Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 8:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jayer
The new Fort Meyers airport terminal was beautiful and hits you with a Florida feel when you get off the plane
It has been a LONG time since we last flew into RSW, we did like the terminal !!

Originally Posted by CWAnderson
I asked about RC or breakfast and they said no. I indicated that I was going to call GP and ask about it and they said "fine". I called GP and they contacted the hotel and apologized...and the hotel sent up some breakfast coupons for a cont. breakfast in the restaurant.
Argh!! Foolish mistake on my part, my first stay as a Diamond and I did not ask about breakfast coupons or RC. I did ask if my Diamond number was in my reservation and was told yes but nothing else (except amenity choice card).

If one is a homemade corned beef hash fan (like me & Mrs Sweet Willie), a restaurant 6 miles up Route 41 Tamiami Trail called Talk of the Town – 19050 S. Tamiami Trail, Ft Myers, serves excellent homemade hash as most restaurants serve pre-made canned hash which is nothing but salt.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The hotel is not in a town nor is it on the ocean. There is no direct road access to the ocean. Rather, you have to drive out of the property to the main road, take it south (or north) a few miles, then take a road over to the ocean. It took one hour to drive from the hotel to the south out to the ocean, up to the north then back to the inland road that would return us to the hotel.
Bonita Beach road is a few miles south of the resort and will allow you to get over to the beaches, which I highly recommend you do, especially to see the sunsets. Along Bonita Beach road is a great market/restaurant to either dine in or pick up from their market some shrimp, stone crab or other delicious treats for the beach.

Rodes Fish Market Restaurant
3756 Bonita Beach Road
Bonita Springs, FL 34134
239-992-4040

Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
The lazy river and other pools at the vacation club are much better...imo.
Agreed, the pools at the resort are not too shabby but Mrs Sweet Willie & I loved the lazy river !!^:-::-: It was easy enough to catch the free shuttle to/from the vacation club or if you wanted you can drive to the club as there are parking spaces right out front.

Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002
The beach had one other person on it when we were there. The tide was really high and the current has real strong so we did not stay long.
From other posts it sounds as if there isn’t much of a beach left, we were not able to get over to see it for ourselves, the tides were VERY low and with a NE wind, it was pushing water out of the bay so the boats couldn’t operate. One day we were told the first boat didn’t leave the resort until 1:45pm.

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Tanglewood is a AAA 4 Diamond award winner....
Darn, I knew that too but simply forgot to dine there !!!

Originally Posted by stephem
The room had floor to ceiling windows and from the balcony you did have a nice view off to the left of the bay and ocean.
We were on the top floor NE side with a nice balcony to sit out on but the balcony faced east so the views were not of the bay/Gulf. Our bathroom had the floor to ceiling windows as well, don’t know if this was due to us being in a corner room or not.

I’m a little confused by the two posts below
Originally Posted by Threy
Make sure to ask for a room not facing the south, all those rooms are very noisy, because the architect was smart enough to place two huge ac units on top of the hall that is below the whole southern side of the property.Even on floor 17 and with closed windows there is a lot of noise !!
The one big negative- the aircon system on the roof of the parking gargage below. It was soooo loud, even 17 floors up. We contemplated asking for a room on the other side of the hotel, but it was late. I would urge anyone staying here to consider a room on one of the other sides of the building. I would have preferred a non-RC floor if necessary.
We faced the north and did see the AC units below, at the time of year we were there it was “cool (70 degrees as high, below 50 at night)” so perhaps the units were not in use or on a very limited basis so there was no noise that we noticed.

But based on the above statements of Threy & stephem, are there large AC units on both sides (north & south) of the building ?

It was pretty much impossible to get service at the pool, so I just walked up to the bar and ordered drinks. Not sure why the service was so poor, it's not like it was all that busy (a few tables having lunch).
Service was very poor at the vacation club in regards to any type of waitstaff, I too simply went up and ordered our drinks/food. When asked where I was sitting, I said by the pool & firepit, the waitress responded, “oh there is a pool waiter but I can bring your food to you” So there was or is waitstaff assigned to the pool, we NEVER saw anyone though. This also was at a VERY slow time with maybe 30 people total in the total pool area.

