Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coconut Pointe (Bonita Springs, FL) Resort REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Amazed

Originally Posted by CWAnderson
I agree on the "hit or miss" comment. This weekend being a "miss" for us.

I am amazed at the hit/miss --especially since we're at the resort at the same time. At check-in, there were four women who greeted me and checked me in. They thanked me for my return business (they said a pop-up appears on their screen when you 1st check-in, alerting the desk of your GP status and how many times you've stayed at the resort) and worked their computers for a bit to get me the best available room. While my suite is a few floors from the RC floor (they said the RC floor is sold-out), they did key my room keycard to allow for access to the 17th floor... and assured me I'd have access...which I have. The RC is somewhat full at mealtimes, but I've seen it 2-3x more crouded. You should mention to the manager you're disappointed with your treatment as a Diamond and see what, if anything they can do.
Old Oct 16, 2005, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by stephem
....We used the concierge to try to find a nice place for dinner off premises in Naples. He recommended several places, we had some detailed back and forth about ambience, style of food and the "color" of the restuarants, ultimately we thought we got him to understand what we were looking for and he recommended a place called Zoe. It turned out to a nice enough place (quite nice actually) but there was a place down the street called something like Bistro21 that was more our style (a bit younger and hipper). In addition, the waiter at Zoe mistakenly sized us up as young vacationers who weren't going to spend much. By the time he realized he was wrong he had already made some misteps. Anyway, not a bad recommendation, but I've had much better concierges and it was clear when we walked by the other place that it was what the concierge should have receommended......
Zeo's and Bistro 821 are both good recommendations (hip, young .. they could be in NYC, Milano ...). The concierge really couldn't know, that you might run in a "bad waiter".
I personally like Café Lurcat and Campiello more.
Look here: http://web.naplesnews.com/sections/diningarchive/

I have been several times at Hyatt Coconut Beach (for meetings etc.). I like the hotel, and the service was always nice and friendly ....
I believe your "problems" started, when they didn't "recognize" you at check-in ....
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Terrapin
I would appreicate any comments on this property. If I stay there, I will be using points to upgrade to Regency Club Level and any thoughts on the RC would be appreciated as well. Thank again to all. Terrapin
I had a nice vacation there last year ... lovely property. But the RC was TERRIBLE! The worst I've ever had (actually 2nd worst ... worst place goes to Hyatt Regency MIA!) The staff in the club were rude, buffet not restocked, dirty dishes left on table and not cleared, hot food was cold and cold food hot. I was ver disappointed with this aspect ... but would still return to the hotel.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by Humshee
I had a nice vacation there last year ... lovely property. But the RC was TERRIBLE! The worst I've ever had (actually 2nd worst ... worst place goes to Hyatt Regency MIA!) The staff in the club were rude, buffet not restocked, dirty dishes left on table and not cleared, hot food was cold and cold food hot. I was ver disappointed with this aspect ... but would still return to the hotel.

Was there in September. The RC was clean and the food good. The staff was quite pleasant if perhaps not up to the SF and HNL standards.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Just returned from 5 nights at the HR Coconut Point and the stay was absolutely terrific (except for my 2 kids fighting all the time and both of them being a bit under the weather).

There were two hiccups, but each was resolved very quickly --

First, when we checked in we were told that the RC was going to be totally full, and that although I was a Diamond (and staying with points went unsaid) that I couldn't immediately have access to the RC. OK, so 5 hours later Mrs. Meducate went back and they happily provided us with access for the remainder of the trip!

Second, we were all in the room one morning at about 10 AM when there was a knock on the door. My 7 year old opened it and there were 2 men from housekeeping. I asked what they wanted, but instead of telling me from the door, they barged in; we were in no way ready to receive visitors so I, in my typical NY way, told them to get out until they were invited in. They cut a BIG attitude and walked away. Later that morning they gave us a huge attitude when we walked by. That afternoon, a couple of inconsequential items (crackers, iced tea mix) turned up missing. A few visits and phone calls to the housekeeping supervisor and hotel mgr took care of that situation, with GP points, a HUGE food and wine basket, and a promise of definitive employee action for the obvious breach in ethics.

The great thing was that EVERY person that we spoke to apologized and reinforced that this isn't the Hyatt way, but more, that this was not reflective of this entire property.

On the positive, there was Tony, the Guest Services Manager. He was by far the nicest and most helpful and friendly (underline that friendly part) Hyatt staffer that I have encountered. He seemed to truly love his job, and he made the stay more pleasant both in and out of the lounge for not just us but many other guests. If you stay at this property hunt him out and let him know that you heard how great he was!!!!

