Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2003, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
I have been here 5 different times and have always gotten a full Ocean view room. One time I got a townhouse and one time a sutie (the honeymoon suite, and it wasnt my honeymoon). The last stay was a few days ago, and I got room 102, which is the Pt. Lobos Suite.

it has 3 fireplaces, tri-level,great views of pt. lobos, living area, eating area huge bathroom w/ great view from the sunken bath tub. A huge bed, stereo and DVD player, 2 TVs, small patio areas off the bedroom and living room etc.....

Great Place and great view.

Have a great time..
Old May 10, 2003, 5:31 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by voyagetravel:
As a diamond, how have upgrades been for weekend vs. weekday stays? We may use some free nights this summer and are guessing that we might get a much nicer room during the week.

[This message has been edited by voyagetravel (edited 05-10-2003).]
</font>
I found it quite difficult to get this property on weekends using the FFNights. Eventually, I called the Diamond desk and they arranged my stay for me. The best they could do (at short notice) was Sunday and Monday...so weekends might be tough. In terms of upgrades, we were certainly very pleased with our room, but read above post on for additional experiences!
Enjoy
kelly786
Old May 11, 2003, 1:58 am

Programs: AA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, FPC lifetime Plat, Kohls MVP
All 5 of my stays were on Sunday night (all I could get), all FFN. I did get a 2 night stay starting Sat in April, but had to cancel.

If you use FFN for non-resort Hyatts during weekdays, there is a 3 day minimum. But maybe sometimes they waive this for Diamonds.

They are selling the townhouses as part of the Hyatt resort, so it will be harder to get upgrades in the future.

If you are interrested in purchasing a townhouse, you should act soon.......
Old Feb 6, 2004, 11:26 am

Programs: Bonvoyed LT Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
We were there a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get an UG to a suite, but that was fine with us.

Not quite sure of things since I regained Diamond status the day we checked in. Had unknowingly earned it the previous night at the SF PH, so I didn't expect nor request anything. We did get a very nice fruit & cheese platter & a bottle of Robert Talbott Vineyards Merlot which was very nice and unexpected as amenity.

Had dinner at the Pacific Edge restaruant. Very good, but service seemed to be a little pretentious from the hostess and waiter. Although food was good, presentation was lacking in the detail you'd expect & it appeared many of the dishes were inspired by the French Laundry, but at a "junior varsity" level. Of course it was at less than half the price of the FL........

Huge wine list, which they seem to pride themselves in, but since your meal courses may vary so much, it might be better to pair with flights of wines-by-the-glass (which can get quite expensive) if there are only two of you.

I would agree with earlier posts that a major plus is the free bike availablity and proximity to Point Lobos.

It appears all rooms have nice views. Maybe next time we'll request a room upgrade....
Old Feb 6, 2004, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Its more like a condo or apartment complex stuck on the side of a hill than a "hotel". The buildings are older and adapted to topography, so there are many structural differences. As Diamonds I believe we were given an upgraded two-room accomodation on the end of the top tier (not that I can remember the number), but I don't think there can be a bad room. There is not a Regency Club, but we were given breakfast coupons for the "non-exotic" second restraunt that covered about anyting on the menu. The food was extraordinary, and the only problem was choosing. (Unlike many Hyatt breakfast coupons, gratuities were not covered). Perhaps the best servers I've ever seen. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
I wrote the following back in July 03, but never got around to posting it. Perhaps a little dated by now ... but hopefully useful.

=========

Highlands Inn -- A GREAT Experience

The Highlands Inn (a Park Hyatt in Carmel Highlands, CA) is a property at which my spouse and I have always wanted to stay. So when I end up with certificates for 3 free nights at Hyatt “Elite” properties (of which the Highlands Inn is one) it looked like a golden opportunity. Fortunately, it turned out to be even better -- it was a “diamond” opportunity, as described below.

Background
As part of a now-ended rewards program with National Rental Car, I got 3 Hyatt Stay Certificates each good for one night at “Elite” properties. But then my spouse and I kept having trouble finding 3 consecutive days when we could both get away at the same time. In mid April, I finally just made the decision that “we gotta schedule this”, and (to my great surprise) I was able to get award reservations for the nights of 3, 4, and 5 July 2003 at the Highlands Inn!

I was a bit worried in that each certificate had an expiration date of 31 May 2003 on it. But each also had the statement “Expiration date void where prohibited by law, including California”. Since we live in California and the Highlands Inn is in California, I figured there should be no problem. And to make a long story short, the certificates were accepted with absolutely no questions or issues.

From FT, I had learned that Hilton Diamonds who called Hyatt Gold Passport and faxed in proof of their Hilton status could get comped to Hyatt Diamond. So bingo, I became Hyatt Diamond, and had that fact appended to my reservation.