There is a firepit where they have a fire until 11:30pm but we never made it.

So all in all we enjoyed our stay here, as other posters have said I don’t think I’d stay more than a few days here. Diamond amenities weren’t fully realized, part of that is my fault because I didn’t know to ask (but I still think I should never have to ask, it should just be done).

I don’t think I would want to be at this resort when it is spring break or at another peak time, service was lacking and it would only be compounded by the increased number of people. Plus the pool areas were nice but there were quite a few areas that were sun deprived and I can see some great amount of jockeying for those prime sun spots.

We will return in 2010 just not at a busy time.

We enjoyed our walk at the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corkscrew_Swamp_Sanctuary

--
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is the lazy river shared between the resort and the vacation club? I am trying to understand the relationship between the sister properties.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 5:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by chix
Is the lazy river shared between the resort and the vacation club? I am trying to understand the relationship between the sister properties.
It is located at the vacation club, but its not that far away and you can use it if staying at the hotel.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
After two recent comments about the decreasing quality of the RC, one here by a very trustworthy Hyatt source (peter42) and another one on Tripadvisor, I am contemplating whether or not to make the trip from the east coast in Florida over to Naples, our resort is here is better than expected...

What's up with the RC at Coconut Point, used to be one of the best in the US !
Old Jun 2, 2009, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Back from the more-or-less annual stay. Room and hotel quality still great. Great Diamond upgrade on the room. Grounds beautiful except for nesting attack birds. The boat-out beach needs sand replenishment, but still its a great wading while talking spot. Hate to see the place at full occupancy load, but during the week in the summer its wonderfully empty. Service was wonderful, and they still have the magnificent shrimp wraps in the gift shop.

The not-so-good are the club food and drink offering downgrades. No hot item, and more limited veggie, cheese, and dessert trays. Strictly appetizers. That's a bummer since I don't like getting all dressed up after a day in the water to go down to the proper hotel dining, and the club is usually quieter than the casual family side. I'm old enough my calorie burn rate isn't up to a big plate anyway.

Even worse, limited liquor and none free, and no after-dinner selections at all. I wouldn't bother with the bar at home, but l love to slam down Bailey's in Hyatt Regency Clubs like I really needed it and it was free. Oh, I guess it used to be.

The resort fee is no longer waived for Diamonds.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 2, 2009 at 7:38 pm
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
The changes to the RC are a real backward step and I mailed the GM to that effect and he did reply to my mail. The breakfast service was very boring (had 2 * 3 night stays) abd the only thing that changed was papaya (yum) was replaced by pineapple (yuk). Only went to RC once in the evening as was dead - plenty of cold food. Bf was always full so I guess the limited food choices and no free booze is putting people off in the evening?

Used DELISH and suite upgrade on both occassions but the room rate at first checkout was way out but they did fix all the charges, even if it took 30 minutes. Didn't want to give me another DELISH coupon for next stay - only one per customer!! but persevered.

Tarpon was great, ate there 3 times but wish I had eaten the whole snapper - looked great. Ceviche was OK but not the genuine article. Mains were very good and reasonably priced. Found it tough to use the full $150 on either stay as not big eaters. The Bin End wines were very good value and some nice wines. Mel's Diner which is about 10 minutes away was very nice - simple food and great value

Staff were very, very friendly and helpful. We met a delightful member of staff who was transferring to the Churchill in London so we may see her again next week

Still a great property but RC is a total loss now
Old Dec 31, 2009, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
The changes to the RC are a real backward step and I mailed the GM to that effect and he did reply to my mail. The breakfast service was very boring (had 2 * 3 night stays) abd the only thing that changed was papaya (yum) was replaced by pineapple (yuk).
Don't taunt the board. What did the GM say beyond thanks for the feedback?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: status-less.
After the recent rash of comments about the RC declines I'm seriously considering changing our late Feb. plans. We have 3 FFN nights booked at Coconut Pointe, and I am expecting to be Diamond for the first time by then (had my qualifying stay last night, thank you Next Big Thing!). Our travel plans are relatively flexible - just planning to escape snow for a few days, relax and enjoy some warmth strolling on the beach or on a trail. Should we re-book to Clearwater, Key West or some other South Florida locale instead?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jtaft
After the recent rash of comments about the RC declines I'm seriously considering changing our late Feb. plans. We have 3 FFN nights booked at Coconut Pointe, and I am expecting to be Diamond for the first time by then (had my qualifying stay last night, thank you Next Big Thing!). Our travel plans are relatively flexible - just planning to escape snow for a few days, relax and enjoy some warmth strolling on the beach or on a trail. Should we re-book to Clearwater, Key West or some other South Florida locale instead?
Coconut Point is a very nice property and I highly recommend it for a short stay. I enjoy it and go virtually every year for two or three days; maybe more than once a year. Its not that the club sucks because it does not. Its just that it used to be extraordinary and now its more like fully OK and no more free booze. The Hyatt continental RC breakfast leaves something to be desired after a day or two--like hot food, but that little complaint is not site specific.