We found the pools to be nice, and never overcrowded. You could almost always find a good spot in the shade or the sun, depending on your preference, at any time of the day during a very crowded time.

The food was great-both in the hotel and at the places outside that we went.

All in all, a great trip. ^ ^ ^

Last edited by meducate; Jan 2, 2006 at 6:49 am
Old May 27, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Mrs. Jayer was there last week and came home terribly impressed with the Regency Club. Much better than a year ago. There is a new host personality named Anthony. Favorable mention to the scallops, smoked salmon, and petit fores. Checkin went well and felt suitably sucked up to, other than forgetting the Diamond Ameneity, but apologies all around after she menetioned something suttle. (I'm sure it was very suttle; something like "Where's the freaking Diamond card")? Makes me sad our Diamond Status is doomed.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:00 pm

The Beach is Building Back

The shuttle beach on Hickory Island is much improved. Not quite what it was before the hurricane, but much better than a year ago. Wish I would have gotten out of the river pool sooner and allocated a bit more time in the ocean. All in all very enjoyable place for a short stay.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:28 pm

Back last week for our annual short summer visit and overall quite pleased. The water off the beach was clearer than I've every seen it (possibly because its a dry year and rainfall drainage out the estuary is down), and no current. After Hawaii it takes some getting used to, but I've decided even with the slow boat out its really quite a peaceful place to soak.

Only complaint: walls not thick enough to block out loud children sounds. I think it was the same negligent mother who got loaded in the RC while her pre-school daughter nearly fell off the balcony. (Finally dad showed up and clued in). I've now joined the ranks of those of you who feel anyone under 18 should be banned from the RC.

I really love the place for a short stay on a slow week, but the thought of high season and a packed hotel is frightening. There may still be an opportunity for a good rate before red tide, followed by the high season people tide.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
because not good restaurant choices, it is expensive, not many activities, you are not a resort type person or .... ?

I really, really, really like the place, but that is assuming its warm enough to enjoy the ocean, the beach and all of the pools. If you are really into golf and I suppose tennis, you might like it longer at a time and in cooler weather. For reasons that make no real sense, I like to get away from this (or any) property to eat anything more exciting than breakfast or a snack (but I highly recommend the shrimp salad sandwich in the gift shop).

Perhaps its just personal preference. I can stay a week in Hawaii at Maui or Kauai and be sad to go. The Florida Hyatt resorts strike me as more of a multi-destination, hit two or three on the same trip thing if you stay that long.

For me, Bonita Springs just works well for a short trip, and then I've done it for the year. Its not a large resort with lots of activities. I suppose if you are jetting in from a cold place in the winter, it might still work.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Agreed

Originally Posted by jayer
For me, Bonita Springs just works well for a short trip, and then I've done it for the year. Its not a large resort with lots of activities. I suppose if you are jetting in from a cold place in the winter, it might still work.

I agree --Bonita Springs (and the Hyatt here) are nice visits for a 3-day weekend.... but I probably wouldn't stay here for much longer than that. The spa/eateries in the resort are priced high ...and you need to travel a bit once off resort grounds to get to other nice places to eat unlike other resort locations where a slew of places to hang out, eat, drink may exist within walking distance.

I too like this hotel a lot ...and have had positive experiences from the staff... but just wouldn't enjoy spending more than 3-4 days tops here.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:18 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Just completed a stay here. It's a very nice place, and while not as impressive to me as Lake Tahoe or Gainey Ranch, this resort is just a notch below.

Arrival was fine. I opted for self-parking for my stay, and don't understand why anyone would ever choose valet unless you're lazy or just have money to burn because there are plenty of parking spaces and you can park inside the garage, very close to the elevator entrance that will take you straight up to your room.

When I checked in, they offered me a glass of champagne and asked if they could call me when my room would be ready. I was in no rush and said that was fine. As I mentioned in my last post, the 1-800-CHECKIN rep informed me that this hotel did not participate in that, which I guess is a recent development, since others have reported being able to check in via 1-800-CHECKIN.

I got room 1526 which was an oversized King room, with access to the Regency Club on 17. Honestly I was expecting a suite because the front desk rep must have told me 5 times "You won't regret waiting for this room. it's a very nice room." But the room was very spacious, with a nice walk-out balcony (note: some balconies at the hotel are not walk-out) overlooking a great view of the Gulf. One note about the room: it was a handicapped room, which I didn't mind.