Then the fateful day of check-in: I called 1-800-CHECKIN very shortly after 9 AM to see what might be available in terms of an upgrade and to check in. Gave the CSR my confirmation number and was politely told: “I’m sorry, sir. Your reservation has been cancelled.” WHAT!?!?!?!, I responded. But the story has a happy ending. Turns out they had already processed an upgrade for us. In order to do so, they had moved the reservation from the regular Hyatt reservation system to the timeshare reservation system (the Highlands Inn is now a Hyatt Vacation Club timeshare property). So the reservation had in fact been cancelled in one reservation system, but was definitely there in the other reservation system. After the abject panic subsided, I was very, very pleased that they had automatically upgraded my award reservation.

The Stay
The hotel is built on many levels into a steep hillside (mountain side?) just above California Highway 1, next to the Pacific Ocean. (Check out the “Slide Show” under “Hotel Information” at http://www.highlands-inn.com/ or http://www.highlandsinn.hyatt.com/pr...ow/index.jhtml ). The view from the cocktail lounge and Pacific’s Edge restaurant in the main building is breath-taking (assuming the marine layer [a/k/a fog] is not in or too thick). All the rooms have a patio with a garden view or a balcony with a full or partial ocean view. My understanding in that just within the last year they have completed renovating the entire property (all the units and the common areas), and I would say it shows it.

Check-in was most friendly and cordial. Since the Highlands Inn does not have a Regency/Grand Club, we were given a coupon for Continental Breakfast for two for each day. The coupons could be used in either the California Market restaurant or for room service. If you wanted something other than the Continental Breakfast, each coupon was worth $25 (!) toward whatever you ordered. Over the three mornings, the price of our a-la-carte breakfasts averaged about $30 plus tip each day. So the coupons where certainly appreciated. All the food was excellent to outstanding. The service was very friendly and courteous, but a little erratic in delivery times and servicing. We also had one dinner at the California Market during our stay: It was excellent as well, and the service was better. Regrettably, the tasting menu at the Pacific’s Edge did not have any thing that my spouse really wanted to taste (she doesn’t eat red meat), so we have no report on that acclaimed restaurant.

Also at check-in, we were given a “Diamond Amenity” card from which to select one from Column A and one from Column B. Column A included a bottle of red or white house wine (our selection) and some other things (have forgotten what they were). From Column B, we selected the cheese and fruit board (have forgotten what the other choices were). After unpacking, we went walking for about an hour. Upon our return, we found the white wine chilling in the ice bucket and a butcher-block tray covered with a very ample quantity and variety of cheeses, crackers, grapes, and strawberries.

The room itself was #217 (a “Spa Suite”), an end unit on the top floor of its building. We really liked the idea of having only one “neighbor” on one side and none above. I didn’t pace it off, but I would guess the overall unit was more than 25 ft by 25 ft (well over 600 square feet) with a redwood balcony that was as wide as the unit and extended out about 10 to 12 feet. When checking in through 1-800-CHECKIN, the view from the balcony was described as “partial ocean view”, and that was a very fair description: Lots of beautiful vegetation to look at, with a major “cut-out” where you could see the ocean. A full ocean view would have been nice, but all things considered, we were NOT complaining.

Upon walking in to the unit, there was a huge coat closet on the right and a full kitchen to the left. Straight ahead was the living room with a very comfortable easy chair and a sofa bed surrounding a coffee table. Angled in the left corner of the room was a wood-burning fireplace (with wood). The far end of the room included a sliding glass door onto the balcony. That describes the left half of the unit.

The right half of the unit was about 1/3 bedroom and 2/3 bathroom. The bedroom included a king-size bed, two end tables, a clock radio with a CD player (with two peaceful-sounding CDs next to it), and a second sliding door on to the balcony. A good-sized TV was enclosed in an armoire that could be rotated to face the bed or into the living room. Lots of cable channels, but no free premium channels (as if you needed them).

The bathroom included a two-person sized Jacuzzi spa tub, adequately-sized vanity/sink, shower stall with two shower heads (neat!), a separate room for the toilet, and a clothes closet. About the only thing that we (or should I say, my spouse) could complain about in the entire unit was the mediocre lighting over the vanity/sink (how many times have I heard that before in other hotels!)

One of the more unique features of the unit was the set of three sliding wooden panels that could be used to close off the bedroom from the living room plus three other sliding wooden panels that could be used to close off the bedroom from the bathroom. Way cool!

And I almost forgot to mention: Both the living room and bedroom had vaulted ceilings.

We took a quick look at their fitness facility (small, but adequate), but did use one of the Inn’s outdoor hot tubs that was located very near our room.

Upon check out, I made a point of telling the people at the desk how very much we appreciated how well they treated Diamonds.