Key West is a very different in-town resort-town property and does not have a club, a real beach, or a big pool. I like it too but for a very different experience. Small and hard to get on FFN, but costs more to just book and pay for it.

Clearwater somebody else will have to help you with. I suppose I should put it on my list once DELISH is over and I stop eating my way through the participating resorts.

You might read the FT master threads and the Trip Advisor reviews and decide what you want your Florida trip to be.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 4:25 am
Suspended

Bonita Springs is still fine and superior to the other Hyatt Resorts in FL.

Despite some renovations, Pier 66 still feels like a 1970's property, despite some renovations, Grand Cypress still feels like a 1980's property, however, Coconut Point is a modern property built in the early years of the 2000's, IIRC.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 10:33 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
Bonita Springs is still fine and superior to the other Hyatt Resorts in FL.
at this time, I think Clearwater will give BS a run but of course that remains to be seen.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by jayer
Don't taunt the board. What did the GM say beyond thanks for the feedback?
That was pretty much it - I had made 2 comments about BS - the decline in the RC which he acknowledged and the food and service in Tanglewood (awful) which was followed up by the manager separately. I mentioned to the GM that his property was always on our list when we were in FL, probably averaging 3-4 stays a year but now we would be looking at other Hyatt properties as BS was no longer special. Shame as we stayed at BS since the month it opened.

To be honest we don't spend a lot of time at a hotel as we are out from after breakfast until early evening so the HP there would probably suit us next time
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:30 pm

Programs: status-less.
Appreciate all the good comments. I had read all the review threads but was concerned the RC downgrades were symptomatic of something more widespread. Will stay with Coconut Pointe unless Clearwater turns out to be something special. Thanks!

========== edited 3/25/2010 =========

Reminded by the post below this, I realized I never put up anything about our stay.

We arrived late in the evening after previously calling to try and pre-book a nice room. This was three FFN nights in a row, none paid, so our expectations were not high. At check-in we were told that we had a room on the Club floor but that "it's not a nice one" so they recommended moving us down two floors to give us a "better view". Well, the "better view" was in the middle of the building so really wasn't that exciting. Lots of trees & swamp and you could see the water over to the right. The hotel was very lightly occupied, I was hoping for a view room at the end of the hall. Oh well. None the less, room was fine.

Weather was poor (high of 60 with lots of rain) so we were unable to use any of the outdoor facilities to much extent. RC club put out a nice spread regularly and the service there was excellent. Since we're not big restaurant folks we ate some of the bar food (grouper tenders were tasty) but otherwise noshed at the RC. Drink selection at the downstairs bar was above average; they had multiple drinkable Scotch choices, a rarity. Pours are generous, but at resort prices they should be. Bar entertainment only one night and was only of fair quality. We left after about 30 minutes.

On the one day where the rain stopped for a while I took the boat ride out to the island. It's a nice little ride across the estuary. If you're into sunning and the weather permits, the island is a nice place to do it. If you're a beachcomber, you can circle the island in about 20 minutes. Good shell collecting; found an unbroken sand dollar although clumsy me broke it getting it out of the sand. The island has experienced a lot of erosion and there are sandbags piled everywhere.

Wife and I both found the fitness center well appointed and she greatly enjoyed her massage. As Diamonds, we used the spa access to enjoy some shower-and-sauna time.