I took the bonus points, so I have no idea what the Diamond amenity is. The Regency Club is great with a nice spread of cold cuts, smoked salmon with toppings, fruit, cereals, granola and all sorts of breads and muffins. During the day, they have a plate of cookies and brownies. In the evening, they serve two hot items as well as an antipasto plate and veggies. Alcohol is free and the coffee machine makes very nice cappuccinos. From 8-9PM, they serve some small desserts. One thing that would have been nice though would have been free wifi in the club. I had to use T-Mobile.

The pools are very nice. There are three or four of them and I never had a problem finding a chair. I had heard some nice things about the pools over at the Vacation Club, but never got a chance to go over there. For beach access, you take a boat ride out to Hickory Island. It's a nice beach, albeit a bit narrow. I'm not a big beach person, and so two hours was plenty for me. It's really too bad there is no food whatsoever on the island. Even a small stand would have been nice, and i'm sure would have made a killing.

You can play golf and tennis at the Raptor Bay Club. The fee for tennis is $25/hour, but I just walked on with my friend and we played for a couple of hours, and no one ever came out, nor did anyone ever take the other court.

You can also rent DVDs for free in the 24hr coffee shop They have an ok library, but bring your own if you want to take advantage of the player in your room. The room also has an empty fridge if you want to store food.

This is a very nice property, but I agree with others that 2 or 3 days is plenty. Everyone at the hotel kept saying they were almost sold out, but I never felt that in terms of waits or crowds. This hotel treats Diamonds well with access to the club, as well as a waiver of the resort fee. For an award stay, I was more than satisfied.

Last edited by thc; Feb 4, 2008 at 6:03 pm
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thumbs up

Stayed here for the second time just recently. This time just to get away. I will say it felt like there were only 10 people staying in the whole hotel. Being no corporate events, school being back in, and hurricane season.

We had every pool to ourselves. May one other person laying out but that was it!

The lazy river and other pools at the vacation club are much better...imo. No slide but a basketball hoop in the pool. And the hot tub was tucked away in a rocky area and had a waterfall with it.

The beach had one other person on it when we were there. The tide was really high and the current has real strong so we did not stay long.

The room was nice again. This time just the basic. king with no balcony. But even the no balcony rooms have a balcony that you can stand out on but are not very big, but they are there. But we were on the gulf side so views were good.

Staff is great...always there to help!

Great place to stay especially when you have the whole place to yourself!!!

O...and there is a parking garage underneath that makes getting in and out 10 times easier than walking out the front and through the lobby.

This is one of my favorites and you will not be disappointed!
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
This is my favourite hotel in Florida - stayed there recently for a few days and although the weather was a little chilly the sun was shining

We were upgraded to a room on the RC floor with great views and close to the RC. Very friendly front desk staff and a glass of champagne while we were checking in. The hotel was very quiet and the pool areas were very quiet during the day.

The RC is very good and unusually in the US the drinks in the evening are free. Nice breakfast spread and very good food selection in the evening. One observation is that there is not a dedicated RC concierge - seems to be a duty that is allocated on a day by day basis. I find that where there are dedicated staff, such as Lake Tahoe and Seattle, that the concierge is a great asset to the guests.

I found that restaurants on site such as Tanglewood and Tarpon were very good value compared to outside hotels which surprised me.

Will be returning in early 2009 hopefully
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

We just had a one day stay at this property. thc has done an excellent job describing the facility, and I will not repeat that. The hotel was fine as an overnight stop on a road trip. It was not somewhere I'd make a special trip to stay.

We were greeted warmly on arrival, and upgraded to the concierge floor. Our room was a typical hotel room, a bed, a chair, a desk, and a flat panel TV set inside a cabinet. The bathroom was small with a shower/tub combo. We had a pretty view across the winding bay and a bridge to the water. The lounge was comfortable, with a complimentary computer.

The hotel is not in a town nor is it on the ocean. There is no direct road access to the ocean. Rather, you have to drive out of the property to the main road, take it south (or north) a few miles, then take a road over to the ocean. It took one hour to drive from the hotel to the south out to the ocean, up to the north then back to the inland road that would return us to the hotel.

There is a massive shopping center across the main road. There is an outlet center by I-75 and Corkscrew Road, about 5 miles away. There are a lot of restaurants by the ocean in Fort Myers Beach, which is an attractive, very touristic area.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 2:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Willie, I have a restaurant recommendation just for you. It's hole in the wall, fall off the bone, good bbq, about 20 miles south. It's a great stop should you be taking Route 41 thru the Everglades to or from Miami to the hotel.

Brown Bag BBQ
4748 Golden Gate Parkway #4
Open 11am to 7pm
Very limited menu, but who cares when the ribs are so good. There are two grotty tables and chairs; otherwise, it is take out.

Review

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.