Other Random Information
Since we have been to the Monterey/Carmel area about once every other year for 20+ years, we didn’t spend a lot of time sightseeing. However, we did go to the Point Lobos State Park for the first time. Great and beautiful and not too-stressful hiking/walking.

We also played a round of twilight golf at Pacific Grove Municipal Golf (only $20/person!!! plus cart). The back nine (along the ocean) is almost as magnificent as Pebble Beach -- but at a MUCH more affordable price. And you know about hazards like sand traps and water? Well, this course adds deer. Yep, bucks, does, fawns -- all totally oblivious to their risk of being hit by a golf ball. Another very unique feature of this course is the rough on that magnificent back nine: Its major component is ice plant. And a ball hit into an area covered by ice plant is HARD to find, let me tell you.

Summary
As I think you can gather, we highly recommend the Highlands Inn and a long weekend (or more) in the Monterey/Carmel area.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 11:22 pm

Park Hyatt Carmel Questions

So one day my father got a letter in the mail for a timeshare offer where they gave us a Spa Suite(or two level townhouse which I requested) for $90 dollars a night. I looked online and the same room was going for around$250 dollars a night if not more. And the deal includes a gift card to be used at the restaurants on sight or for a spa package.

So my Qs to you are
1. Did I do good by requesting the bi-level Townhouse ocean view?
2.The resort is listed as an AAA 4 star what is the difference between a 5 star resort(Four Seasons) and a 4 star. From the photos it's hard to tell the difference.
3.Has anyone stayed in a Spa Suite or Bi Level Town House.What was your impressions? Is the kitchen a full one with stove,refrigerator etc?
4.How is the pool? Is it deep and heated enough? We're going in June.

So all in all I think I scored a good deal. I reserved it for three nights. I shall write a report. But your comments on the dining at the Park Hyatt Higlands Inn in Carmel and other info and experiences would be most appreciated.

Can one compare Park Hyatt to the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton? The PH looks very luxurious.

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 1:02 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
$90.....Good Deal....But Don't Expect 4 Stars...

Originally Posted by danielonn
....$90 dollars a night. ..includes a gift card to be used at the restaurants on sight or for a spa package...

So my Qs to you are
1. Did I do good by requesting the bi-level Townhouse ocean view?
2.The resort is listed as an AAA 4 star...
3.Has anyone stayed in a Spa Suite or Bi Level Town House.What was your impressions? Is the kitchen a full one with stove,refrigerator etc?

...scored a good deal. I reserved it for three nights. I shall write a report. But your comments on the dining at the Park Hyatt Higlands Inn in Carmel and other info and experiences would be most appreciated.

Can one compare Park Hyatt to the Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton? The PH looks very luxurious.

Thanks.
It's a severely overrated property. Friendly (but sadly very incompetent) staff. The staff there are "used to receiving positive feedback" (their words when answering a complaint) so they answer complaints with smiles and no action.

Anyway, $90 is a good deal, one can't even stay at a Holiday Inn these days for that amount. I don't recall an actual physical spa there, but only call in services. I dined at the restaurant and it's adequate for the $$ paid.....(aside, a Catherine, who used to be the RC attendant at the Sacramento Hyatt, now works there and she is very friendly and warm.....probably the ONLY good thing about the property, and the Indian(?) Sommelier at the restaurant too). He was so helpful and knowledgeable with wines that I gifted a bottle of my Ducru-Beaucaillou to him…..I was serving a vertical of D-B…82, 83, 85, and, 86……for my birthday dinner.

Anyway, to answer you questions:

1. Yes, a bi-level townhouse is a very interesting and unique room, you did good. All rooms have oceanview, so that designation is moot......be aware that the rooms at the back (higher up on the hillside) have limited views due to trees and buildings in front, but still a decent view. The "500" series have the best views, IMO.

2. Not worthy of 4 stars at all.....no modern "luxury" whatsoever. It pretends to be something it is not. Service not worthy of 4 stars. Valets/bellmen are friendly and helpful (and they need to hike to get your luggage to the rooms!)

3. Kitchen has a stove (electric) and a microwave plus a mini fridge under the sink. Think vacation/ski resort type of convenience kitchen. Don't expect to cook a gourmet meal. Suites have sofabeds in case you need the extra bed, as all the bedrooms have only King beds.

4. Pool is pitiful and laughable.....do not even attempt to compare it with any respectable "resort" pool. It's a mini-pool resembling those in a low-end garden apartment complex, surrounded by no more than 20 lounge chairs. Also, no chance of any view from the pool/hot tub (a miniscule one too, 8 person capacity only). All you see from the "pool" area is the balcony of the 500 series rooms.

Anyway, you (and others) may have different opinions, but myself and Pickles are not fans of this property. You might want to do a search.....

Comparing this "pile" (credit Pickles) to FS and R-C is an insult to both and even to the PH name. This property is NOT worthy of the Park designation. If you have stayed at Paris, Milan, Tokyo, and Goa Park Hyatts prepare to be disappointed by this "Park".