Living as we do in suburban Chicago, we found no store in the big mall nearby that we don't have in our local shopping area. Generally, it's a rather boring area. However, the local hockey team (the Florida Everblades) play hard and were a cheap and fun night out despite the rain. On the one relatively sunny day we drove inland an hour to the Corkscrew Swamp nature sanctuary (owned by the Audobon society) and greatly enjoyed the 2.5 mile boardwalk. Lots of interesting birds, a couple of alligators, plus some education about how the buildup of Florida has affected the ecology by changing the way water flows.

Overall, I give it the following grades:

Staff : A-
RC : A
Resort features : B
Value : A+ (free nights - how can it be otherwise?)
Food : N/A (did not use restaurants)
Bar : B+ (would be A with better entertainment)
Area attractions : C (not much near the hotel)

Overall : B+.

If the weather's good and you can stay at the hotel to enjoy its facilities, you'll like it. If the weather's bad you're at risk of boredom.

Last edited by jtaft; Mar 25, 2010 at 10:49 am Reason: added post-trip notes
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:38 am
Suspended

Economy back again ?

Bonita Springs is more than 100 % more expensive than last year in early May. Can I expect to have one or two hot options at the RC in the evening or is there anything else justifying $ 325 + for a weekday in early May ?

Did anyone stay there recently ?
Old May 13, 2010, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Rates dropped to the low 200's and were appr. 20-25% more expensive in comparison to 2009 during my stay there recently. Occupancy is up significantly from last year. Summer rates should drop to the 130-150's ^

Nor1 upgrades included the Bay Suite for $ 90 and Island Suite for $ 110, both very reasonably offers in my book.

Check-in was a desaster, the lonely manager on duty appeared to be close to the end of her shift and it showed, no Diamond Amenity offered and no AAA breakfast coupons provided, only the standard folder given out, including the activity overview, boat schedule and 10% off cert for the spa including free entrance as a Diamond, a $ 30 value per person ! ^

I requested a king room away from the infamous A/C vents on the roof of the attached conference center building to the north of the tower and received a corner room in the opposite direction on one of the two RC floors with three balconies, including one from the bathroom. Bathroom is very light with a view down to coast towards Naples, however still features a very old and very basic shower head.

Went down to the Regency Club for a quick check what is offered during the lunch/early afternoon hours and found the club to be deserted. Nuts, crackers and some cookies were offered aside from still and sparkling water ( Perrier ) Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and Sierra Mist. It seems that the self made lemonade also became a victim of the Regency Club enhancements...

Dinner service is still a shadow of its glory days as one of the top Regency Clubs in the US, hot appetizers are still gone. Aside from the usual veggies and cheeses, several self-made dips and crackers were offered, actually a nice idea, however they should add some small cards pointing out the ingredients. We really enjoyed the spicy bruchetta like tomato and onion dip variety and the steamed zucchini, a strange dish on offer was a strawberry filled with brie cheese...

Desserts included some very decent self made pastries that were offered from 5.30 until 9 p.m.

Back in the days, when the club was open until 10, the after snack hour dessert set up was quite famous, nowadays the club closes at 9 p.m.

The breakfast was a typical Regency Club Continental Breakfast, nothing to write home about, including smoked salmon. We preferred the full buffet downstairs, which is one of the better buffets systemwide in the US and features dishes like Bircher Muesli or Fajitas, so some offers outside of the usual arrangements with eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage...

We took the boat to the island on several days and were once again impressed by the variety of wildlife only a few yards away from the shore, including dolphins hunting 10 yards away or stingrays jumping out of the water only some more yards away. The island is still subject to massive erosion, however still a major competitive advantage and one of the reasons we return frequently.

Service at check out was significantly better, two well knows agents on duty including a lady with a German name manning the Diamond/Platinum line. Internet was not taken of the bill, but this seems to be the running gag of the property, at least for me with three stays there since April 1, 2009.

They have new cushions for all the beach chairs, the old ones were borderline disgusting with tons of stains and cuts, which was appreciated by the significant other.

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
at this time, I think Clearwater will give BS a run but of course that remains to be seen.
Under the bottom line, Bonita is still a very nice resort with a solid Regency Club and far superior to the Regency Clearwater, which is a beach hotel, but not a real resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.