Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Tokyo REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Hmm I keep hearing people say that. I have never stayed there myself only at the Andaz and Grand Hyatt when in Tokyo. I'm considering spending a few days in Tokyo this summer and was going to book the Park Hyatt, but I'm wondering if I should just go back to the Andaz.
I've never stayed at the Andaz but have checked out the inside before. IMO, the Andaz is a superior experience but it's worth going to PHT once, simply because it's one of the crown jewels in the Hyatt portfolio and its quality lives up to its reputation, despite the dated decor.

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Hard to scream 90s when the hotel was not open then.

The suite we were in had a brand new carpet in the living area.
PHT opened in 1994, along with the rest of Shinjuku Park Tower.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Hard to scream 90s when the hotel was not open then.
I took my first trip to PHT in 1997.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I stand corrected. for some reason I had thought it opened in 2000. So I guess it does look "so 90s", whatever that is supposed to mean.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:06 am

I stand corrected. for some reason I had thought it opened in 2000. So I guess it does look "so 90s", whatever that is supposed to mean.
Even if it had opened in 2000, it's not like 90's inspired design was suddenly replaced by 00 design on 1 Jan 2000.

IMHO PHT does look 90's and dated. And not in a good way at all.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:32 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nollbit
Even if it had opened in 2000, it's not like 90's inspired design was suddenly replaced by 00 design on 1 Jan 2000.

IMHO PHT does look 90's and dated. And not in a good way at all.
I agree. I found the hotel extremely dated for the position it supposedly holds in the Hyatt chain.

I consider it way overrated. I've stayed in most Park Hyatts around the World and this property seems to ride on the fame of the movie (which I had not heard of prior to my stay) than the hard product.

The soft product, like most of Japan has good service but nothing exemplary. I would also prefer electronic room keys for security rather than a Tiffany keychain.

Last edited by m0hamed; May 14, 2017 at 2:39 am
Old May 14, 2017, 4:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There was an announcement in Sept 2014 that a designer was chosen to do a full redesign.... never to be heard of again.
Old May 14, 2017, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTW1
There was an announcement in Sept 2014 that a designer was chosen to do a full redesign.... never to be heard of again.
Piet Boon. Some of his books are still found in Club on the Park.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know, it was featured prominently here in NL..... the plan was that he would make a proposition for a full redecoration. But that probably didn't go so well, I haven't seen anything in the last year about it. And nothing is on his website anymore.

Apparently he is now doing the new PH in Hanoi.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Javelin
PHT opened in 1994, along with the rest of Shinjuku Park Tower.
I stayed there for the first time in April 1995. At the time it was probably the best city hotel in the planet.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I agree. I found the hotel extremely dated for the position it supposedly holds in the Hyatt chain.

I consider it way overrated.

The soft product, like most of Japan has good service but nothing exemplary. I would also prefer electronic room keys for security rather than a Tiffany keychain.
Back when it was new it was a groundbreaking hotel that inspired the design of all other hotels on the top of mixed use skyscrapers to follow. It was truly exceptional before it became dated. Its heyday lasted until around 2009~ 2010 due to the global economy and money-no-object guests shifting to newer hotels in more convenient locations.

It still will always have a special place in my heart, as I am sure many people who were lucky enough to experience it as its best would agree. Very fond memories.

I wouldn't worry about the keys re security. If a key is ever unaccounted for, I am sure that the engineer immediately replaces the lock core before the room is occupied by the next guest. This is Japan after all.
Old May 14, 2017, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Back when it was new it was a groundbreaking hotel that inspired the design of all other hotels on the top of mixed use skyscrapers to follow. It was truly exceptional before it became dated. Its heyday lasted until around 2009~ 2010 due to the global economy and money-no-object guests shifting to newer hotels in more convenient locations.

It still will always have a special place in my heart, as I am sure many people who were lucky enough to experience it as its best would agree. Very fond memories.

I wouldn't worry about the keys re security. If a key is ever unaccounted for, I am sure that the engineer immediately replaces the lock core before the room is occupied by the next guest. This is Japan after all.
Is the hotel resting on its laurels? Absolutely. But what magnificent laurels they are!
Old May 16, 2017, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Is the hotel resting on its laurels? Absolutely. But what magnificent laurels they are!
It certainly was such an extraordinary hotel that it could do so, but I do not feel that really is the case. I think management and staff have the best of intentions, and are trying. The hotel has just fallen victim to a huge influx of competition over the past decade, which unfortunately coincided with global economic downturn.

Money-no-object guests now choose other hotels that are newer and more convenintly located for them. The market for PHT has shifted somewhat more toward domestic travelers, likely booking discounted/package rates through travel agencies. It would not surprise me if higher end Chinese package tourists are now increasing staying as well.

It used to be a sumptuous hotel where one felt on top of the world. It exuded tasteful elegance in every way, and service was just perfect. Completely over the top in terms of anticipating guest needs and getting every detail just right, but at the same time was discreet and unobtrusive.

The hotel still tries to maintain that level of service for regular guests, but it used to be that every guest felt that magic.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It used to be a sumptuous hotel where one felt on top of the world. It exuded tasteful elegance in every way, and service was just perfect. Completely over the top in terms of anticipating guest needs and getting every detail just right, but at the same time was discreet and unobtrusive.

The hotel still tries to maintain that level of service for regular guests, but it used to be that every guest felt that magic.
I'm a fairly regular guest, but this year I've felt more magic at Hyatt Regency Osaka.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I'm a fairly regular guest, but this year I've felt more magic at Hyatt Regency Osaka.
Well, that says it all really. Although I suspect you are treated well at HR Osaka, it is unfortunate that PHT and HR Osaka are even compared in the same sentence, and not even favorably for PHT at that...
Old May 16, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
We've stayed 3 times over the past 18 months, the latest 7 nights at GW, and we have few issues with the service, with the exception that we'd be really happy if they allowed some substitutions in the room service American Breakfast set. We certainly do not find the decor dated, so I guess we're 90s type people. If I were to change anything it would be in some very hard product: a larger shower booth, more room around the vanity sinks, a larger closet, and mirror windows so they could remove some of the privacy latices. None of that is going to happen soon.

One upside (for us at least) of the loss of well-heeled clientele to the trendier competition is that is has put a lot of downward pressure on rates at PH. On our recent stay we paid 51K++ yen while seeing rates of 80K++ at Andaz. We'll be back at PH in Sep at a rate of 48K++. Unfortunately much of the appeal of PH for us is from Dia/Glob status: we love room service breakfast (contrary to some posts that is not a standard Dia/Glob perk at Tokyo Andaz) and being able to use a suite upgrade. All of that would of course be available to anyone for a price, but regrettably that price would be out of our budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.