But then again, it has its historic and rustic "charm" and an amazing view....those are all I would say are this hotel's selling points.....calling this "pile" a luxury hotel is a perfect example of the misuse of the word "luxury."

The other issues that completely put me off were: dishonest staff, staff who cannot take ownership of fault, and lack of action to address fault. I had plan a birthday weekend getaway last November there and dumped $1200 at the restaurant, what do you know, they said my $300 AAA rate booked online was too "low" to be eligible for points (had the asterisk) at check out. It took me over a week and raising a HELL of a stink to GP CS and on FT to get it resolved. The hotel blamed GP, claiming that only GP can determine whether a rate is eligible. NOTE: TO THIS DATE I HAVE NOT HAD ANY APOLOGY WHATSOEVER IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM FOR MY INCONVENIENCE.....I HAD TO CHASE AND HUNT THE POINTS DOWN.....the front desk manager Mr. Stefan Lorch basically said he didn't care about me having received my points or not......I hope he's been removed from the property.

All in all, I will NEVER return to this property.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn

Thanks.
I was just there this past weekend on a FFN and the pool is closed. They told me the pool will be closed for a couple of months for a total re-tiling and new plumbing so you might want to call them and ask if it will be open in June. They were sending people to Hyatt Monterey for a pool.
I love the Hyatt Carmel but it's not a Four Seasons. The views are great and for $90/night you can't go wrong. Have fun.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Highland Inn in Carmel

Anyone with feedback on the Highland Inn in Carmel? I have the opportunity to pick up a 1dbrm week in the Hyatt Vacation Club side next April or October 2006 and was wondering if anyone have feedback on which is preferable and the property in general.

Been to Carmel once in 2003 in late Jan and it was rugged and beautiful but not sure there is enough to do for a whole week...
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do a search as some previous posters have said that the amenities and service at the vacation club are not as nice as on the PH side. Certainly my short stay at the PH side a month or so ago was very nice.

There isn't much to do on the property itself, but you could very possibly fill a week in the general area (assuming you have a car), particularly if you are a golfer.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'm going to let you search instead of having me post the link, but my stay at the PH Carmel has to be the most disappointing stay I've ever experienced in any hotel anywhere. I'd say it was worse than my stay at the PH Johannesburg, where my laptop was stolen (you may search for that saga too, but less topical).

The place, in my considered and highly respected (at least by myself, and perhaps by my cat, Smidgen) opinion, is, for the money they charged me, a total, unmitigated dump. Not even the Superfund could rescue this one.

Oh where, oh where, art thou Superfund?
Old Oct 17, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
You will probably have better weather in October compared to April. I stayed at the Vacation Club Memorial Day weekend and it was fun for a few days. However, the units are poorly soundproofed & even though there were only 2 people above us, it sounded like a large group of elephants running back & forth. Some of the vacation club units have views of the parking lot so beware! You do not receive any diamond benefits or stay credits.
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
If you are getting it for "free" using your vacation week anyway, it may be worth a visit for the location only. I'm with Pickles on this one....this place is a dump....the only selling point is the view.

You will have a relaxing week with so much to do around, expecially if you like the outdoors.....just don't expect a Park Tokyo type of service and amenities at this "Park" Hyatt..... (you will know what I mean when you see the "spa" [even private residences have bigger spa tub than this.....] "pool" [even too small for any respectable birds to swim in....])

Enjoy your stay!
Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:22 am

latest timeshare offer

Recently I got a timeshare presentation offer at PH Carmel for $99 (+10.5% tax) and called the reservation line for information. I was mainly interested to know what type of room inventory I'd likely be offered for my date, as this thread has pointed out there's a vast difference in room quality.

The phone rep was a total disaster - he pronounced it "Caramel" instead of Carmel, told me Park Hyatt "Caramel" is a separate property from Highlands Inn, and that they're two miles apart, wouldn't check the availability for my date unless I answer 5 or 6 qualifying questions...

Figuring he was a lost cause, I didn't bother asking him any more questions. I should have turned to FT for help to begin with:

1. Are the timeshare units integrated with the hotel room inventory? Under the timeshare offer, will I be offered a suite depending on the hotel occupancy? (Better chance if lower occupancy?)

2. Will Diamonds be offered free breakfast vouchers? This timeshare includes $50 or $100 dining vouchers and the T&C states that this offer "does not provide Hyatt Gold Passport program benefits or Gold Passport Points in conjunction with this promotional offer," so I assume they won't give me Diamond breakfast vouchers. However, on another thread from my search, someone was given Diamond vouchers, but I can't recall if that was on a FFN, as opposed to a timeshare, stay.

3. How was the actual timeshare presentation? Was it a full 90 minutes? Was it high pressured?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.