somewhat relevant to this topic, as one method of getting from Shinjuku to Tokyo Disney Resort)

It's mostly underground, but not technically considered part of the Tokyo Subway System.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Pickles
I don't recall (but I may be wrong) is seeing subway through-trains that connect to JR, only to other private train lines. And it does make a difference if you're using a JR Pass.
Not relevant for the access to the PH, but the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line interoperates with the JR East Joban Line.
True for the JR Pass, but it's quite inconvenient trying to get around in Tokyo and surroundings only by JR.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
All of this train (and subway) station information is probably helpful for frequent Tokyo visitors, but may intimidate first-timers. For the less experienced, what's most important is that the trains are clean, route maps are easy to understand (and in English) and trains come unbelievably often on most lines - during the day, sometimes every 2 minutes!

The train and subway management system is an engineering marvel, and has made Tokyo a very livable city.
super-mileage-fan likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
Cherry Blossom season, kids are off school. Certainly not the best time, but shouldn't be impossible if you're flexible.
the first one reason. current cash rates are $1000+/night, and this makes me think that I can as well look elsewhere to use my free night certs. Makes sense from business point of view if I was Hyatt revenue mang.

May I have a question to Hyatt SMEs: is this a no-go to book PHT or Andaz in April 2018 01-03, or it's the matter persistent trying? Thank you
Old Aug 19, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
the first one reason. current cash rates are $1000+/night, and this makes me think that I can as well look elsewhere to use my free night certs. Makes sense from business point of view if I was Hyatt revenue mang.

May I have a question to Hyatt SMEs: is this a no-go to book PHT or Andaz in April 2018 01-03, or it's the matter persistent trying? Thank you
You'll need to keep trying and hopefully get lucky. I was able to book Andaz during peak Cherry Blossom week but availability didn't open up until much closer to the date.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonykline1947

Make refundable backup plans and keep checking. Availability tends to open up as the date in question nears, especially during the final weeks leading up to it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I was able to get rooms using Hyatt Visa Free Certs / points for Sakura this year which opened up a couple days before.

However: The rooms they gave my buddy as a Diamond were a joke. With me they didn't even try because after roughly 35 stays here I'm pretty particular about the rooms. I don't necessarily need a suite unless I know they are available but the Park Deluxe Kind (Corner Room) is the minimum.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
However: The rooms they gave my buddy as a Diamond were a joke. With me they didn't even try because after roughly 35 stays here I'm pretty particular about the rooms. I don't necessarily need a suite unless I know they are available but the Park Deluxe Kind (Corner Room) is the minimum.
You mean a Park View King?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
However: The rooms they gave my buddy as a Diamond were a joke.
Let me guess, your "buddy" got exactly the room he booked?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:49 am

Excited to stay here soon. Unfortunately, the suite for the upgrade cert is not available on the 2nd night my four nights

Probably will end the year with 4 unused upgrade certs. Anyone have luck using it for half the stay? Can't break up the stay due to Citi 4th night free benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.